Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Trip Planning Florida
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.
Discount Florida Car Hire
Unread 14 Jun 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Starlet
Excited about Disney

Universal Holiday help - first time

Hello All,

Found myself lucky enough to be able to return to Orlando November this year.
We visited for the first time almost two years ago and did Disney only and stayed onsite with the DDP.

We are 2 adults 2 kids (ages will be 16 and 10)

This time we are staying at Endless Summer (the two bed suite sold it to me) and are visiting Universal Parks and I have purchased the Discovery Cove ultimate ticket too.

We will not be going to Disney and don't have much experience with paying for food all holiday.

So firstly I'm after advise on spending money. What have you roughly spent on food and odd bits and bats. I will be making use of either the universal cups over the freestyle coke one I think. We will visit a supermarket and get cereals and milks for the room etc for most mornings (not every)
I've browsed at some universal menu's when reading about dining plans etc the prices don't seem too unreasonable for in park prices?

Also would love suggestions for places to eat? we've never really ventured I drive.

Is it optimistic to be able to walk to the parks from our hotel? ( we dont mind walking) or would you just get the shuttle?

Also for those that know the locations better what is in walking distance of the hotel? and do most eatery places require you to jump on the trolley?

Anybody know how I book my transportation to busch gardens ( I booked through virgin) or does it go through the discovery cove ticket some other way?

I want to book a day at Kennedy Space Centre too everyone seems to recommend it.

Many many thanks in advance.
Starlet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Endless Summer - 1st Universal Exp
Unread 14 Jun 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I think the shuttle is best, not sure if you would have to cross any roads and they are busy around there.
Use Google maps to look around the area for restaurants, I did this for the area I stayed in and picked up loads if places.

The freestyle cups are great value, you wont need 1 each as you can just refill it as needed.

The 3 broomsticks is supposed to be good food, have a look at rix flix on u tube as he does some good stuff about the parks.

June 2006, August 2007, September 2018, January 2019

Going in September 2019
lizzie145 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Need to ride
Unread 14 Jun 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
slightly serious Dibber

There should be a desk in reception to book your Busch transfer from the universal bus loop if its anything like the other universal hotels. 😊
Unread 14 Jun 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
floridavisitor
Imagineer

Mobile

A quick Google suggests it is a 45 minute walk, I'd take the shuttle
floridavisitor is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I won't ever wear a big fanny
floridavisitor is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Listener
Unread 15 Jun 19, 04:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Batman1
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

We are just about to go home after 2 weeks. We also have 2 around the same age. We also done universal and no Disney.
My advice...

Don't eat in universal.

If you can, go in the morning and get a breakfast in IHOP, dennys or similar. it will keep you going until the evening. You can take a sub roll or snacks into universal if you think you'll need a snack.
The price of the crap food in the parks is not worth it. Get a good breakfast for half the money and then get your meal out in the evening wherever you fancy.
Batman1 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Orlando first timers
Unread 15 Jun 19, 07:33 AM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Excited about Disney

Take a look at some vlogs, the despicable 3 have just done universal/ I drive. The have just posted a vlog on food at universal and thrive next one will be about food on I drive... they give you prices too so that will help.
From experience we would breakfast before we went in, take water with us, snack whilst in the parks then eat a meal later at one of the many restaurants around I drive such as chillis, Miller's, I hop or Dennys. We have done things the other way round to you... previously staying offsite in a villa last 2 visits and doing mostly universal. This time we are staying onsite at Disney with ddp.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CBR, qsdp, first time staying onsite.
Unread 15 Jun 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
kev007
Apprentice Imagineer

kev007's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi

We've been back a week since 10 days on I drive, we stayed at the rosen Inn nearest universal so very close to where you have booked and it looked really nice.

It's about a 20 - 25 minute walk to universal, there are a couple of roads to cross but they have crossings so it's definitely doable although you may get hot

Not sure how universal is going to get people from the resort to the parks but expect it will be by shuttle buses.

If you do want to eat there, there's plenty of options at city walk, we quite like panda express for a quick meal. Restaurants in the park can be more expensive but we usually visit burger digs at IoA and Mels Diner at US as they seem a bit cheaper.

You'll be spilt for choice for restaurants near your hotel among possibilities are miller's ale House, sweet tomatoes, dennys, chilli's, Applebee's, red lobster etc. There's also a subway very close too if you just want a quick snack.

We also really enjoyed hash House a go go which is close and the portions are huge, you can easily share entrees.

Don't forget to sign up for vouchers before you go

Hope this helps, pm me if you need any more info!

Kev

kev007 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Pattfisherman
Earning My Ears

Mobile

It all depends on your budget, maybe you could do a mixture of eating in the parks and on I drive. Thats what we did, but there was only two of us. I drive you definitely get better prices but sometimes eating in the parks is just more convenient depending on your plans. Hope you enjoy whatever you do
Pattfisherman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Honeymoon
Attraction Tickets Direct