Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jun 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

For me, my ideal mid lifer would be a 67 Mustang Fastback.
But real world wish is a Nissan GT-R. Will do the commute run and ace track day car.

Only problem is I’m around £20k short!
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
They have pin to drive now, which I have on all the time, so even with the keys, they cannot drive it.
Look at second hand ones, I saw an S with only 17000 miles on it on Tesla owners club yesterday for under 40k. No petrol to pay for, no tax, and that one may have had lifetime supercharging for free. No service to have now either.
This will be my next car, im currently looking at an s p85d £35k if i can get it im gunna call it Kim, it nice but has a big rs 😎
Old 15 Jun 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
One of my friends has a Tesla he is a really tall guy and loves it he has said if he could have any car money no object it would be a Tesla though he had his first one stolen off of his drive.

I can’t afford a Tesla sadly and I want a Summer car that does. It have to be sensible and I want a soft top.i expect this car to live half the year in the garage
I’d missed the soft top bit. Have you had an up close look of the 911 cabrio? Not sure about the 996 but, in the 997, the roof mech / storage means the seat backs almost lean forward to the extent that sitting in the rear would almost seem unsafe.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
I’d missed the soft top bit. Have you had an up close look of the 911 cabrio? Not sure about the 996 but, in the 997, the roof mech / storage means the seat backs almost lean forward to the extent that sitting in the rear would almost seem unsafe.
No I have tried the GT4 which was fine, but I do want a soft top is only for a 9year old in back but of course if that was not safe it’s a show stopper.

I ordered a new van 4 weeks ago and what a nightmare because I want to have a passenger airbag and automatic and 180 cameras I ordered originally from Vauxhall two weeks later after paying the deposit they told me they could not get it built with the airbags. I ended up ordering the same van from Citroen they can do it but I ordered 3 weeks ago and won’t get until the beginning of August. I could have had it the next week without passenger airbags !
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

There was a huge engine change introduced mid way through the 997 range. The two 997 designations are 997.1 and 997.2.
The earlier ones (996 and 997.1) have potentially major mechanical issues relating to a bearing (IMS) and an oil seal (RMS). Failure can blow an engine (£10K+ to fix).
The 997.2 has a brand new and fantastic engine which to date is deemed very reliable.

Buy the right car and keep it good and you will lose very little money. Mine is actually worth more than I paid. If you for for a GTS, they just keep going up in value.

The Cayman is arguable a better car - but the problem is that it isn't a 911.

I went for the 997.2 (C4S) and still have it. Amazing car. I use it every day and have had zero issues in 5 years. It did take me 2 years to find the right car.

I previously had a 987 Boxster which was also great, but shared the same engine that had the problems. This was the reason I sold it. I did have the RMS replaced at £600 but the stress of having the IMS go was too much for me.

Edited at 09:35 AM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Thanks my friend’s dad had the 996 Turbo he bought it for £22k and sold for £56k he now has a GT3 and my friend (his son) GT4.

I am in no hurry but have always wanted one and now am in the position I can get one but it has to be right, I don’t think I can afford the 997.2 yet but nit far off maybe I need to wait a bit. I also need to have a close up look at the softop to check the backs seats are ok for DD.

Th Caymen has no back seats fro me a problem and I think it’s a bit new money.

I had a look at a boxter a few years ago but it was not what I wanted.

Edited at 03:11 PM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Thanks my friend’s dad had the 996 Turbo he bought it for £22k and sold for £56k he now has a GT3 and my friend (his son) GT4.

I am in no hurry but have always wanted one and now am in the position I can get one but it has to be right, I don’t think I can afford the 997.2 yet but nit far off maybe I need to wait a bit. I also need to have a close up look at the softop to check the backs seats are ok for DD.

Th Caymen has no back seats fro me a problem and I think it’s a bit new money.

I had a look at a boxter a few years ago but it was not what I wanted.
The 996 turbos have a totally different engine known as the Mezger engine and is an amazing engine and totally reliable.
Turbos in most 911 models hold and increase their value over time. GT2/3 will also hold their values. GT4 sort of do as well.
Personally, if you are near to being able to go for a 997.2 - personally I would wait. That is in fact what I did. But in that time I looked at dozens but wouldn't have bought any of them. I was looking for a perfect car with low mileage. My patience paid off as I found a silver C4S with 4000 miles (2009 model and I bought in 2014). It had never been driven in the wet. It was basically part of a collection - a "garage queen". It had a really nice specification. I added Cruise and the Sport/Sport+ options.
Every time I drive it makes me smile. Plan to keep it for considerable time as there isn't another car that interests me.
If you are after a soft top - just make sure this is 100% what you want. I loved the boxster and wondered if I would miss the sift top. My 911 has a sunroof; and with the windows down, this gives much of the same enjoyment and is arguably more practical. But I need it for every day use rather than sunshine use.
Good luck with the search.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My guess is the 997 has maybe another year or so before prices hit their rock bottom. I agree with TSpill - hang on if necessary to get one of these (specifically a 997.2).

With the 997.2 being the last of the hyraulic assisted steering and pretty much the last of the normally aspirated I think it will do well. I can see it possibly eclipsing 991.1 prices one day.

Best 911 I’ve driven was a 997.2 GTS4. The power kit that comes as standard (with the trick induction manifold) made it sound great. It was a cabrio, hence my earlier comment re rear space.

Get this. It was actually my courtesy car when getting my lowly Boxster S serviced. Had it for the day then they let me try the Cayman R for an hour at the end. Took the day off work to make the most of all this 😀
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
My guess is the 997 has maybe another year or so before prices hit their rock bottom. I agree with TSpill - hang on if necessary to get one of these (specifically a 997.2).

With the 997.2 being the last of the hyraulic assisted steering and pretty much the last of the normally aspirated I think it will do well. I can see it possibly eclipsing 991.1 prices one day.

Best 911 I’ve driven was a 997.2 GTS4. The power kit that comes as standard (with the trick induction manifold) made it sound great. It was a cabrio, hence my earlier comment re rear space.

Get this. It was actually my courtesy car when getting my lowly Boxster S serviced. Had it for the day then they let me try the Cayman R for an hour at the end. Took the day off work to make the most of all this 😀
I agree the 997.2 prices will start to hold up much better than the 991. The 991 was a major shift from a more sports orientated car to grand tourer so I think the 997.2 will go like the 993 which was the last of the air cooled versions.
I have looked at the 991 a number of times but much prefer what I have and have decided to keep it long term.
And I simply don't like the 992 at all. I was invited to the launch which was great - but the car disappoints in my view.