Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jul 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
And paper rounds? How many people even buy a paper these days let alone have one delivered.
Yes, good point. That was my first job before moving to Saturday employment. Week 1 was during the hurricane in '88. Didn't stop me heading out - I was that committed!
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

It's not just youngsters... some of the established older folk in my place of work are apathetic, mouth-breathing wastes of oxygen, the sense of entitlement to their inflated salaries (for semi-skilled at best) astounds... Our apprentices are, by and large, more driven and focussed that some of the dinosaurs they'll replace in years ahead.

Having said that, some of the established are fantastic mentors, and some of the kids are entitled knobs also... One size does not fit all.

Back to the Pound... the panel to the right shows todays highest (John Lewis, $1.2364 at time of typing) is actually down from yesterday (again, John Lewis, $1.240something iirc)...

So much for the S*n and it's hailing the BoJo effect. I hope the Queen pretends she ain't in.
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
There are plenty of things todays youngsters can do to get themselves ready for the workplace - however they seem to want to walk in to the plum jobs without working their way up.

Paper rounds/volunteering - anything that shows a bit of comittment and willing goes a long way.

Yes - hardly the most glamorous of positions but its a tough environment out there and (some) kids seem more than willing to let life pass them buy rather than put in ANY effort!
That’s one heck of a blanket statement! Personally I have hired both young and old people. Some are great and some are rubbish. It’s by no means a generational thing.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
That’s one heck of a blanket statement! Personally I have hired both young and old people. Some are great and some are rubbish. It’s by no means a generational thing.
You will see that I say "Some" kids

I also posted earlier and said its not ALL kids!

And yes I come across plenty of adults who are worse - my own BIL for instance - never worked even though he's an extremely capable carpenter and only 1 of his 5 kids works!
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by kcanderson View Post
Mr project fear still in full swing on this forum i see
I remember back at the end of June 2016 when some people here on the DIBB were pointing out the bad exchange rate due to the referendum result and that the rate was expected to remain low for several months. Others were saying that it was a short term blip and the exchange rate would bounce back to above $1.50 in a week or so once the markets realised what a good thing Brexit was. Back then the phrase "Project Fear" was used to dismiss people's concerns.

About 4 months later and the exchange rate was still poor - even worse than at the end of June. Some people on here pointed out that most financial experts were predicting the rate would stay lower than the pre-referendum rate for the next 18 months or so whilst Brexit was negotiated. Again, the phrase "Project Fear" was thrown around.

It's now 3 years on since the referendum. Even though we still haven't actually left the EU yet the exchange rate is still poor. It's currently at a worse rate than it was a couple of days after the referendum. Talking solely about the exchange rate, at what point does "Project Fear" become "Project Reality" for some people? Is 3 years not enough time to realise that, yes, the exchange rate is low due to Brexit and, no, it won't bounce back in a week or two?

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Clearly it hasn't been the end of the world as predicted and unlikely to be the end of the world when it happens.
No one here on the DIBB has ever predicted it will be the end of the world. Or even the end of the UK. Not seriously. That's just what Brexiteers say.

All Remainers here on the DIBB are saying is that they think the UK will be worse off because of Brexit. Our pound is currently weaker, the exchange rate is currently worse and Brexit hasn't happened yet. Depending on how we leave the EU will determine how worse off we'll be in the short-to-medium term (perhaps longer, perhaps not). We will be worse off but it won't be the end of the world.

Similarly it wouldn't be the end of the world if we remained in the EU either.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
WOW!

You see it all the time - 20/25 year olds who have a degree but not a clue on how the world actually works.
That's true for some. It was also true 20 or 30 years ago (I know because I was one of them).

Nothing has really changed. There are some young adults who are perfectly capable, some who aren't. There are lots of kids who have Saturday jobs (my DD has one) but also some who don't (I didn't when I was a teenager). And, yes, some kids have a heightened sense of entitlement - so do some adults. That as true now as it was back 20 years ago.

We recruit graduates straight out of uni where I work and the ones we recruit seem to be reasonably capable. They may not have much in the way of life experiences - I wouldn't expect them to - but they seem keen, willing to learn and are hard workers. They are a lot keener than us 40 and 50 year olds, many of whom are stuck in our old ways, don't like "change", and have been worn away by the daily grind.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
That's true for some. It was also true 20 or 30 years ago (I know because I was one of them).

Nothing has really changed. There are some young adults who are perfectly capable, some who aren't. There are lots of kids who have Saturday jobs (my DD has one) but also some who don't (I didn't when I was a teenager). And, yes, some kids have a heightened sense of entitlement - so do some adults. That as true now as it was back 20 years ago.

We recruit graduates straight out of uni where I work and the ones we recruit seem to be reasonably capable. They may not have much in the way of life experiences - I wouldn't expect them to - but they seem keen, willing to learn and are hard workers. They are a lot keener than us 40 and 50 year olds, many of whom are stuck in our old ways, don't like "change", and have been worn away by the daily grind.
All very true, I manage a pub and during the summer when the university students are around you get a few 'duff' one's but for the most part it's like a breath of fresh air, a complete lack of the usual cynicism that I'm often confronted with and a willingness to do and learn things a little differently

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
All Remainers here on the DIBB are saying is that they think the UK will be worse off because of Brexit. Our pound is currently weaker, the exchange rate is currently worse and Brexit hasn't happened yet. Depending on how we leave the EU will determine how worse off we'll be in the short-to-medium term (perhaps longer, perhaps not). We will be worse off but it won't be the end of the world.

Similarly it wouldn't be the end of the world if we remained in the EU either.

Agree if we stayed in it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I was just trying to say that there seems to be a patronising "we know best" on the radio phone ins i Iisten to ...from remainers.

It's a shame it has become so devisive and (just saying) from what I listen and read it's very much coming from the remain side... on phone ins!

Anyway we have overcome much bigger issues in the UK than Brexit.
The dollar rate discussed on here isn't the big problem it sometimes claims to be for tourists going for a couple of weeks maybe some small cutbacks per day.

Edited at 07:00 PM.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Oh I don't know what I've done trying to "quote"! I'm rubbish at this.

The first part of my post was a quote from nimbus
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Mobile

$1.03 on offer at Travelex at Heathrow this morning.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List