Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 27 Sep 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney1sttimers
slightly serious Dibber

European train trip

After the last few years travelling to far flung places I have decided that its time to cross a few places off my bucket list that are much closer to home. We are thinking of travelling around Europe by train. The proposed itinerary would be something like this:

Fly Dublin to Milan (3 nights)
Train from Milan to Venice (3 nights)
Train from Venice to Vienna (1 night)
Train from Vienna to Krakow (3 nights)
Train from Krakow to Prague (2 nights)
Train from Prague to Munich (3 nights)
Train from Munich to Salzburg (3 nights)
Train from Salzburg to Zurich (1 night)
Train from Zurich to Paris/DLP (5 nights)
Fly home from CDG to Dublin

Are we mad? We know a couple of the routes take in excess of 6 hours but some look rather scenic and after our epic trip to Australia this year we thought it would make a change from plane travel. We have considered sleeper trains but decided its not really our style.

Just wondered if any Dibbers had done anything similar. Any tips on where to stay and what to do? Top of the list is Auschwitz, Milan Duoma, St Mark’s Square and a Sound of Music tour in Salzburg, and not forgetting Disneyland Paris of course!

We appreciate this will only give us a tiny flavour of the cities concerned but we can always return to any that we are wowed by. The trip would be next July and there will be myself and my 17 year old daughter.
Disney1sttimers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I have no experience but it looks great! I did some train travel in Italy this summer and the trains were great.

Have you looked at the inter rail website? It’s not just for kids backpacking! Might be worth looking into it and pricing up tickets as may work out cheaper for the amount of trains you are doing!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

For really good info, try seat61/
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Second seat61 website, very useful info. We've done a couple of train trips. Personal style, I prefer at least two nights in each place. Three nights is great. We now travel with small people! Id price individual point to point train tickets (usually cheap if booked in advance) and compare with a pass. There are restrictions associated with passes, quotes and seat fees.

What do you want to do in Milan? I'd struggle to spend three nights there. I think there is more to do in Vienna. Individual cities TripAdvisor forums could be useful.

Edited at 06:45 PM.
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney1sttimers
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
I have no experience but it looks great! I did some train travel in Italy this summer and the trains were great.

Have you looked at the inter rail website? It’s not just for kids backpacking! Might be worth looking into it and pricing up tickets as may work out cheaper for the amount of trains you are doing!
I was put off by the restrictions of these passes but I'll take another look anyway, thank you.

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
For really good info, try seat61/
Fantastic website, will certainly help with the planning. Thanks.

Originally Posted by ashc13 View Post
Second seat61 website, very useful info. We've done a couple of train trips. Personal style, I prefer at least two nights in each place. Three nights is great. We now travel with small people! Id price individual point to point train tickets (usually cheap if booked in advance) and compare with a pass. There are restrictions associated with passes, quotes and seat fees.

What do you want to do in Milan? I'd struggle to spend three nights there. I think there is more to do in Vienna. Individual cities TripAdvisor forums could be useful.
A day trip to Lake Como from Milan appeals and as our flight from Dublin wouldn't arrive until 5pm, that would leave one full day in Milan. The stop in Vienna is intended just to break up the journey to Krakow. Is it worth a longer stay?
Disney1sttimers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
stockport1965
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney1sttimers View Post
After the last few years travelling to far flung places I have decided that its time to cross a few places off my bucket list that are much closer to home. We are thinking of travelling around Europe by train. The proposed itinerary would be something like this:

Fly Dublin to Milan (3 nights)
Train from Milan to Venice (3 nights)
Train from Venice to Vienna (1 night)
Train from Vienna to Krakow (3 nights)
Train from Krakow to Prague (2 nights)
Train from Prague to Munich (3 nights)
Train from Munich to Salzburg (3 nights)
Train from Salzburg to Zurich (1 night)
Train from Zurich to Paris/DLP (5 nights)
Fly home from CDG to Dublin

Are we mad? .
Nope not mad! Europe is beautiful. Have been to most places on the list. It really does depend on what you like. We don't do museums but love architecture and food.
Just back from Milan, 2 days was enough for us. Deffo go to Lake Como, we were there for 3 nights before Milan. Stunning!
What are you planning to do in Salzburg for 3 nights?
Zurich is OK but there are much better places in Switzerland.

Have fun
stockport1965 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Following

This is just what my 18 year old and I want to do next July before she heads off to uni. I thought we were a bit mad but this thread is incredibly useful.
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Charl_bb
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

No advice but I'm thinking of doing interrailing with my 8 and 5 year old sometime in the next few years so following with interest!
Charl_bb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney1sttimers
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by stockport1965 View Post
Nope not mad! Europe is beautiful. Have been to most places on the list. It really does depend on what you like. We don't do museums but love architecture and food.
Just back from Milan, 2 days was enough for us. Deffo go to Lake Como, we were there for 3 nights before Milan. Stunning!
What are you planning to do in Salzburg for 3 nights?
Zurich is OK but there are much better places in Switzerland.

Have fun

Thank you. The Sound of Music is one of my favourite films so we'd like to do a tour of all the SoM locations. We're also looking at a day trip to Eagle's Nest from Salzburg.

Switzerland has long been on my bucket list but it is so expensive. Salzburg to Zurich via the Arlberg Pass looks very scenic so I thought it made sense to stop over in Zurich for one night before heading to Paris. It seems too time consuming and costly to venture further into Switzerland.

FYI Louiseanne & Charl_bb I have done a rough cost comparison and booking individual tickets rather than using a rail pass seems more cost effective provided you book early, don't need flexibility and are ok with booking specific trains.
Old 6 Oct 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

I’ve been to Milan for a day trip from Bologna today. It’s beautiful. Buy your ticket online - the staff try and send you to a fast track ticket counter cost €25 instead of the €3.50 from the main shop of internet.

Went to Venice with my mum a couple years ago and suggest getting up early. I had seen advice to go up the bell tower as soon as it opens followed by St Marks and then book an 11am tour at the Doge’s palace so you miss lasts of people. I also loved murano and burano islands which we did as a boat trip..

Edited at 05:25 PM.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List