Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 23 Jul 17, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Meal options

Hi,
We have booked to take our DD, DSIL and 2 grandchildren to DLP next May...4 nights at Sante Fe. I have been before but it was many years ago when there was only the one park open.
I am quite confused by all the meal options. I was thinking of adding a half board plus meal plan to our booking but after looking at a chart showing which meals you take a loss on and which others we'll need to top up I'm tempted to just leave it and take the money we'll save and pay as we go.
We want to eat at Rainforest Cafe anyway and that isn't included. None of us like to eat as soon as we wake and would rather eat in the parks than our hotel.
What are everybody's views on the meal plans?
I'm also trying to work out how many character meals there are. I know Inventions is and there is a Princess meal but is there another character breakfast anywhere?
All advice welcome... thanks
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tubbsy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Tbh, I think it depends on the family. The vouchers can be quite restrictive.
If you think you would be better paying cash then do it.

You also have Plaza Gardens for character breakfast
Tubbsy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarryb
Apprentice Imagineer

Half board plus includes all of the restaurants on the standard plan, plus 3 more buffets (I think), and some table service restaurants, albeit with set menus.

I have had half and full board plus, granted both times it was free. It was also when the breakfast at the hotel was included in free plans.

Against popular opinion, I actually think the dining plans aren't that bad! I enjoyed the majority of meals that I had on the plan, as did my sister, and niece (8).

If you really don't want to use the set menus, you can use the vouchers at face value. But with a buffet, it's kinda a no brainer. If you consider the buffets are around €35 for an adult, in many cases without a drink, the vouchers do save you money. That's if you're going to eat in the buffets.

The plus plan includes buffets in sequoia lodge, Newport Bay club, and hotel new York (on top of the standard buffets). All of which are open only in the evening.

A counter service 'set' meal can be around €15. Just to put the prices into perspective.

I'm not actually sure if that answers any of your questions, as I've started rambling away!
Xx

Edited at 04:38 PM.
Sarryb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

As you've said, in general, meal plans are right for families who will save money on them, and not for those who won't.

There are probably some people who find them too restrictive and might be happier without a meal plan, even if it would have saved them a little money in the end. And there are others who might lose a little money with a plan, or who might have to adjust their dining choices to fit in with a plan, but who might still be happier with using vouchers rather than money.

I'm in the latter group - the prices are so high that it would spoil the holiday a bit knowing how much I was handing over at each meal. Much less stressful just handing over a little voucher for your meal and knowing it's all been paid for in advance! As it happens, I costed up the restaurants we wanted to eat in for each of our holidays (one in Cheyenne with the free breakfasts and a standard half-board plan, and one in the DLH with the premium half board plan) and both times it was cheaper to get meal plans than to pay in cash, so it's definitely the right choice for us.
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Thanks all... all opinions are appreciated... I think the way to go may be doing what Elodie has done and when we know where we want to eat cost everything up and see then if it is worth paying for. I can add it nearer the date if we decide to.
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List