Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Sep 19, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

This is really interesting. I have always assumed the flights home were bumpier and I have travel sickness. I get hot and clammy, a bit panicky, lightheaded and generally feel ill. I've not actually been sick but assumed that was due to luck or willpower. These days I tend to avoid eating on the return journey - which is probably adding to my problems.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gemini157 View Post
Does anyone have experience of this?

My OH and I were flying home overnight from Canada last October when she felt unwell. She got up to go to the loo, and while waiting in the aisle she fainted. I saw it but couldn't catch her in time
Oxygen was given, plus drink and food and in no time she was fine, and has remained so ever since.
I had heard of people feeling lightheaded or fainting on overnight transatlantic flights due to reduced oxygen, but never witnessed it.
When I told a friend she said this has happened to her on several overnight transatlantic flights!
We have been to Canada before and the US several times, all overnight return flights, and she has been fine.
We flew with Westjet (the only airline we could fly with to Nova Scotia) which is a budget airline so maybe that was why?
We are a little worried that it may happen again on our return flight from Orlando next April, but fingers crossed not.
At least we will recognise the signs now and can call for assistance rather than her stand up!
You are correct that they reduce the oxygen flow to aid sleep but it makes children and some people feel faint, lightheaded or vomit but think it’s due to fatigue . I keep our youngest awake now and he’s been fine since. Speak to your gp just to get checked out x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I sometimes get this too. I feel dizzy, lightheaded and sick. Last time I arrived at Gatwick after an overnight flight, I was really sick but then fine straight afterwards (no sickness bug etc). My sister suffers too. I always assumed it was low blood sugar and tiredness but I don’t know!
Old 5 Sep 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

When my DH fainted a couple of years ago the dr said the same be if the main causes is dehydration so that’s another thing to consider. I don’t know about others but I don’t drink quite enough water on a night flight so the could be a factor as well.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
I always have loads of mints & chewing gum to help got a flight returning from NY in the day time once was really happy, until they cancelled & had to go back on the night flight
Aww what a nightmare!🤦

Thats the sort of thing that would happen to me.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
This happened to my mother one time. I think it was in 2012. It hasn’t happened since, fingers crossed.
Old 5 Sep 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

I fainted once in the toilet. It was the middle of the flight and there was no queue. I came round fine and went back to my seat. My Mum commented when we landed that I had been a long time!
Another time I threw up just as they put the lights out.
But that's only twice out of many so I wouldn't say I was prone to it a lot.
Old 5 Sep 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

It happens to me on most flights and a couple of times in busy cramped places like theatres and pubs.

As it passes on flights after a full fat coke and deep breathing (and i faint ) all that is really necessary is a change of underwear and shirt as I am asking wet from sweats.

But once it happened in a theatre and they called an ambulance and carted me off. Was diagnosed as vasovagal synscope - apart from having to tell my travel insurers (as airlines report it as they could find out ) nothing more i can do
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I too struggled with the connection between LCC and fainting. But I suppose " I have to fly in business or first as I faint in economy " might be a justification to upgrade

Flying has lots of things that can cause faints , change in routine, dehydration, low blood sugar etc but if it happens every time I'd consult the doctor but not just for a one off.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I fainted on the way to Orlando, so not a night flight. We were just taxi-ing in to land and I started to feel very warm. The next thing I knew was I woke up with an oxygen mask on my face! I had drunk loads of water on the flight and ate my meals, so still not sure what caused it. I've a GP appointment next week to get BP and bloods checked. I have fainted before, but never on a flight. Not a great start to the holiday, but thankfully it didn't stop us having a fab time.