Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 29 Sep 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Xtinabella
Trying for More Ears

Xtinabella's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DVC points?

Hello out there -
Can anyone explain what DVC points are and how I can rent some?

I believe they can cut the price of some Disney accommodation but I have no clue.

Appreciate a walk through.

Xtinabella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Xtinabella View Post
Hello out there -
Can anyone explain what DVC points are and how I can rent some?

I believe they can cut the price of some Disney accommodation but I have no clue.

Appreciate a walk through.

You're right, renting points can save a lot of money, but there are a few slight negatives too.
Have a read through on this site dvcrequest/
It explains everything you need to know.

I copied this need to know info from a post on 'the other site'

• A DVC rental is basically a final transaction. Once booked, you pay for it. It generally cannot be cancelled or changed, unless you buy third-party travel insurance.
• You will not qualify for any other discounts from Disney.
No free dining, no room discount.
You also do not qualify for DVC member discounts or perks, like the lounges or pool hopping to other resorts.
• DVC rentals are best booked 11 months out, or no later than 7 months from check-in.
• Fall is DVC's highest demand period.
There are basically no studio villas on property from September through mid-January right now.
• As a renter, you are unlikely to get the cheapest units -- BWV Standard, BLT Standard, AKV Value.
• Some owners have a hard time booking them at 8AM 11 months out.
• CCV studios are also proving hard much of the year.
• You don't get daily Mousekeeping.
• You get towel service on Day 4 you are expected to wash and dry then re-use towels, or pay (about $6) for new ones.
DVC rooms have washer/dryers or washer and dryer.
• You can see the reservation on the My Disney Experience app once you have the reservation number (this will be sent to you once the owner has confirmation of the booking) but if you want to add dining or room requests, the owner of the points has to do that and you have to make full payment on booking.
Studio villas are equivalent or slightly smaller than most standard units. They sleep 4 people, some offer a cot or a sleeper sofa to sleep 5 but you have to provide your own bedding for the additional person.
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Xtinabella
Trying for More Ears

Xtinabella's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
You're right, renting points can save a lot of money, but there are a few slight negatives too.
Have a read through on this site dvcrequest/
It explains everything you need to know.

I copied this need to know info from a post on 'the other site'

• A DVC rental is basically a final transaction. Once booked, you pay for it. It generally cannot be cancelled or changed, unless you buy third-party travel insurance.
• You will not qualify for any other discounts from Disney.
No free dining, no room discount.
You also do not qualify for DVC member discounts or perks, like the lounges or pool hopping to other resorts.
• DVC rentals are best booked 11 months out, or no later than 7 months from check-in.
• Fall is DVC's highest demand period.
There are basically no studio villas on property from September through mid-January right now.
• As a renter, you are unlikely to get the cheapest units -- BWV Standard, BLT Standard, AKV Value.
• Some owners have a hard time booking them at 8AM 11 months out.
• CCV studios are also proving hard much of the year.
• You don't get daily Mousekeeping.
• You get towel service on Day 4 you are expected to wash and dry then re-use towels, or pay (about $6) for new ones.
DVC rooms have washer/dryers or washer and dryer.
• You can see the reservation on the My Disney Experience app once you have the reservation number (this will be sent to you once the owner has confirmation of the booking) but if you want to add dining or room requests, the owner of the points has to do that and you have to make full payment on booking.
Studio villas are equivalent or slightly smaller than most standard units. They sleep 4 people, some offer a cot or a sleeper sofa to sleep 5 but you have to provide your own bedding for the additional person.
Thank you so much! At last a comprehensive explanation.
Grateful x
Xtinabella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Dvc is Disney’s timeshare. The rooms are self catering studios or apartments not hotel rooms. It’s a small distinction but it’s important.

You get at least one sofa bed or Murphy bed. So during the day you have a living area but at night someone is likely to be on a sofa bed.

You get a kitchen or kitchenette. Studios have a microwave and toaster. Larger apartments have a full kitchen. I love the apartments with the full kitchen. You also got laundry facilities in the larger apartments but not in a studio.

As it’s a timeshare you need to get a member to book. And once you have booked you can’t cancel. If I have booked it for someone I would attempt to change the booking if there was availability but it’s up to the owner.

The rooms costs a set number of points per night from 13 to a lot depending on the size or room. Location. And date.

If you want a large apartment equivalent to off site it will be expensive. But the studios and one beds can be good value.

You would stay in a deluxe hotel for much less than the cash price.

It’s room only so you buy your tickets elsewhere and you don’t get Disney dining plan.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Look here for points calculator and budget £10-12 per point.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/dvc_points.php
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Disney Vacation Club is a timeshare based on points.

Owners buy a number of points at a chosen deluxe Disney resort (if you are talking about a WDW holiday, then those resorts are- Animal kingdom Villas, Bay Lake Tower, Villas at the Grand Floridian, Polynesian Villas & bungalows, Copper Creek & Boulder Ridge at Wilderness Lodge, Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas and the new Riviera resort). There are also vacation clubs in California, Hawaii, Vero beach & Hilton Head.

If you want to rent points from an owner, you need to find someone willing to rent out their points to you - either on here (I have rented successfully) or via an agent (I’ve rented out points at David’s DVC rentals - again very successfully). BUT it is a transaction that carries some risk on both parts - mainly for you renting though - as you will be paying for accommodation,but the owner will still own the booking & could take your money and cancel the booking. Now that is hopefully rare, as I’d like to believe more people are honest than not, but I would do my homework and make sure I trusted someone fully before renting - I’ve done so twice and it was a huge success!

If you decide you want to rent, you need to google ‘dvc Point charts’ (I think they might also be posted on the DVC board here?) and decide where and when you want to stay, size of accommodation and view type - the chart then tells you the price per night and you calculate how many points you need to rent.

Owners can book their ‘home resort’ (where they own) at 11 months out and any other resort at 7 months out. Peak places and peak times are fully booked by owners at 11 months (such as Copper creek for Christmas, value rooms at Animal Kingdom all year round now seemingly! - but there are many others), hence why as an owner I rented points from someone, knowing I’d not get what I wanted at a resort I didn’t own at 7 months out.

Hope this makes sense ? Good luck!

ETA - I’m obviously a slow Typer as all of those posts weren’t there when I started typing! Oops! 🙂

Edited at 08:11 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

I forgot to say:
Some owners pre-book a reservation to rent out.
This is helpful as you have definite dates for your holiday and can match up with flights.
Here's a link to the dedicated reservations available at the moment on David's site>
dvcrequest/dvc-guests/de...tions-for-rent
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I’d add- David’s has a cost and point calculator where it will show you the points between a given period and you can ask it to show you the $ cost (at David’s rates). This calculator was recently updated- it’s still good but the old one was less clunky.
Old 29 Sep 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dipsydoodle
Excited about Disney

In case it helps we have booked DVC on rented points thro Davids - we are staying at Saratoga Springs for 6 nights & Beach Club Villas for 4 nights both studios. I seem to remember we booked around January and because we had already missed free dining it has worked out a lot cheaper than booking the disney accomodation as hotel rooms and has meant we can stay at 2 deluxe resorts with fridge/microwave etc. We have found even as first timers the whole process really simple and Davids Vacation Rentals really easy to deal with.

dipsydoodle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Look here for points calculator and budget £10-12 per point.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/dvc_points.php
Why so low?

David's rents out at $16 or $17 a point, which is £13 to £14.

I've just rented out some at £10 but that was because I had them in holding so they needed to be used by end of Nov.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List