Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Sep 19, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

Mobile EU compensation on indirect flights

On our last trip we encountered a 5 hour delay on our indirect flight from LHR-JFK-TPA. The delay was at JFK and the airline,KLM, have said it was their fault. However, as the delay was in the US they say that We are not eligible for the EU compensation.
I expected this and was prepared to take the claim further but I am now unsure as to whether I should.
The reason I was willing to take this further was that in 2017 we succeeded in our claim against AA where we also had a 5 hour delay on a through ticket. AA refused to pay initially as they are an American airline, but we followed the CAA guidelines and filed a claim through the small claims court, AA agreed to pay. This happened at the same time the Supreme Court found in a passengers favour in the emirates case. In the last communication from AA they stated that following changes in a UK court ruling they had re-addressed our claim and we were entitled to the compensation.
This is where I’m unsure about where we stand with our claim.
In 2017 the initial delay took place in Manchester with a further delay in PHL but this years was stateside.
Reading the CAA guidelines we can file for for a claim if we were on a through ticket with one booking reference, which we were, and our flight arrived at it’s final destination with a 3 hour or more delay and originally departed from an EU country.

So am I right in thinking that as we left the UK and arrived at our final destination more than 3 hours late we can claim regardless of where that delay occurred?

I was just looking for advice really as to whether to continue with the claim, I know that many airlines will try and fob us off, especially with the indirect route tickets as that’s what we experienced with AA.
Thanks in advance

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
HI. Following a 2018 EU ruling as long as you have a through ticket you are entitled to compensation as long as extraordinary circumstances don't apply.

The key wording is through ticket. If they are separate tickets then no you wont be.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7

caa/Passengers/Res...-a-connection/

The first sentence says when you have 2 flights on one ticket they are considered to be one flight for compensation purposes.

So as you left from the EU and were delayed in arriving at your final destination I think I’d just forward them a screenshot of the regulations and see how they reply.

Edited at 08:43 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Its the operating airline, not the ticketing one, that pays the EU compensation and KLM does not operate within the US. I suspect that this is the reason why KLM is refusing payout. So its not as simple as it first seems.
AA would have to pay out as they would have operated both flights. In this case I suspect the second leg was on Delta.

Edited at 09:12 AM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Its the operating airline, not the ticketing one, that pays the EU compensation and KLM does not operate within the US. I suspect that this is the reason why KLM is refusing payout. So its not as simple as it first seems.
AA would have to pay out as they would have operated both flights. In this case I suspect the second leg was on Delta.
It is as simple as it seems. It was a through ticket on an EU carrier leaving from the EU. It is treated as if it is one flight. Unless there are extraordinary circumstances then compensation is due.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
HI. Following a 2018 EU ruling as long as you have a through ticket you are entitled to compensation as long as extraordinary circumstances don't apply.

The key wording is through ticket. If they are separate tickets then no you wont be.
This is as I thought, it’s definitely a through ticket as it’s a virgin booking on one booking reference

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by SiandAm View Post
This is as I thought, it’s definitely a through ticket as it’s a virgin booking on one booking reference
Good to go then. Best of luck, but as you know expect a battle.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List