Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Oct 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Mobile Chef Mickeys, Tuskers House and Crystal Palace

Which one would you choose for breakfast, lunch, dinner?
There will be two adults and two children (9 and7) and we only have five days of dining plan so I know we can only do one.

They are all character meals are nt they?
Thanks
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We prefer breakfast at Tusker House. We didnt enjoy Chef Mickeys this year (dinner) - felt like an extremely expensive canteen. Crystal Palace was ok at breakfast and dinner, but wed still choose TH.
Old 12 Oct 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Syjen
Very Serious Dibber

Yep, they are all character meals. Tusker and Chef Mickey feature Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald and Pluto. Crystal Palace has Winnie the Pooh and friends and has lovely food in beautiful surroundings, but for us it's either Chef or Tuskers depending on your taste (check menus), we love both. Chef Mickey seems to get bad reviews, but we've always had a fantastic time
Syjen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Tusker or Chef Mickeys.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Why can you only do one if you have 5 days of dining plan? Or do you mean you only want to do one as you have other places you want to eat too?

We did all three this August: Chef Mickey for breakfast, Tusker House for lunch and CP for lunch. My view was overall was that in hindsight we did too much character dining! We were on dining plan for 8 days and also did breakfast at Cape May and breakfast at Akershus so 5 character meals.

My opinion was as follows:

Chef Mickey for breakfast: it's a big restaurant but we had a 7am ADR so were the second family into the restaurant in the morning. I think this really affected my impression as we had a great time, not too rushed, lots of character interaction, great breakfast (and my kids loved it). The main complaints you see from others is that it is busy and rushed, but we were there so early that this wasn't an issue. We had originally wanted BOG for 8am (MK was opening at 9am) as a rope drop strategy for 7DMT, when we couldn't get it at 180 days we went for Chef Mickey's as a way to meet characters with our first morning of early jet lag and still be close to MK for opening. We were all awake and this worked brilliantly and we all had a great time (and rope dropped 7DMT from the Hub at 9). So we didn't book it as a place we had always wanted to go, but more to meet characters pre-park opening and utilise jet lag time. So perhaps, given that, my expectations weren't as high as others, and as I say we were the second family in so no waiting, buffet not busy. We all loved the food. I would eat here again but only at 7am I think so it wasn't too crowded and you don't waste park time.

Crystal Palace for lunch - the food was just OK here I thought, nothing memorable at all. Perhaps breakfast is better, but I'm not sure what time the open - if it's 8am then I would be wary of missing rope drop (unless you go for a late breakfast and do some rides first). The place was packed, just trying to check in with all the people waiting on the veranda felt stressful , there wasn't enough seating outside for everyone waiting for a table. The main reason we had made an ADR here was that I wanted to do quite a few character meals and you get different characters here (Pooh and friends from Hundred Acre woods). For me, I would only do this one if you are big fans of Pooh and friends. This was my second visit here (the previous time 20 years ago) and I don't think we will go back.

Lunch at Tusker House - the big problem here was that we started out on the wrong foot as we were kept waiting a long time for a table. It probably wasn't that long, but the seating here goes like this: US phone number people get a text and head straight to entrance of restaurant to be seated. If you don't have a US phone you wait outside near the bar and someone should come and get you and take you to the entrance. We kept being told our table was ready but nobody was coming to get us, in the meantime Americans keep going round the corner to the entrance and getting seated! It was lunch, we were hot, the big still of cold water had run out (I informed them but it took ages to replace it) and there was one tiny fan. I just ended up really cross that people with non-US numbers were being ignored long after their table was allegedly ready. Anyway, we were a bit wound up by the time we got inside. Everyone says breakfast is better here than lunch, I haven't done breakfast but I can imagine it being excellent. Having said that, I really enjoyed the lunch and was glad we did it. It's nice getting the photos with the characters in safari gear. I would eat here again.

In summary, I would go to Chef Mickey again (only for an early breakfast which didn't interfere with rope drop) and I would also do Tusker House again either for lunch or breakfast. If I absolutely could only do one of them I would maybe try Tusker House for a late breakfast.

Edited at 10:16 AM.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would do chef mickeys , any buffet with kids is noisy , is whats expected . Lots of kids meeting characters ! Anyway Tusker s I agree , the system is rubbish and last time we went for a 8am breakfast they couldnt get us in and out fast enough , the characters came while we were getting breakfast ,and its quite a hike from some tables , and they never returned despite being asked. Weve been to Tusker before so can easily compare visits. We have it booked this time as a last shot but Im not holding out any hope for any improvement from wha Ive read. Chef mickeys is always a winner .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Chef mickeys or crystal palace really didn't rate tusker house even though it tends to be a dibb fave

My lot would chose chef mickeys every time its a must do tradition if we're on the dining plan. We've done breakfast, brunch & dinner and personally I prefer dinner but that is purely down to the fact we're not huge breakfast eaters so the food suits us better. The character interaction and atmosphere is very similar at all meals.
Crystal palace is good too the character interaction is fun and there is plenty of choice food wise the only thing I've found there is that it seems to take forever to see all the characters twice we ended up waiting over 90mins
Both are really good with food allergies
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Rachhh
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Tusker House for dinner. I went last night and had a fantastic time. Lovely food and great character meets. If you dont have a US phone number, they give you a beeper to let you know when your table is ready. We were seated 10 mins before reservation time.
Rachhh is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Tusker House, Crystal Palace then Chef Mickeys would be my order of choice.
Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort
Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Excited2019
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Tusker house is good and extremely good value if you go for the package with the rivers of light ticket. We took my dd at age 8 and again at age 10. Chef Mickey's we did dinner 2 years ago and didnt really enjoy it. Far too busy and waited ages to be served drinks. Dd got bored. Crystal palace was good food, but dont be in a rush if you go for an early dinner. The characters seem to change every half hour( or at least they did in the summer).
Excited2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List