Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 14 Oct 19, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

First time on dining plan, where to start?

So we are still 331 days out so I’m not in any rush to make decisions but I’m on a diet at the moment and I’m dreaming of all the food I’ll eat when we finally get to next September!

This will be our first time on the DDP ever, last visit we only did two sit down meal and that was sci-if drive in and be our guest, both of which I managed to get reservations for only 25 days before we went.

This time round it will obviously be very different!

We are there for 6 nights on property with DDP, and will be two adults. Really I’m looking for advice on what’s best for us, where you’d go if you only had 6 table service credits, etc.

We want to do one character meal (we may be adults but I want to experience one), and the rest non character. We will also be trying to do one Disney Park a day, bar one rest day. One of the days- arrival probably- we won’t use the credit so we can do signature dining our last night.

So far these are the only ones that I’ve been considering.

- tusker house breakfast for our character meal
- teppan edo in Epcot
- homecomin’ in Disney springs
- possibly California grill for our signature - if not Cali grill then somewhere out of parks as we would quite like to get all dressed up and feel sophisticated

So that leaves something for our day at Hollywood studios and something for magic kingdom- or Disney springs.

Are these good choices? I know that’s a hard question, but if you’ve been did you personally like them/+ why, or are there better alternatives?

Also will cali grill be impossible to try and get when we book 185 days out (looking to book for our 5th day)? It would be amazing to get for fireworks time but I know that’s a long shot.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Edited at 01:26 AM.
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 04:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Alwaysdisley
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I think you will be able to get California Grill for 2. You don’t have to eat at firework time. You can eat earlier, go for a drink and with your receipt they let you back up to view the fireworks. There is nothing in HS that is a must for me so I would walk down to the boardwalk area and eat around there on you HS day, unless you want the fantasmic package.
Enjoy looking at menus! 🙂
Alwaysdisley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Shazzabelle
VIP Dibber

We love 'Ohana at the Polynesian. You could combine that with your MK day and hop on the monorail and watch the fireworks from the beach

DISNEYLAND PARIS TRIPS - March 2006 DLP Sante Fe DD Birthday Trip, June 2007 DLP Disneyland Hotel DS Birthday Trip, Feb 09 Cheyenne Grandmas 60th BDay, Aug 12 Cheyenne Wedd Ann, Aug 15 Cheyenne Wedd Ann, Dec 17 Cheyene 1st Xmas at DLP!, Oct/Nov 18 Sequoia Lodge 1st H'ween at DLP!
FLORIDA TRIPS - Aug 2004 Bahama Bay Honeymoon, Aug 2006 Hampton Lakes 2nd Wedd Ann, Sept/Oct 2008 POR (1st MNSSHP!), Jul/Aug 17 RPR/POR, May/Jun 18 ASS/IDrive/HRH, Aug 22 Me50/DD21/DS18 US&Somewhere on the 192

Edited at 10:02 AM.
Shazzabelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Tuskers is very popular but I found it noisey, lots of kids, and the food not very good. Also thought the character interaction was not the best.

I would suggest the Yak and Yeti for AK. The food is far better and the environment much nicer but no characters.

The crystal palace at MK is a good choice for food, setting and characters (winnie pooh characters).

I was REALLY looking forward to homecommin as I LOVE southern friend chicken but I was soooo dissapointed with it Lots like it though so just one mans opinion.

I would highly recommend the Yatchsmans Steakhouse for a nice dressed up evening but that might be too far out of your way and we have Cali Grill on our list year for our nice dressed up evening meal as well

Good luck making the right choices for you
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Zellotape
Excited about Disney

Zellotape's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Tuskers is very popular but I found it noisey, lots of kids, and the food not very good. Also thought the character interaction was not the best.

I would highly recommend the Yatchsmans Steakhouse for a nice dressed up evening but that might be too far out of your way and we have Cali Grill on our list year for our nice dressed up evening meal as well
We found Tusker house really good! we managed to get a reservation (2 adults) for 8am (yes early) but we were one of the first in the restaurant, and the food was delicious. There werent many kids in there at the time so pretty quiet and we got to see all the characters twice!
I think most character places are loud and crazy because of the kids (only exception to this i found is Garden Grill) but if you time it right, you can get a really good experience!

Also we went to Yachstman and really enjoyed it. If you are a steak lover, i would fully recommend!
Old 14 Oct 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Zellotape View Post
We found Tusker house really good! we managed to get a reservation (2 adults) for 8am (yes early) but we were one of the first in the restaurant, and the food was delicious. There werent many kids in there at the time so pretty quiet and we got to see all the characters twice!
I think most character places are loud and crazy because of the kids (only exception to this i found is Garden Grill) but if you time it right, you can get a really good experience!

Also we went to Yachstman and really enjoyed it. If you are a steak lover, i would fully recommend!
My visit to tuskers was at peak lunch time

Edited at 01:24 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Food trip reports section on here has lots of lovely reviews.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

For fine dining for 1TS credit I would recommend Toledo at Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs.
Other good ones are The Wave at The Contemporary and Grand Floridian Café.
Old 14 Oct 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
For fine dining for 1TS credit I would recommend Toledo at Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs.
Other good ones are The Wave at The Contemporary and Grand Floridian Café.
We have been looking at that as we are staying at CSR, we were hoping for our first night and watch the fireworks at HS from there, but it could swing the other way and we could be dying to go to sleep straight off the plane!

I’ve also heard someone say that CMs are saying it’ll be a 2 credit by next summer, apparently 1 credit was an introductory thing- that’s not confirmed at all, but I was a bit worried about that because I wouldn’t spend two credits.

Will keep an eye on it though!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for all the responses everyone!

We were mostly looking at breakfast tusker house because I wanted to do breakfast at be our guest our MK day- seeing as it’s a good use of a quick service credit. We paid for it last time which was a bit too much really, but we did love the food and the atmosphere. Wouldn’t do it again though if we were paying out of pocket but as it is we are going to go back.

That being said I have always liked the look of Crystal Palace. It may be a back up for us, or for another trip.

Thanks for the advice about tusker house, we will try and go early!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019