Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Aug 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

I suffer with pain in my wrists, and someone suggested that an automatic would make a difference. I thought about it for a while, then bought an automatic. But I’ve got to say it’s the best thing I have ever done.
Still drive geared now and again as my children have geared cars. But it really has made a difference to my wrists. Definitely recommend it if you have pain in your wrists. 👍🏻

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lorrie36 View Post
I suffer with pain in my wrists, and someone suggested that an automatic would make a difference. I thought about it for a while, then bought an automatic. But I’ve got to say it’s the best thing I have ever done.
Still drive geared now and again as my children have geared cars. But it really has made a difference to my wrists. Definitely recommend it if you have pain in your wrists. 👍🏻
Or your left leg

I had a really bad left knee last year that required surgery and physio and recovery time etc. Due to having an auto I could still get around, even to my physio appointments in the days after surgery, despite hardly being able to walk and needing crutches.

If I'd had a manual I'd have been helpless (and of course if it had been my right knee I'd have been in trouble!)
Old 30 Aug 19, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sdrfish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

God bless dsg gearboxes never again for a manual.

Well except for the awful Toyota cvt auto boxes I’d go back to manual if I have to have one of those.
sdrfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

Mobile

We picked our Audi A5 up today. I was so nervous driving it as never driven an automatic before (apart from about 25 years ago and nearly drove straight through a wall) I made my husband take me to the local cemetery for a test drive, I figured at least I couldn’t hurt anyone there! 🙈
It was better than I thought it would be but it felt like I was learning to drive all over again though! I still couldn’t get used to not needing to use my left hand or foot but I guess that comes with time? Wasn’t keen on when you lift your foot of the break the car moves even without putting your foot on the accelerator. I’ve never had a nice car so I’m an absolute wreck!
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Billy Beatnik
Imagineer

My next car is going to an auto. I blame America, I love driving them over there.
Old 30 Aug 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I can’t drive them. Have had an automatic the last three times my car has been in for a service. Most stressful three driving days of my life and I’ve not done more than 10 miles each time. It’s like someone’s given me a brain removal!
Old 30 Aug 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I have only driven an automatic a few times and couldn't wait to get back in my manual.

My next car will definitely be an automatic though as I have arthritis in my knees, worse in my left knee, and the constant gear changing definitely doesn't help.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
No gears? Are you sure that they haven't sold you a BMX?
Tesla, instant torque, phenomenal.
Old 30 Aug 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by BigTumMum View Post
I have only driven an automatic a few times and couldn't wait to get back in my manual.

My next car will definitely be an automatic though as I have arthritis in my knees, worse in my left knee, and the constant gear changing definitely doesn't help.
I have osteoarthritis in my knees and recently changed to an automatic and it is great to drive longer distances and stop start traffic without being in pain afterwards. My left knee is the worst too as will no longer straighten and I was getting to the stage of avoiding driving in my manual. I had a diesel and as not being driven enough started to have issues with the DPF so cut our losses and traded in for an automatic.

I'm sure after a few days of driving an automatic you will notice a big difference in stiffness/pain and soon love no gear changes. The only downside is the fuel economy is worse but that is partly because we went from diesel to petrol too.

Edited at 10:38 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List