Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Sep 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile Booking seats on plane with spaces between

So what I mean is a row of three

Booking the window and the outside leaving the middle spare.

Booking the two outer so the window seat is spare

I’m looking at our virgin flights as another post has just highlighted I might have chosen the worst seats. There are a lot,especially in the the bubble where is seems to be this.

This was also the case for the row in front of me when we were coming back.

I haven’t really got a clue where to book us this time. Was so much easier last time as it was bubble and that was is.

What’s your opinion on how people allocate these seats?

Also if anyone knows best place for family of 4 to sit on the virgin 73/74 that would be great also
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m not sure of what you’re trying to say? There are 2 of us so VA economy is not an ideal seat layout. We wanted the upper deck and I wanted an aisle seat so we booked middle and aisle. Should I have booked different (and less comfortable) seats because there are only 2 of us?

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

If you don’t want to sit at the window then book the middle and the aisle, if you are happy potentially not sitting next to each other and a complete stranger sitting between you then book a window and an aisle

It’s generally frowned upon to book a window and an aisle in the hopes that the middle stays free. If that didn’t happen and the person allocated the middle seat wanted to stay in that seat would you be miffed about not sitting next to your OH or would you swallow it.
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

If both passengers are on the same booking ref & attempt to book a "2 out of 3" seats - especially with leaving the middle seat free, then expect the airline system to pick up on this & seat you together - particularly if the flight is fairly full.

If you are on separate booking refs, then you will possibly get away with it - albeit with the risk of being split up across the cabin as you're not seen as travelling together.

A few years back, Mum, sister & me were all going to NYC on Virgin in Upper Class. Mum & sister [different surnames] were on one booking. I was on a separate booking, but sat next to them so we had 3 seats together. The FSM (Flight Service Manager) was actively looking for passengers to move / downgrade before takeoff & I was targeted as I showed on the manifest as a single passenger travelling alone. I declined the kind offer - despite the fact his manifest showed I had the same surname as my Mum in the next seat (& the surname is not Smith / Brown / Jones etc).
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Mobile

I keep changing my United airlines (Newark to Orlando) seats.
I had 2 sets of window and aisle booked (for 2 adults and 2 kids), but got worried in case someone did actually sit in the middle seat! So choose 2 middle and aisle, hopefully the window seats stay free.
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

If you book a window and aisle - hoping that no one books the centre seat - this is fine.
Worst that can happen is someone books that seat and you want to sit together - just ask them when you board. Virtually no one will say "no" if you are offering to change form a middle to either a window or aisle seat.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Dream bigger
Getting Excited

Its quite confusing what you are asking?

Are you asking peoples opinions on others booking a window and an aisle, leaving 1 empty seat in the middle? They do this to hope that others will be deterred from choosing that seat. Although the chances are that the flight will be full and the seat will be filled, leaving them with a stranger in the middle of them and then offering the stranger either the aisle or the window seat.

In regards to booking the two outer seats and leaving the window free, they would do this as they would prefer the aisle seat for easy access.
Dream bigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I posted this on a previous thread. It is a long time since I travelled economy over the atlantic but in the past we have booked window and aisle. Husband has to have window I like aisle seats.

Sometimes the middle seat has been left free (this may be due to airline status) on other times someone has used the middle seat. My husband and I dont need to communicate during the flight, we simply get on with the flight as if we are travelling alone.

If asked I would move to any aisle seat, it doesnt have to be one close to my husband and infact I have moved when a mother sat between us and her small child was in an aisle seat further up the plane. If the child had been sat between us that would also have been fine.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
So what I mean is a row of three

Booking the window and the outside leaving the middle spare.

Booking the two outer so the window seat is spare

I’m looking at our virgin flights as another post has just highlighted I might have chosen the worst seats. There are a lot,especially in the the bubble where is seems to be this.

This was also the case for the row in front of me when we were coming back.

I haven’t really got a clue where to book us this time. Was so much easier last time as it was bubble and that was is.

What’s your opinion on how people allocate these seats?

Also if anyone knows best place for family of 4 to sit on the virgin 73/74 that would be great also
Are you flying on 12 May as I just looked at the seat plan on Expertflyer, I can see what you are saying, there are groups of two sitting with aisle and middle or window and middle as you would expect.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post

We are a two so in economy we book the aisle and middle seat as I don’t like having to climb over someone or disturb them to get out.

We have never had the 3rd seat remain empty on any of our flights to or from Orlando, though it did on our San Francisco flight last year.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List