Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Oct 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
Do you have 4G coverage? If so this could be the answer for you.
Yes we have 4g on our phones but I'm clueless with technology.
Old 2 Oct 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

three/store/broadband/home-broadband
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I was going to ask you about 4g coverage as I’m considering moving to Three when my 12 months is up in a month or so.

Three 4g is consistently 90-120 Mbps in my house at the moment which knocks the socks off Sky/Now at 30Mbps.

As a three customer they are doing two deals at £16 or £18 a month but a two year contract. You can get these deals even if you only register a pay as you go Sim for use in Orlando for instance. 😀

You’d definitely need to check your Three 4g speed at home before you did this though

Here is the link to the existing customer deals for anyone interested

three/existing-cust...20and%20Dongle

Edited at 08:39 AM.
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Thanks I'll have a look. Not sure if we'd want to get rid of our phone though although we rarely use it.
Old 3 Oct 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
I was going to ask you about 4g coverage as I’m considering moving to Three when my 12 months is up in a month or so.

Three 4g is consistently 90-120 Mbps in my house at the moment which knocks the socks off Sky/Now at 30Mbps.

As a three customer they are doing two deals at £16 or £18 a month but a two year contract. You can get these deals even if you only register a pay as you go Sim for use in Orlando for instance. 😀

You’d definitely need to check your Three 4g speed at home before you did this though

Here is the link to the existing customer deals for anyone interested

three/existing-cust...20and%20Dongle
How would I check three 4g speed to know whether it's worth it? We're currently with Vodafone/Voxi (so still Vodafone) for our mobiles.
Old 3 Oct 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
How would I check three 4g speed to know whether it's worth it? We're currently with Vodafone/Voxi (so still Vodafone) for our mobiles.
You’d need an unlocked phone (or a Three phone). You can get a Three sim and test it-or borrow a friend on Three! I think three even give you a sim with 200Mb free data which enables you to test.

You can test speeds by downloading an App line OpenSignal or SpeedTest

I believe things have changed now and Networks have to unlock your phone after a few months anyway if you ask. Not up to speed as always but unlocked phones anyway. Has the advantage of making using data overseas much cheaper too!
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

You’d need an unlocked phone (or a Three phone). You can get a Three sim and test it-or borrow a friend on Three! I think three even give you a sim with 200Mb free data which enables you to test.

You can test speeds by downloading an App line OpenSignal or SpeedTest

I believe things have changed now and Networks have to unlock your phone after a few months anyway if you ask. Not up to speed as always but unlocked phones anyway. Has the advantage of making using data overseas much cheaper too!
Thanks.
Old 11 Oct 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Update to page one as have now done some speed tests. Not sure what else we can do other than try 4g? We have a wireless booster that I'll try again but we found it seemed to extend wifi into our extension more but made it worse in the rest of the house.
Old 11 Oct 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
Update to page one as have now done some speed tests. Not sure what else we can do other than try 4g? We have a wireless booster that I'll try again but we found it seemed to extend wifi into our extension more but made it worse in the rest of the house.
That sounds like a different issue. If the issue is with WiFi reception in your house then as you say whilst a WiFi booster can improve it for certain areas it’s also using up WiFi bandwidth so can make things worse elsewhere. I believe the best solution it to google mesh WiFi systems and plug these into your router.

4g may still be an option as you aren’t tied to having your router connected to your phone line so you *might* be able to place it more centrally. However advice to get the best connection to a network is still to place a 4g router by a window and you may get better reception on one side or another depending where the network transmitters are.

OpenSignal can help give you an idea of exactly where the transmitters are. But there is no substitute for getting a SIM card and testing whichever network you are interested in.

If it helps Smarty, iD, and FreedomPop all use Three so that might help you test your local speed
Old 12 Oct 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

That sounds like a different issue. If the issue is with WiFi reception in your house then as you say whilst a WiFi booster can improve it for certain areas it’s also using up WiFi bandwidth so can make things worse elsewhere. I believe the best solution it to google mesh WiFi systems and plug these into your router.

4g may still be an option as you aren’t tied to having your router connected to your phone line so you *might* be able to place it more centrally. However advice to get the best connection to a network is still to place a 4g router by a window and you may get better reception on one side or another depending where the network transmitters are.

OpenSignal can help give you an idea of exactly where the transmitters are. But there is no substitute for getting a SIM card and testing whichever network you are interested in.

If it helps Smarty, iD, and FreedomPop all use Three so that might help you test your local speed
Thanks.