Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Oct 19, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Triciamcl
VIP Dibber

Triciamcl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
JFK to W46thStreet Rui Plaza

First time in NYC spending few days before going on to Orlando. Do you recommend going via Airtrain and Subway or Airtrain and Subway ?

2010 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2011 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2012 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2015 POFQ, RPR and DOUBLETREE RESORT
2017 POFQ

2022 POFQ & Cabana Bay
Triciamcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Probably Airtrain and Subway

We used a cab on arrival as we were unsure what we were doing. That was easy, fairly slow due to traffic and relatively expensive but it’s a fixed price.

It was cool to get in a Yellow Cab and see the sights as we drove in.

On our way back to the airport we were familiar with the Subway system so we used the subway and Airtrain. It was actually very straightforward. You need to be able to manage your bags on escalators. It’s very cheap and I think quicker as there is no traffic.

Now that i have done it I would use the Airtrain again as I know where to go as long as I didn’t have excessive luggage.

Dd used the airtrain on her way to camp the first year but the second year she got a shared van. It was slower but she has a lot of luggage (3 months worth) and she felt it was worth the slowness not to have to deal with her luggage on the subway.

Edited at 10:12 AM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think with a lot of luggage I would get a cab, just for ease more than anything as wouldn’t want to lug big cases around the subway, as they’re busy with lots of stairs (some have lifts) We went hand luggage only so got the air train and LIRR to Penn Stn and it was really easy. Like I said with kids and large cases I would get a cab!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

If you take a cab you will see the Manhattan skyline as you approach the river & bridge. Especially nice in the evening when it's lit up.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ontwofronts
Excited about Disney

With luggage definitely get a cab. It was something like $75 in April, fixed fare. Interesting ride through Queens that you’d never see otherwise!
ontwofronts is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post

I have always taken a cab to and from JFK.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We caught the air train and subway and it was extremely easy and cheap. We did not have a great deal of luggage, a hand luggage size bag each.
With a lot of luggage I would consider a cab but make sure you get in to the official cab line and you will be directed to a cab. I believe there are a lot of dodgy, unlicensed cabs hanging around. There is an official set price of around $70 inc tolls and tip.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Triciamcl
VIP Dibber

Triciamcl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Will jus,t be one case each I have read that some people use the Airtrain and Long Island Railroad, anyone used this ?

2010 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2011 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2012 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2015 POFQ, RPR and DOUBLETREE RESORT
2017 POFQ

2022 POFQ & Cabana Bay
Triciamcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellemum
Excited about Disney

Stayed at the Rui Plaza 2 weeks ago - we took a CAB from the airport it was 75 dollars - got to drive through Queens then up to Manhattan - really good seeing Manhattan in the distance - dropped us off right at the corner of the hotel - it’s in such a fab location 5 mins from Time Square - loads of eateries around and lovely hotel - breakfast was really nice buffet - I’m glad we didn’t take the subway there cos NY is soooo busy - the hotel is right on the corner so easy to find - You will love it.
Bellemum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Ive stayed at that hotel, its lovely. Its very easy to take Airtrain and Subway but the NYCAirporter is also great. It will drop you at Port Authority Bus Station which is jut a couple of minutes walk to the hotel.
I can highly recommend Bourbon Street Bar and Grille for food and drinks, just further down the road from the Riu. Just come out of the hotel, truncates right and cross over the road, its just a couple of hundred yards down.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List