Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 9 Oct 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

Excursions and activities in Riviera Maya

Hi,

We’ve booked for 2 weeks at the Occidental Xcaret just south of Playacar for 2 weeks in January with First Choice and are planning on getting the unlimited Xcaret package so that we can wander in and out as we fancy. After a very stressful couple of years, all coming to a head in the next few weeks, we’re really looking forward to some sun and relaxation, though not days on end lying by the pool.

We’re looking for ideas for a few more things to do to scatter through our holiday and I’d appreciate any advice/recommendations. I’m also not sure if we should book things before we go, either independently or via First Choice, or wait until we get there so that we don’t need to plan all our days in advance.

We’ve come up with a few ideas so far. A day at Xel-Ha is a definite, and we also fancy a trip to Tulum, maybe tying that in with something else in the afternoon, though not Xel-Ha as we’d like the whole day there. Also planning a few hours at Xenses, does anyone know if it’s walkable from the Occidental?

I’m not too great on coaches so don’t fancy anywhere too far from base. I’ve seen a trip to Muyil and Sian Kaan which looks good, plus a different trip to the beach side of Sian Kaan with a boat trip out to the Caribbean. I’ve got a bad neck after a whiplash injury and read that the road up to the base for that one is really bumpy and rutted, in a clapped out bus with no suspension - anybody done this and know what it was like?! Don’t want to end up in agony for the rest of our holiday!

Any other ideas? Horse riding along the beach sounds nice, as does anything involving animals (though not dolphin swims and the like) so I’d love to hear your ideas.

Thank you!
Old 9 Oct 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

We really enjoyed xenses, not sure if it’s walkable or not though. We also enjoyed a trip to yal-ku which is a big lagoon for snorkelling. It’s pretty good for beginners and all the gear is provided. We actually booked it as part as a private tour where we did tulum in the morning- pretty early to avoid the heat of the day then moved on to Yal-ku where we had lunch and did some snorkelling and then we went to akumel to spend some time on the beach and have an amble around. It was a great day. The guide was a chap called Santiago Chavez, he organised all sorts of trips- we just wanted a private tour so we picked the things we fancied and he organised it and came as our guide. A really nice man and he took lots of photos for us and used his go-pro to video underwater. He has a Facebook page, I’d recommend taking a look.
We also enjoyed a wander around playa del carmen, we just got a taxi down from our hotel, it’s a set price and the official ranks in town are quite clearly marked.
I’m sure you’ll have a fab time whatever you decide on!
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

We enjoyed our trip to the jungle place riviera maya.
It’s a monkey sanctuary,where they only allow so many visitors per day.
You get to go in with the monkeys & spend some time with them.
Our grandaughter loved this part of our trip & I would really recommend it.
One jumped into my husbands arm & snuggled in like a baby & no way would he let my husbands put him down,it was so cute.
Would definitely visit again
Tracy x
Old 9 Oct 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Xcaret is my daughter's and my favorite place in the world. We even prefer it to Disney. I haven't been recently but Tulum is definitely worth the trip.
Old 9 Oct 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Zel-Ha is amazing! Although I’m terrified of spiders and didn’t like going to far into the woods- word of warning if anyone in your party is the same ...😂😂 It’s a fantastic day though.
Tulum Ruins is also a great day out as is the near by beach... I don’t know if it’s called this but our tour guide referred to it as turtle beach! You get to swim with the giant sea turtles in their natural environment ! They’re huge!
Chichen itz is also fantastic and well worth a visit but it is about 2.5 hours away on a coach... a long day and usually an early start!
We’ve also done a swim with dolphin experience through tui, you also go to a private paradise island and it’s incredible! There’s infinity pools, zip-wiring, sun beds, unlimited food and drinks etc!
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

Thank you all so much for all your great ideas and advice, it's all really appreciated!

I did a 5 day touring trip around the Yucutan followed by 9 nights in Playacar 21 years ago (oh good grief, where did that time go?!?!) and have wanted to go back ever since, and there seems to be lots more to do now. OH has never been before but really likes the sound of it, it's the perfect mix of culture, history, relaxation and fun. When I went you were still allowed to climb El Castillo at Chitchen Itza, along with the inner pyramid too, and I remember it being terrifying but amazing! I'd like to take OH there but the thought of that coach journey makes me feel sick just thinking about it. I loved Xcaret when I went, and fell head over heels for Xel-ha (it's my happy place, when I'm stressed, like lying in the dentists chair having the dreaded scale and polish, I take myself back to snorkelling above turtles whilst big juicy drops of warm rain landed on my back!) and I remember feeling very short changed that we only got half a day there after a morning spent at Tulum. Xcaret and Xel-ha were always going to be definites for this trip, though I imagine they've probably changed hugely in those 21 years.

I love the sound of that day, Evil Queen, it sounds blissful so I'll definitely be looking him up. I'm not a great swimmer, though I'm ok if I've got fins and a wet suit/jacket on - without fins I have no propulsion! Are those things included in the equipment you're given. I remember having fins at Xcaret and Xel-ha back then, are they still included now? Debating taking our own snorkelling gear and fins with us, possibly even prescription goggles … old age doesn't come alone!

I also love the idea of the monkeys, how amazing an experience for your husband Tracy. Did you arrange your own transport for that? We don't want to hire a car as OH doesn't fancy driving out there and neither do I, and we'd only need it for a few days out of the fortnight since the hotel has it's own entrance to Xcaret so we'll be just bimbling in and out of there. I've read that there is a good bus service into Playa Del Carmen, think we'll probably head to Cozumel for a day and see what there is to do there as last time we just wandered around the shops around the main port which wasn't that good a use of our time when we could have been exploring the island.

I can't wait, I just want to be there already!
Old 10 Oct 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
We enjoyed our trip to the jungle place riviera maya.
It’s a monkey sanctuary,where they only allow so many visitors per day.
You get to go in with the monkeys & spend some time with them.
Our grandaughter loved this part of our trip & I would really recommend it.
One jumped into my husbands arm & snuggled in like a baby & no way would he let my husbands put him down,it was so cute.
Would definitely visit again
Tracy x
My Grandchildren loved this place too

Edited at 11:02 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pooh Bear View Post
Thank you all so much for all your great ideas and advice, it's all really appreciated!

I did a 5 day touring trip around the Yucutan followed by 9 nights in Playacar 21 years ago (oh good grief, where did that time go?!?!) and have wanted to go back ever since, and there seems to be lots more to do now. OH has never been before but really likes the sound of it, it's the perfect mix of culture, history, relaxation and fun. When I went you were still allowed to climb El Castillo at Chitchen Itza, along with the inner pyramid too, and I remember it being terrifying but amazing! I'd like to take OH there but the thought of that coach journey makes me feel sick just thinking about it. I loved Xcaret when I went, and fell head over heels for Xel-ha (it's my happy place, when I'm stressed, like lying in the dentists chair having the dreaded scale and polish, I take myself back to snorkelling above turtles whilst big juicy drops of warm rain landed on my back!) and I remember feeling very short changed that we only got half a day there after a morning spent at Tulum. Xcaret and Xel-ha were always going to be definites for this trip, though I imagine they've probably changed hugely in those 21 years.

I love the sound of that day, Evil Queen, it sounds blissful so I'll definitely be looking him up. I'm not a great swimmer, though I'm ok if I've got fins and a wet suit/jacket on - without fins I have no propulsion! Are those things included in the equipment you're given. I remember having fins at Xcaret and Xel-ha back then, are they still included now? Debating taking our own snorkelling gear and fins with us, possibly even prescription goggles … old age doesn't come alone!

I also love the idea of the monkeys, how amazing an experience for your husband Tracy. Did you arrange your own transport for that? We don't want to hire a car as OH doesn't fancy driving out there and neither do I, and we'd only need it for a few days out of the fortnight since the hotel has it's own entrance to Xcaret so we'll be just bimbling in and out of there. I've read that there is a good bus service into Playa Del Carmen, think we'll probably head to Cozumel for a day and see what there is to do there as last time we just wandered around the shops around the main port which wasn't that good a use of our time when we could have been exploring the island.

I can't wait, I just want to be there already!
Hi, they including mask, fins and a life jacket. We just wore a swimsuit with a t-shirt over the top which was fine. There are changing rooms there too. Just to say it’s not as modern as the parks such as xcaret, a bit more traditional let’s say!
We were all complete novices at snorkelling so Santiago eased us in gently but the actual lagoon is pretty sizeable with differing depths so suitable for all abilities I would say. He was a great guide actually and supposed us with a shot of the nicest tequila I’ve ever tried on the journey back to the hotel. The driver was lovely too and helped my kids getting there fins etc on.
It’s just a lovely country, you’re going to fall in love with it all over again 🙂
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
My Grandchildren loved this place too
Those photos brought back memories!
I’ll have to dig ours out & look through them.

We got a taxi,but our hotel wasn’t that far,so not sure if that would be an option for you OP.
It’s worth a visit
Tracy x
Old 12 Oct 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

Awwwhhh, those photos are just precious! 🥰

Thanks so much for that information, Evil Queen, that day is looking better and better by the second!

Can’t wait!