Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Dec 20, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Calling all Labrador owners

We have always had spaniels. The last one we had left is broken hearted as we had to rehome her at 6 months. Absolutely no fault of hers, she was just hyper intelligent and needed a working environment, she’s now a border and customers dog. Precious 5 spaniels were all wonderful.

However, someone I know is having a litter of labs. Well bred, lots of history showing the breeding lines, hip scored, pra tested etc etc. BUT. We have never had a lab. We are hoping that our dog will help our son (with autism) and we’ve seen really encouraging signs that a pet will help him, but they will primarily be our pet.

So... after all that waffle... tell me the good, the bad and the ugly about labs please. These puppies are from
a home environment and neither parent has been ‘worked’.

Just gathering research 🤣😉

Edited at 08:00 AM.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Following 👍
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I have no idea regarding the breed but my dog certainly has a calming influence on my son. Its like she knows when he is anxious, they definitely have a special bond.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsFizz
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We have a four year old chocolate lab and he is amazing.

Very easy to train and such a good dog. He does moult a lot and Is very routine orientated which can be a issue sometimes. But he’s so chilled and a great pet. Wouldn’t be without him.
MrsFizz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

We previously had a German shepherd and a Belgian Shepherd but sadly lost them both at the end of 2019. We got a lab puppy at the end of Feb.

She's lovely natured but she's not as smart as the shepherds and takes longer to learn new commands. She's also very greedy. My previous dogs have always been taught to leave human food and wouldn't pester or beg if you had food. Well this pup will quite happily steal it right out of your hand. It's really quite testing!
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Spelling

We always had Labradors growing up. Great family dogs ours loved water, always wanted to be in front at any family photos
I can remember ours always playing ball in the garden with us 3 kids
Ours were happy to curl up in front of the fire & come for muddy walks with us all
One of ours had a really waggy tail and would clear a coffee table at one sweep
Notorious for being foodies and eating anything they could find

Edited at 10:51 PM.
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I have a chocolate Labrador she’s 6 now .

She’s been fab she was house trained at 8 weeks when we got her, always been really good on the lead
She did have a crate for the first 18 months at night but was never any bother.

My granddaughter is 2 and the dog is fab with her .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsFizz
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by shelle View Post
We previously had a German shepherd and a Belgian Shepherd but sadly lost them both at the end of 2019. We got a lab puppy at the end of Feb.

She's lovely natured but she's not as smart as the shepherds and takes longer to learn new commands. She's also very greedy. My previous dogs have always been taught to leave human food and wouldn't pester or beg if you had food. Well this pup will quite happily steal it right out of your hand. It's really quite testing!
Ours used to be like that as he loves his food. But he’s fine now and will sit and wait for his food and does not beg for our food at all. Guess he’s older now.
MrsFizz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Always have had labs growing up. We are on our 8th now. They are lovely natured. This is our Ozzy.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

We have an 11 year old chocolate lab bitch and she is super gentle and loyal. We lost our flat coated retriever boy at 14 in the summer. He had a lovely nature but did tend to pull a lot on the lead when younger. They do cast a lot and need plenty of exercise but absolutely lovely family dogs
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List