Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 5 Jan 21, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by GrumpyDopey&Me View Post
I just hope its not so preachy next season, I hate the "woke" culture

I like it when they are quirky and odd so am hoping for that
I didn't think the last season was that preachy. I mean, there were a couple of episodes that were (Praxeus had the whole microplastics agenda, for example), but generally I thought the last season was pretty good.

(Of course, social media was in an uproar that the Doctor's origins were retconned but I didn't have a problem with that)

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
As for mixed heritage relationships - yes acknowledge they exist (because they do), however, if you looked at current advertisements on tv you could believe they are the norm - which they aren’t ...why do they portray this in this fashion?
Er, because they are absolutely the norm? I can think of at least 20 couples I’ve known personally, not counting dozens of work colleagues, neighbours and so on. It’s so normal that to me it is a complete non-issue, and it’s a real shock to hear of the dreadful treatment that still gets meted out to people of mixed heritage by some eejits out there.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Er, because they are absolutely the norm? I can think of at least 20 couples I’ve known personally, not counting dozens of work colleagues, neighbours and so on. It’s so normal that to me it is a complete non-issue, and it’s a real shock to hear of the dreadful treatment that still gets meted out to people of mixed heritage by some eejits out there.
I think I meant to say the majority ...rather than the norm... now amended

Edited at 02:15 PM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I think I meant to say the majority ...rather than the norm... now amended
This is a whole other thread, but representation is important. Our dear friends David and Carrie Grant have been highlighting the dreadful abuse their lovely daughter has received, simply for her dual heritage. Similarly, I’ve spoken recently to a high-profile lawyer who is female and black, and was told early in her career ‘Your kind usually go into the caring professions’. While ignorance and prejudice run rife, I don’t think anyone should be griping because some of the people on the adverts aren’t white.

Anyway, back to the Doctor - I love the idea of Richard Ayoade, although the temptation would be to do the same shtick he usually does. (He didn’t in Soul though, I only realised he was in it at the credits!)
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
This is a whole other thread, but representation is important. Our dear friends David and Carrie Grant have been highlighting the dreadful abuse their lovely daughter has received, simply for her dual heritage. Similarly, I’ve spoken recently to a high-profile lawyer who is female and black, and was told early in her career ‘Your kind usually go into the caring professions’. While ignorance and prejudice run rife, I don’t think anyone should be griping because some of the people on the adverts aren’t white.

Anyway, back to the Doctor - I love the idea of Richard Ayoade, although the temptation would be to do the same shtick he usually does. (He didn’t in Soul though, I only realised he was in it at the credits!)
Nobody is griping because “some of the people on the adverts aren’t white”... it’s the inaccurate portrayal of representation... ie if you believe every advert then almost every couple is mixed heritage whereas this is not the case in reality...

I agree that representation should be shown but at least portray it accurately.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

I reckon David Harewood

Or...
Tom Rosenthal

Old 5 Jan 21, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

I stopped watching last season as I got bored and felt to preachy. I don’t care if they are gay or mixed race couple just give me and entertaining story. As for the next Dr. I don’t mind Jodi although I did feel the Dr was a man and that casting a woman was again to appease the woke culture but I got used to her. Some good names people have mentioned I think Michael Sheen would be a great Dr. If it was to be a woman again Olivia Coleman would be quite quirky also I think Hayley Atwell would be good.
Old 5 Jan 21, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I think it should be Gary Lineker.

I really worry about him, after his £400,000 pay cut he needs all the help he can get.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

I like the idea of Michael Sheen (his pal David T could give him tips ), Idris Elba, Alan Cumming, Bill Nighy or Olivia Coleman.

I.e., a strong, experienced actor with the confidence and ability to make the role really special ...give it some 'weight'. I like a balance of good drama, first, then the touches of humour stand out more.

The casting of John Bishop (primarily a comedian) puts me off a bit.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Nobody is griping because “some of the people on the adverts aren’t white”
Sadly some people do gripe that some of the people on the adverts aren’t white. I remember before Christmas some people complained because one of the Christmas adverts (I forget which one - Sainsbury's maybe?) happened to featured a black family. It's like they didn't want to be reminded that there are tens of thousands of black families in the UK and they celebrate Christmas. Or something.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List