Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jan 21, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

I cannot believe they have decided to do this months BTEC exams. Can you imagine the poor kids who have to go into college to do an exam which is usually stressful enough when everyone else has been told to stay at home. Do they really think they will get the best results. Not only that but colleges can decide if they do the exams or not so some may do them and some may not so how will that work? As clear as mud as usual from DfE! I know it’s a tricky balancing act but poor kids.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
I cannot believe they have decided to do this months BTEC exams. Can you imagine the poor kids who have to go into college to do an exam which is usually stressful enough when everyone else has been told to stay at home. Do they really think they will get the best results. Not only that but colleges can decide if they do the exams or not so some may do them and some may not so how will that work? As clear as mud as usual from DfE! I know it’s a tricky balancing act but poor kids.
Just had an email from my son’s school - they’ve cancelled all vocational exams that were due to be sat this month.
Doesn’t affect my son, as he’s not sitting any of those exams, but a lot of his friends are.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 21, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

I think there is an urgency as the teachers need to know what to teach the children. Leave it too long and there may not be enough time to cover the topic.
Old 6 Jan 21, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
butterflymags
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
My DS (year 12) was due to do 2 exams next week but his college have consulted with 2 neighbouring colleges and all 3 have decided to cancel them, however the 6th form college around the corner is going ahead with them. I do worry for my DS as his course involves 1 day a week work placement which hasn’t taken place since November lockdown and also practical sessions which can also not take place now.
Old 6 Jan 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Well I really don’t know what to think

My year 13 daughter does 2 a levels at sixth form and a photography course at college

A levels cancelled obviously

My daughter doesn’t know what is happening at college, they don’t reply to her emails if she is expected to carry on the project all the photography equipment and computer wizardry she needs is at college so how can that work?

My daughter was up in the night sleepwalking and getting the most terrible nightmares, I’m sure it’s the effect of all the worry

Edie
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
But why do want clarity right now? Surely it's best to continue working towards summer exams and find out closer to the time whether or not they go ahead and in what form? I've listened in to the start of a couple of Yr11 lessons today and the teachers have been absolutely fantastic, speaking in very assured tones about what is happening and what is expected of the child even though they had no more knowledge of the situation than I do.

I disagree that you need to know as a matter of urgency, you may want to know, but nobody knows how anything will be in 5 months time. Just keep on keeping on with the lessons and a positive attitude and try not to worry. The best you can do is be positive.
Clarity is needed so the students have a focus point and know what they're aiming for. As it stood they were studying for exams but had no idea what topics were then going to be dropped and with the lack of time in school and proper lessons it's not the same as last year. Last year students had completed most if the work so teachers would have had a good idea where they were at. This year I think it will be difficult for teachers to grade pupils as so much content will have been missed or not understood properly.
I agree about keeping a positive attitude but online learning isn't the same for most as actually being in the classroom. I will encourage my daughter to keep trying her best but it's very difficult when they're now stuck at home with all their books at school, no revision classes or extra help that was needed to do their best. They are still possibly sitting more mocks after half term depending what is announced today but now she will have to revise without any extra help or her books. Her mock grades will not represent what she could achieve in a 'normal' year and we are worried about what her final grades will be based on.

My daughters school is running lessons on teams to their normal timetable. It does seem a bit better this time with teachers actually talking through their presentations rather than just setting work but dd still finds it easier at school.
We also had an online parents evening last month and I can see some schools adopting this in the future. The main issue with it though is that the screen can freeze and lose connection and 5 minutes isn't always long enough. You can't overrun as it times out.
Old 6 Jan 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

But wouldn't you rather a decision be made in a few weeks, say half term, with time taken to explore all possibilities and the best decision made, rather than the fastest?
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

And yes to the online parents evening. Much better than in person. I booked alternate appointments so had time to chat and take notes before and during.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahc
VIP Dibber

sarahc's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Schools and colleges have now been given the option to cancel BTEC exams!
Old 6 Jan 21, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
But wouldn't you rather a decision be made in a few weeks, say half term, with time taken to explore all possibilities and the best decision made, rather than the fastest?
Well I'd rather they'd had a plan in place before they announced it but as soon as they announced schools were closing again it was fairly obvious exams couldn't proceed like normal even with the planned changes. They've had more than enough time to realise this is where they might end up and should have been able to announce their plans the other day. As I've said my daughter is now in the position like many others of studying at home without all her work or help and still not knowing how they will be assessed or if her next mocks will take place. I know there is no fair solution.