Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jun 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Lulu-Belle
Excited about Disney

Revolut - beware of scammers

Just thought i would share the problem i have had with Revolut as i know a lot of Dibbers use this as a way of taking money abroad. Never had a problem loading it or using it in the USA.

However a few weeks back i got a text from the Revolut number that they always message me on to say there was a problem with my account and i needed to follow the link to confirm my details, in hind sight i should have contacted them but as the text was on the same as a lot of their genuine messages i did what it asked. About 4 days later i received a call from Revolut (just to note they will never phone you - again i didn't know this until after the event) he said someone was trying to take a loan out on my account and wanted to confirm it was me, i said no and he said he would send me a new card out. He knew all my transactions and never asked me for anything other than confirming my name. He said that someone was trying to move money from my Barclays account also and that their fraud team would contact me. After he hung up i got a call from Barclays 'Fraud' team, this is where alarm bells rang as he was asking odd questions so i said i would contact my branch and hung up. As i was suspicious i tried to log into my revolut account but it was locked (obviously the scammer had changed it).

After numerous messages on twitter and then finally through the app i got back in to find the all the money i had been saving had been paid to a 'Peter George'!

As advised by revolut i raised this with Action Fraud and gave them my case number but they have not returned my money. Their latest stance is that there is a team reviewing whether i can have my money returned.

I've never had this with a bank before, so 2 weeks down the line i am still £600 missing with no news of whether it will be returned.

I thought i would share this as i would hate for this to happen to anyone else. I haven't found Revolut very helpful in this situation and if the money is ever returned will be closing my account.

Its a shame as up until this point it was a good card to have for travel. Just be aware of messages from them even if they look completely genuine, always go via the app.

Hope this helps someone from not being scammed like me!
Cabana Bay - 2019
Lulu-Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Sorry to hear you have been caught up in this. Avoid Revolut altogether would be my advice for the future.

They are being investigated by the financial authorities in the UK due to their lack of anti fraud and money laundering practices. They have a lot of complaints about customer accounts being frozen for no explanation and taking months to be resolved.

There are better companies out there for challenger bank services.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

I hope you get your money back. I've recently read elsewhere of two people having their Revolut accounts hacked. One had £3000 and the other £2500. Neither received any texts or phone calls, the money just disappeared. Both have reported it.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Lulu-Belle
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Sorry to hear you have been caught up in this. Avoid Revolut altogether would be my advice for the future.

They are being investigated by the financial authorities in the UK due to their lack of anti fraud and money laundering practices. They have a lot of complaints about customer accounts being frozen for no explanation and taking months to be resolved.

There are better companies out there for challenger bank services.
Thank you i intend to. The biggest concern is that the scammer moved the money to another Revolut account
Cabana Bay - 2019
Lulu-Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Never click an unexpected link.
Never answer an unexpected call.
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 20, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for this information, everything is easy in hindsight, if the message was on their usual number it would be natural to accept it. I must admit I got an email from them, addressed personally but I was still dubious, so went onto the app. I have since found information on their app about scammers and what to be aware of. It is worrying that they will decide whether to return your money, but understand that this the stance from banks, or it used to be. I used the Revolut card for a few years and am now in two minds as to whether I'll continue to do so.
anneeb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Kasalic
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
And your source of this information please?

Whilst I am sorry that the OP was caught by a scam, it is hardly Revolut’s fault, anymore than it would have been PayPal’s fault if they had fallen for one of the many scam emails/texts that are used to try and trap people.

I use Revolut all the time, and in fact over the last six months I have noticed a major increase in the in app messages reminding you that they will not contact you directly and too be wary of any texts/messages/calls purporting to be from them.

I hope the OP gets something sorted.
June 2015 - 14 days - Silver Creek, Clermont
Sept 2016 - 14 days - Gulf Coast
January 2019 - 16 days - Kissimmee
August 2019 - 7 days - I Drive
Kasalic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kasalic View Post

Whilst I am sorry that the OP was caught by a scam, it is hardly Revolut’s fault, anymore than it would have been PayPal’s fault if they had fallen for one of the many scam emails/texts that are used to try and trap people.

I use Revolut all the time, and in fact over the last six months I have noticed a major increase in the in app messages reminding you that they will not contact you directly and too be wary of any texts/messages/calls purporting to be from them.

I hope the OP gets something sorted.
The people I mentioned didn't get any texts or phone calls, they didn't fall for a scam. The money just disappeared from their accounts.

Edited at 08:46 AM.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kasalic View Post
The overseeing body (Financial Conduct Authority). They have multiple ongoing investigations.

Last year a Chief Information Security Officer joined then and left 2 months later after what he saw. The CISO role is one which has imprison-able consequences of illegal practices.

They have a terrible culture in the way they treat their staff (just do a search) and their customer service is no better with one of the highest number of complaints per 1,000 customer base.

Many customers have just had money frozen with no explanation and taking months to get access to it again.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Simple advice- if you can get a currency free credit card like Post Office or Halifax, go that route and don’t touch Revolut.