Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
For those of a certain age

And bath night was Sunday in our house... THIS REALLY DID HAPPEN TO ME and I’d guess to a few of you!
When I grew up I walked to school and our Dinner time was at a regular time, Sunday’s was a Roast dinner and all the trimmings
Eating out was not heard of, we only had a take away on special occasions, only received a toy on birthdays and at Christmas 📷.
Fast food was fish and chips and having a bottle of coca cola from the shop was a real treat.
You took your school clothes off as soon as you got home and put on your 'playing out' clothes. Children looked like children, we didn't pout, wear makeup or have anxiety. There was no taking or picking you up in the car, you walked or rode your bike!
Our house phone had a cord attached, so there was no such things as private conversations or mobile phones! Ours was out in the hall.
We didn’t have Now tv, Sky or Netflix, we had only 3 channels to watch. Channel 4 was an exciting addition! We had to watch all of the adverts unless you switched to BBC.
We played Army, Bull Dog, Outings, Kerby, Hide & Seek, Tag, Football, made mud pies and rode bikes.
Staying in the house was a PUNISHMENT and the only thing we knew about "bored" was --- "You better find something to do before I find it for you!"
We ate what mum made for our dinner or we ate nothing at all. If we rushed our dinner we weren't allowed to go back out and if we didn't eat it we weren't allowed back out either 📷
Bottled water was not a thing; we drank from the tap, and sometimes from the hose-pipe.
We watched cartoons on Saturday mornings, and rode our bikes for hours and ran around.
We weren't AFRAID OF ANYTHING. We played till dark... street lights were our alarm.
If someone had a fight, that's what it was and we were friends again a week later, if not SOONER.
We watched our MOUTHS around our elders because ALL of our aunts, uncles, grandpas, grandmas, AND our parents' best friends were all extensions of our PARENTS and you didn't want them telling your parents if you misbehaved or they would give you something to cry about. Everyone had respect.
I did my research by borrowing books from the library. There was no internet and no Google! 📷
These were the good days. So many kids today will never know how it feels to be a real kid . I loved my childhood and all the mates I hung around with. Good Times! The Best Times of Our Life!

I know things are know different for the children of today
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

So true. We also had to walk round the corner to use the pay phone 😂.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Kevin. Brilliant and so true. I still remember meal times - don't like the meal presented then tough. You sit there until you have eaten it.

However this is also so true.

I'M A SENIOR CITIZEN!

I'm the life of the party... Even if it lasts until 8p.m.

I'm very good at opening childproof caps... With a hammer.

I'm awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.

I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a thing you're saying.

I'm sure everything I can't find is in a safe secure place, somewhere.

I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg.

I'm beginning to realize that aging is not for wimps.

Yes, I'm a Senior Citizen and I think I am having the time of my life!

Now if I could only remember who told me this.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 10:01 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Kevin. Brilliant and so true. I still remember meal times - don't like the meal presented then tough. You sit there until you have eaten it.

However this is also so true.

I'M A SENIOR CITIZEN!

I'm the life of the party... Even if it lasts until 8p.m.

I'm very good at opening childproof caps... With a hammer.

I'm awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.

I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a thing you're saying.

I'm sure everything I can't find is in a safe secure place, somewhere.

I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg.

I'm beginning to realize that aging is not for wimps.

Yes, I'm a Senior Citizen and I think I am having the time of my life!

Now if I could only remember who told me this.
Yep all true
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
So true. We also had to walk round the corner to use the pay phone 😂.
Remember that well ours was down by the bus stop if a bus came came the conductor world say you waiting for me and my normal come back was why what you done I will not print what he said a few times
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

So true😁👍😁
Also our village Bobby wasnt afraid to clip you round the ear if you had done wrong or were cheeky. If I told my dad he would do it too as I had obviously done something wrong.
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Kevin. At 74 I assume that I can join in?

Respect for the police when I was a teenager was much more in evidence and to be fair their actions were far more proportionate. I was a tall teenager and have to admit that I did frequent the pubs in York city centre as a 16 year old But when challenged by the sergeant and constable I didn't produce a knife and behave threateningly. Similarly the bobbies just asked where I lived in York and they said "go and do your drinking there where you're known".

Before I met Joan I could have four or five (illegal ) pints of John Smith, go to the pictures, have a fish & chip supper and still have change from a pound note.

I can't imaging restarting my 53 year QS career now in the highly confrontational and litigious construction industry. I think that I'd upset too many people who can't cope with face to face discussions.

Mick
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

You have pretty much described my childhood. My papa lived with us , to me this was absolutely normal. He loved gardening and we would help dig, weed and plant. In the summer when it was all out my mum would just send my me and my brother out and say ‘ go pick what you want with your dinner tonight’. It was just fantastic.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Kevin. At 74 I assume that I can join in?

Respect for the police when I was a teenager was much more in evidence and to be fair their actions were far more proportionate. I was a tall teenager and have to admit that I did frequent the pubs in York city centre as a 16 year old But when challenged by the sergeant and constable I didn't produce a knife and behave threateningly. Similarly the bobbies just asked where I lived in York and they said "go and do your drinking there where you're known".

Before I met Joan I could have four or five (illegal ) pints of John Smith, go to the pictures, have a fish & chip supper and still have change from a pound note.

I can't imaging restarting my 53 year QS career now in the highly confrontational and litigious construction industry. I think that I'd upset too many people who can't cope with face to face discussions.

Mick
Mick
I'm a contract manager and it's an absolute nightmare these days, in fact I was kicked off one of my contracts recently when the client was arguing about compliance certs being out off date. I politely pointed out that they had closed sites and wouldn't allow us in due to covid so it wasnt our fault! He had an absolute meltdown.

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

During the summer we would be out all day every day. We would walk for miles to the beach or wherever with friends - we had no money for buses or food. I can’t remember eating anything during the day as there was no such thing as being given a packed lunch! I remember filling a milk bottle with water to take out.

Highlight of my week was a bottle of coke and a bakewell tart on a Friday.

We had so much freedom - great memories.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List