Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 7 Feb 20, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando0520
First POST

Pool Heating in May 2020

Hey,

We are coming to Florida towards the end of May and a number of the party have asked for the pool heating to be on to ensure the pool is warm in the evening.

We are flying with Virgin and when I called up to pay for the pool heating the lady on the phone said she had it on when she went in April/May but they have now come back to me with:

"I would love to go over a few things with you about the pool heat.

Because Florida has such warm weather sometimes this is not needed in the month of May.

Adding pool heat during this time can cause issues with the balance of the pool chemicals. The ambient air temperatures, along with added pool heat, can cause the chlorine in a pool to burn off quicker, running the risk of the pool turning green due to this imbalance. This can therefore result in the pool not being usable until it has been treated & re-balanced. We do not offer refunds or compensate for any days the pool is out of use due to this, as we are advising against adding the pool heat during this time.

We obviously do not wish you to experience any unnecessary issues that may hinder the enjoyment of your stay.
"

I have been to Florida 6 times but we usually go September/October so I could do with some help please:
  • Do we need Pool heating at the end of May for the evening?
  • Should I wait until we go out before deciding?
  • How long does it take to heat up?
  • Should I go back and ask for someone to come and check the chlorine level more often if there is a risk of it going green?

Many thanks
Orlando0520 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

The statment is entirely correct pools shouldn’t run any more than 86/88 or it does affect the chemical balance
Asking for someone to come check the levels more often pool guys come once a week a paid service by the villa owner Virgin will charge you the same as we pay month weekly for a 5 min visit and yes unless you are there 24/7 they can claim he’s been and hasn’t
Pool heaters only work if the heat is set above the ambience temp so if air temp is 86 and pool heater is set at 86 it won’t kick in
Basically what I’m saying a waste of money for something that won’t
Kick in
We often have summer guests who opt jut to have our inground spa heated only at 98 which we can do but not all pool heaters are set up
Like that
Hope that helps
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
It is the phosphates from the surrounding trees and plants that turn pools green not pool heat, the pool heat being on does not burn off the chlorine in the water, pools should be serviced weekly in any case by a certified pool guy and they should check the chemical balance of the pool water and add whatever chemicals are needed if any to the water.

Chlorine tablets are held in a dispenser normally next to the pool filter housing to ensure a constant supply of chlorine to the pool water again these should be checked on the weekly service and topped up as required.

If a pool does turn green (which it shouldn't if serviced correctly at weekly intervals) the water will need to be shocked and the water re balanced this takes around 24 hrs and could be less depending on how long the pool has been left green.

Pool heat is really a personal choice and is recommended from October to April, i have had guests who have had pool heat in August and it did not affect the pool at all.

At that time of year the pool should take anywhere from 12 to 24 hours to heat up dependant on the ambient air temp and the type of heater gas or electric gas will heat up quicker.

If you ask for more frequent checks of the pool it will cost you extra, the once weekly service should be more than enough as long as the pool has been properly balanced in the first place.

Steve

Edited at 12:48 AM.
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Now Steve I’ve learned something new there about the plants etc
We’ve+had our pool go off once the pump went guests didn’t let us or MC know they didn’t want to be charged for it their words
When I got in the day they left I thought some aliens had dissolved in the pool
Chriss our pool guy SOS new pump and pool shocked
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Yes Helen i found out from my pool guy a while back that it was the phosphates/ pollen from trees and plants that turn the water green if the pool is not balanced properly or checked regularly, that's why most pools turn green in the summer months.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Steve I’ve sent you a pm
My pool guy says little swimmers without swim nappies don’t help
I wonder how all those without pool cages and the debri that gets in the pool cope
We have A1 pool guy to
Old 7 Feb 20, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

We’re going on may but not having pool heating. We went june last year and it was fine. We even went in at night but then the pool was in the sun all day too.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You don’t need pool heating at the end of May- and I don’t get in cold pools.
Old 7 Feb 20, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
I go every year in May and always have it on.

I'm a cold fish.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Both sunlight and heat affect the chemical balance of pool water. Warmer water breeds more bacteria so chlorine gets used up faster. UV rays can eat up 90% of chlorine in about 2 hours. Other factors that affect water quality include sun creams from bathers, rain diluting chlorine, algae and phosphates. Florida produces about 75% of all phosphates used in the USA so there are mines everywhere on top of landscapers fertilizing at certain times of the year.

Keeping pool water clean and safe is a science and it's not unknown for a perfectly healthy pool to go green overnight due to a combination of the above.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List