Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Feb 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Worried about not booking a package

I have always booked a holiday package, as it has always felt a safer way for me, as we all have a lot medical needs. I get worried if one of us couldn’t travel back home , but I’m correct that would be our insurance wouldn’t it. I hope you can reassure me and maybe even explain the advantages and also any disadvantages of this. I’m such a worrier and I suppose I just have always done it this way and scared to change. Thanks for any advice and help.
Old 13 Feb 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Adequate insurance is the key to any holiday to be honest which no doubt you've had to sort out previously.

In my experience, generally airlines are very good in cases of emergency whether booked as flight only or a package.

I haven't booked a package holiday for decades but can actually see the value for those that do, but for me I find DIY means more choice and less expensive
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
If you book a package with a tour operator who have a local presence then you may get more assistance, if required. I'm not sure how many companies have this in Orlando though - Virgin and TUI possibly.

Other than that, as you say, it's your travel insurance that will be your primary assistance in repatriation or similar, if required.

I'm not sure I've been on a package since my parents first took me to Orlando in 1987. In, at a guess, 30 trips there since I've always gone DIY.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

I have not done a package holiday since my early 20s (I am nearly 50). I definitely would not do a package for a Disney holiday as it is so simple to book yourself.

I have no idea what the benefits of a package are, cannot think of any. I do DIY as I prefer to deal with accommodation providers, airlines directly rather than through a middle man.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

Make sure you get travel insurance that covers you and any medical conditions but shop around for it😉 As long as you book with ATOL and ABTA registered companies you will be fine. We book ( and have done since 2013 ) the accommodation and tickets and free dining ( when eligible ) direct with Walt Disney Travel Company and flights with whomever works out best price for us from what ever airport we want. This years flights for us worked out much cheaper flying outbound and return from Gatwick with BA. We have used indirect flights in the past when the costs were in our favour and we had the time to take on our journeys. This year we don’t have the liberty of lots of time for travel to and from our destination hence the direct flights. You just need to get the timing right for the flights which are usually in the more reasonable price brackets about 330 days before your departure date. Once you get that worked out you are golden. Have fun planning your next vacation.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I have never booked a package holiday in my life.
80+ trips to Florida and various other holidays around the world.

Travel Insurance including "End Supplier Failure" is what you need. A low excess also.

Book everything on a credit card.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Thanks so much for all the information, it makes more sense now, I just worried if one of us was unable to return home due to a illness etc, what would happen, but obviously this would be our insurance, who would deal with this side of things. Just to throw a spanner in the works if airline went bust, highly unlikely I now, but who would be responsible for getting us home, we don’t have credit cards, would the airline be responsible...
Old 13 Feb 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Now is the time to get a credit card. Even if you don't use it for anything else. Get one and pay for your holiday on it.

The TC fiasco, those paying with debit cards had a nightmare getting refunds. GWWM another example.

So a few years ago, I ended up in Celebration hospital after a very nasty laceration to my hand. This happened on the morning of my flight. Quick call to insurance company (was through my credit card - Amex), they sorted out the hospital bill, had to just show ID, they sorted out flights as we had to fly two days later. Car hire extra days - bill went straight to them which they paid. All sorted, no hassle.

If the airline went bust, your insurance, if you have end supplier failure, will get you home. However as with the TC fiasco, gov stepped in to get everyone sorted.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I would endorse what people have said about getting a credit card if only for booking holidays etc as it offers more protection.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

I've not done a package, usa or europe since 1992, I fractured my knee in florida in 2015 n insurance covered everything, we had to stay 3 days longer, they paid for beach club with dining plan, park tickets, business class flights fir all of us, me, hubbie n daughter, nothing to do with a package or not
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List