Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 29 Sep 20, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Change of Hotel if booked with Avios?

If I book an airport hotel on the BA website and use our Avios is it easy to change hotels (with no charge) still using the Avios points if BA change the flights to a different airport?

We are booked out of Gatwick at the moment but I know they have often switched the flights and moved people out of heathrow - if this is the case and I have booked a Gatwick Hotel using my Avios (individually, not on the same booking as my flydrive) and then switch can I (easily enough) change the booking to a Heathrow Hotel without incurring any charges OR of we ended up moving it to say Manchester (if they switch to unsuitable flights) would they cancel the hotel and refund the Avios due to them changing the flights?

Thanks
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by OLS View Post
If I book an airport hotel on the BA website and use our Avios is it easy to change hotels (with no charge) still using the Avios points if BA change the flights to a different airport?

We are booked out of Gatwick at the moment but I know they have often switched the flights and moved people out of heathrow - if this is the case and I have booked a Gatwick Hotel using my Avios (individually, not on the same booking as my flydrive) and then switch can I (easily enough) change the booking to a Heathrow Hotel without incurring any charges OR of we ended up moving it to say Manchester (if they switch to unsuitable flights) would they cancel the hotel and refund the Avios due to them changing the flights?

Thanks
I have actually found that Avios hotel bookings are pretty inflexible, not easy to refund or change. Before you book read the small print very carefully, usually there is a charge, sometimes I have booked thinking they are refundable and then it appears they are not.

I did get a couple of refunds from pandemic cancellations but only because the hotels were completely shut.

This may just be me, I have had some good hotel bookings I have used with Avios. Hotel booking is not considered by the experts to be a good use of Avios if you look at the price per unit you get as against a cash booking.

If it was me I would do a cash booking, I have actually got cheap cash refundable bookings for the same night at Heathrow and Gatwick and will cancel whichever one i dont need or both!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I have actually found that Avios hotel bookings are pretty inflexible, not easy to refund or change. Before you book read the small print very carefully, usually there is a charge, sometimes I have booked thinking they are refundable and then it appears they are not.

I did get a couple of refunds from pandemic cancellations but only because the hotels were completely shut.

This may just be me, I have had some good hotel bookings I have used with Avios. Hotel booking is not considered by the experts to be a good use of Avios if you look at the price per unit you get as against a cash booking.

If it was me I would do a cash booking, I have actually got cheap cash refundable bookings for the same night at Heathrow and Gatwick and will cancel whichever one i dont need or both!
ahh ok thanks - I did think they might be a lot less flexable if booked with Avios.

TBH I know they are not as good value using on hotels but I don't know when else I would use the points as I wasn't able to use them to get a discount on this latest booking due to it being a fly drive so I figured I may as well used them for the hotel and save the £100 or so there instead of the £160 I was going to get off flight only
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

ahh ok thanks - I did think they might be a lot less flexable if booked with Avios.

TBH I know they are not as good value using on hotels but I don't know when else I would use the points as I wasn't able to use them to get a discount on this latest booking due to it being a fly drive so I figured I may as well used them for the hotel and save the £100 or so there instead of the £160 I was going to get off flight only
Yes, its difficult to know what to do with a few but maybe keep saving, as long as you pay into your account they wont expire. You will get more with your flydrive.

I get Avios from Tesco shopping, online shopping through the Avios store and through my American Express card.

You could also open a family account and pool the Avios.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 20, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Yes, its difficult to know what to do with a few but maybe keep saving, as long as you pay into your account they wont expire. You will get more with your flydrive.

I get Avios from Tesco shopping, online shopping through the Avios store and through my American Express card.

You could also open a family account and pool the Avios.
Thanks Munmum - Do I just need to manually "buy" some points every year if I am not using BA and getting more Avios in order to keep the account active then?

Unfortunately I shop at Asda (maybe I should change if it's worth it! ). I will look at online shopping (cause I do A LOT ) through the Avios store as I didn't know that was a thing! Can't get an Amex at the moment as I switch our balances to 0% cards, once they are paid off though I will look in to that as well.

I did set up the family account so all the Avios are pooled. We have 29k which I realise is next to nothing
Old 6 Oct 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Thanks Munmum - Do I just need to manually "buy" some points every year if I am not using BA and getting more Avios in order to keep the account active then?

Unfortunately I shop at Asda (maybe I should change if it's worth it! ). I will look at online shopping (cause I do A LOT ) through the Avios store as I didn't know that was a thing! Can't get an Amex at the moment as I switch our balances to 0% cards, once they are paid off though I will look in to that as well.

I did set up the family account so all the Avios are pooled. We have 29k which I realise is next to nothing
I believe that as long as you have a small amount of activity onto the account it remains active. So just one thing.

Happy to stand corrected as that may have changed. I have so much going through my account that I dont think about that.