Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 16 Sep 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
bigkid2014
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
Unfortunately, Seaview Wildlife Encounter closed down a year or 2 ago.
Oh dear. Didn’t know. Had a lovely day out there. (My daughters loved going in the wallaby enclosure to feed them).

Our Happy Place
bigkid2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

There is a lovely pub down Shanklin sea front called the Steamer Inn, we always make a trip there for lunch or dinner (last time we stopped there twice) friendly staff, allow kids and a lovely location (also allows dogs!) Ventnor is lovely too and another lovely pub called the Spyglass inn. Shanklin old towns is so pretty. We live the Isle of Wight. Down the road from the ferry terminal there is a lovely old monastery, called Quarr Abbey, with a little farm shop and cafe, if you like that sort of thing.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by bigkid2014 View Post
Oh dear. Didn’t know. Had a lovely day out there. (My daughters loved going in the wallaby enclosure to feed them).
The wallabies are now at Tapnell Farm x
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Where to begin ?

A visit to east Cowes allows you to see the cruise ships entering and leaving Southampton, due to a Sandbank they have to come really close to the island you get a good view, there’s a wee cafe that posts the schedule, you can take the Chain ferry (floating bridge) into Cowes for a walk around the shops and pubs

So many nice beaches but my fave is St Helens stunning

More “commercial” towns are Sandowm and Ryde, arcades etc

The Wild West side with the needles and surfing beaches

A trip up the culver down is fab, pub at the top and spectacular view

You can take the 10 minute hovercraft to Portsmouth for a day, it goes from Ryde

A fishing trip from Yarmouth is always good

A trip around the circumference of the island stopping at pubs and beaches

Fabulous sunsets and so much to do

Had a post lock down 2 weeks, fab weather and we had an absolute blast !

My fave beach 👇

Edited at 08:27 AM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 20, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

sykescottages/cott...8&changeover=6

This is the house we have booked for next year, rearranged from earlier this year.

We go to the Isle of Wight almost every year, we all love it there.
The Red Funnel ferry is in my opinion much better than Wightlink, it takes an hour from Southampton and is a lovely start to your holiday.
Cowes is a lovely place to stay, we have often stayed in the Marinus apartments, which over look the harbour and the ferry terminal.
For me some must visits are;
The IOW Zoo, it's not a very big zoo, but worth it to see the tigers.
The Needles, take the chair lift down to the beach and then go on the boat trip out to the Needles.
Monkey Haven, again it's not very big, but well worth a visit, and the keeper talks are really interesting.
Not sure how old your kids are but the steam railway was always my sons favourite when he was young.
Shanklin Chine, the best value ticket is the one where you get to visit at both night and day, nice to see it with the lights on.
Shanklin seafront has some great adventure golf, pirates and dinosaurs. There's also a new dinosaur golf in Sandown.
Dinosaur Isle in Sandown, again it's not very big, only need a couple of hours there, but great for the kids.
Godshill, there is a really nice Model Village there, but there's also the best cafe on the island - The Old Smithy.
Little Gems in Godshill run dinosaur walks on the beach at Brook, these are really interesting and you get to see dinosaur footprints.
Blackgang Chine and Robin Hill, both great for under 12's.
Tackt-Isle Adventures in St. Helens is great for hiring canoes, paddleboards, etc.
My new favourite thing to do is an Alpaca walk at West Wight Alpacas, only discovered this last year, we will definitely do this again.
There is so much to do there that we never get bored, even on a 2 week holiday there's always something we can't fit in.
We started taking our son there when he was 3, as he got older the places we visited changed, but he still wants to visit each year and he is 17 now.

If you book with Red Funnel you can get a discount on some of the attractions, but you have to book them at the same time. I'm sure you will have a lovely time.
Old 6 Oct 20, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Helen J View Post
sykescottages/cott...8&changeover=6

This is the house we have booked for next year, rearranged from earlier this year.

We go to the Isle of Wight almost every year, we all love it there.
The Red Funnel ferry is in my opinion much better than Wightlink, it takes an hour from Southampton and is a lovely start to your holiday.
Cowes is a lovely place to stay, we have often stayed in the Marinus apartments, which over look the harbour and the ferry terminal.
For me some must visits are;
The IOW Zoo, it's not a very big zoo, but worth it to see the tigers.
The Needles, take the chair lift down to the beach and then go on the boat trip out to the Needles.
Monkey Haven, again it's not very big, but well worth a visit, and the keeper talks are really interesting.
Not sure how old your kids are but the steam railway was always my sons favourite when he was young.
Shanklin Chine, the best value ticket is the one where you get to visit at both night and day, nice to see it with the lights on.
Shanklin seafront has some great adventure golf, pirates and dinosaurs. There's also a new dinosaur golf in Sandown.
Dinosaur Isle in Sandown, again it's not very big, only need a couple of hours there, but great for the kids.
Godshill, there is a really nice Model Village there, but there's also the best cafe on the island - The Old Smithy.
Little Gems in Godshill run dinosaur walks on the beach at Brook, these are really interesting and you get to see dinosaur footprints.
Blackgang Chine and Robin Hill, both great for under 12's.
Tackt-Isle Adventures in St. Helens is great for hiring canoes, paddleboards, etc.
My new favourite thing to do is an Alpaca walk at West Wight Alpacas, only discovered this last year, we will definitely do this again.
There is so much to do there that we never get bored, even on a 2 week holiday there's always something we can't fit in.
We started taking our son there when he was 3, as he got older the places we visited changed, but he still wants to visit each year and he is 17 now.

If you book with Red Funnel you can get a discount on some of the attractions, but you have to book them at the same time. I'm sure you will have a lovely time.
Wow. Thanks for the reply, loads for me to look at and consider here! Dd will be nearly 10 when we go! Feeling very excited to have this booked now, so many people are saying such lovely things about it.

Thanks everyone for the advice - I’m sorry I’ve been slow to respond, I’ve had a lot going on so not been dibbing!
Old 13 Oct 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

We've just booked a week in the Isle of Wight through island-holiday-homes/ Theyve been very helpful so far, and we got a great deal on the ferry through them too.

Have bookmarked everything already written here! We cant wait. Any other recommendations for 2 teenage boys greatly appreciated 👍🏻
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I've just booked a few days in Shanklin for next week
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post
We've just booked a week in the Isle of Wight through island-holiday-homes/ Theyve been very helpful so far, and we got a great deal on the ferry through them too.

Have bookmarked everything already written here! We cant wait. Any other recommendations for 2 teenage boys greatly appreciated 👍🏻

If your teenagers are adventurous and into water sports, there are loads of things for them to do:

The new Aqua Park at Tapnell Farm, we haven't been yet because it only opened this year, but we are looking forward to trying it.
Isle of Wight Adventure Activities, Freshwater, they do things like kayaking and coastering.
Tackt-Isle Adventures in St Helens - all water sports.

There is also Wight Karting - my son loves go-karting.
Escape rooms in Newport - we all enjoy escape rooms and have really missed doing them this year.
Take the chair lift down to beach at the needles, and go on the boat trip. There are 2 boat trips, a slow gentle trip and a speed boat type fast one.
At Blackgang Chine there is the Islands only rollercoaster (a smallish one) and a great water slide, but most of it is better suited to the under 11's.
The dinosaur and fossil walks are very good, especially if you find some dinosaur bones.
You can do axe throwing, archery and mountain boarding (like snowboarding on grass), somewhere in Freshwater.
There are a few very good crazy golf places in Shanklin and Sandown.

Can you tell we love it there.