Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Oct 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
Love crispy fried spam! Only actual spam though, not the cheaper alternatives as they’re mechanically refined. My mum watched a documentary in it years ago, and told me all about it. Put me off for life!
What do you actually think SPAM is? !
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
What is SPAM made of?
It may come as a pleasant surprise to learn that SPAM is not the preservative-packed mystery meat you might think it is. In fact, SPAM only contains six ingredients! And the brand’s website lists them all. They are: pork with ham meat added (that counts as one), salt, water, potato starch, sugar, and sodium nitrite. Most of those are as simple as simple gets! The only one that might raise eyebrows a little is the sodium nitrite, which is “a preservative to help retain freshness,” Schend explains. The website says that it is there to “uphold the meat’s high standard of quality.”

To make SPAM, the ground-up pork and ham are mixed with the other ingredients for 20 minutes. When the mixture reaches the proper temperature, it’s put into the cans, which are vacuum-sealed. The cans are cooked and then cooled for three hours, after which they’re ready for their labels. And that’s all there is to it!
Old 17 Oct 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Love a Spam and egg butty on a proper muffin occasionally as a breakfast treat, it was a good hangover cure when I was younger 😂
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
I know what it is, it’s the mechanically refined part that’s disgusting. That’s where they throw the bones and everything in
Old 17 Oct 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
I know what it is, it’s the mechanically refined part that’s disgusting. That’s where they throw the bones and everything in
I agree - GreekGranny’s description made me feel sick 🤢 and although I have never had it I certainly would never even try is now after reading her description of the gunk in it
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I agree - GreekGranny’s description made me feel sick 🤢 and although I have never had it I certainly would never even try is now after reading her description of the gunk in it
MF, was interested that you said in your youth your Mum wouldnt have it in her pantry. Made me think maybe you had grouse and wood pigeon in there instead along with home made pickles and jam
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
MF, was interested that you said in your youth your Mum wouldnt have it in her pantry. Made me think maybe you had grouse and wood pigeon in there instead along with home made pickles and jam
Agree, that thought had crossed my mind when I read the post!
Old 17 Oct 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Larder ! But certainly she made her own jams, pickles and ham plus living in Lincolnshire venison was a staple for all of us locals
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Larder ! But certainly she made her own jams, pickles and ham plus living in Lincolnshire venison was a staple for all of us locals
My Aunt and Uncle lived in Yorkshire and when they visited used to always bring venison. Lovely.

Funny story. They arrived one day way back in the mid 60's and my Uncle said to me go in the car boot as there is a pheasant in there I knocked over driving through Nottingham County
So as a 10 year old I went to his car, opened the boot to be faced with an angry pheasant who lunged at me, jumped out of the car and ran off down the road. Where he ended up in a Cardiff suburb I never did find out.

However my next task was to spend half an hour cleaning pheasant poo out of his boot.

Finally Spam. My Wife wont have it in the house.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
margshel4753
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Our mam used to fry it in batter. Lovely with beans and chips. Haven’t had it for years so don’t know if I still like it.

Feb 2005 B/W Movieland(Monumental Movieland)
May 2006 Doubletree LBV(Orlando Vista] , Oct 2011 POR & Rosen Inn
May 2012 POR, April 2013 POR
, Oct 2014 POR, H/Inn C/Water, RPR, Rosen Inn, Yacht Club
margshel4753 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List