Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Interesting to know how many are signing contracts for next year yet? I feel it’s early but realise that if there is an early uptake of housing generally then Georgia shouldn’t wait too long as Bristol isn’t an easy area to get good, affordable accommodation.

I still think she will wait until the accommodation fair in early December but will have done some research and maybe a viewing or two as well. Ideally, she can secure a good home by Xmas.

I do wonder how much of a push is made by the landlords and letting agencies to get them to sign early as they benefit greatly from this.

It’s a concern that they are committing to moving in with new friends, that they have only known 2-3 months too. What if they find different friends in a few months time, or what happens if one drops out? I know all the advice is to sign individual contracts per room, not entire house shares, but Bristol University itself says these contracts are very rare and most are a joint contract. If that is the case, then they will be unlikely to find a good house without agreeing to those terms. It does seem very stressful 😔
Trouble is... not only are most joint contracts for all housemates, they also invariably want a guarantor too. Makes for some very difficult decisions.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Sheffield Hallam have a section on there website telling students not to panic and that there is a surplus of student housing in Sheffield. They state that most don’t start to sign up until the new year and that you will still find accommodation if you don’t start to look until later in the academic year. Molly is waiting until the new year, she has got her student accommodation in Sheffield and then she has to sort out accommodation in Newcastle for her placements so will sort out next years Sheffield housing in January.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

I have no idea when my DD will sort out accommodation for next year, I know she’s not planning on doing it soon though.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
I have no idea when my DD will sort out accommodation for next year, I know she’s not planning on doing it soon though.
I don’t think there is a shortage in Manchester either
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
I don’t think there is a shortage in Manchester either
I think you’re right, there certainly doesn’t seem to be any panic among the students she knows at her uni to get set up for next year yet.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Trouble is... not only are most joint contracts for all housemates, they also invariably want a guarantor too. Makes for some very difficult decisions.
Yes, exactly. I would be guarantor for Georgia’s share but not the whole house 😔
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks Dubletrub and Sammykitten I think that’s the problem with Bristol, there is a shortage and landlords take advantage of that. Some first years this year had to commute in from Newport in Wales for the first month as there wasn’t enough first year accommodation for them in Bristol

Despite this, I don’t think Georgia will rush a decision (she is famous at home for not making a decision quickly 😂 ) and will be sure she is choosing the right flatmates and accommodation before she commits
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck with the house hunting. I have no idea what that will be like for DS in a year’s time. I know there is an accommodation office on campus. Thankfully he is guaranteed accommodation for the first two years!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Ben hasn’t looked at any accommodation for next year yet. I did ask him if any of the friends he has made have said anything about sharing but he said it’s not really been mentioned yet. I think I will get him to start looking in the New Year, very hard to know who to share with at the moment.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Good luck with the house hunting. I have no idea what that will be like for DS in a year’s time. I know there is an accommodation office on campus. Thankfully he is guaranteed accommodation for the first two years!
I think it’s good that they have accommodation sorted for two years. It gives them a chance to settle in and make friends without the hurry. Would he be sharing after the first two years or move in on his own?