Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Oct 18, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Might see you there! Been to have a look once already as DS not sure if he def wants to go to uni but is sure he doesn’t want to move away. He’s deciding between business or history but has only sat in on the business talk. We’ve got all the leaflets to read before 20th to see if he wants to go back and listen to the history talks
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We are also at Kent on 20th. We have Hertfordshire next weekend.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Should have been a Portsmouth yesterday but have been in bed ill for 4 days now. We are in the North West of England so couldn't call a friend. She has rearranged the day so we will get there. Just cutting it fine
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Should have been a Portsmouth yesterday but have been in bed ill for 4 days now. We are in the North West of England so couldn't call a friend. She has rearranged the day so we will get there. Just cutting it fine
Oh no, hope you feel better soon.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have finished our tour of Universities. Personally I have really enjoyed it all and found it a very interesting experience.

University life has certainly changed since I went. With the introduction of student loans, it all feels increasingly like we are entering a business deal but the consumer (the student) is frequently getting a rough deal at the moment. Stories of kids paying £9,000 a year and then receiving 4 hours teaching a week is unacceptable and Universities need to raise their game.

I did smile at the expectations now around accommodation: ensuites, WiFi, games rooms, colour co-ordinated kitchen appliances. In my day, all unheard of and we lived to tell the tale! (I know - I sound old).

I found the Universities shouting about how high they were in rankings a bit spurious in the end. Depending on which publication you read, the rankings varied very wildly. The Times, The Guardian all had different results.

Instead I decided to put together my own rankings entitled ‘The smother mothers’ league tables and it would have criteria including:

1. The University that I would most likely attend Parents’ Evening(if they ran)
York University easily wins this with the rather dashing, bronzed Australian head of department.
2. The best fluffy towels:
Newcastle University topped this with not only fluffy towels but also colour co-ordinated kitchen appliances
3. Best party atmosphere:
Sussex University won hands down. Street food trucks, bbq food and gorgeous sunshine all made for a great day out. Loads of families were filling the bars’ outdoor patios and chilling in the sun. To top it all, there was a music festival going on next door.
4. Most entertaining course talk:
Well the York University bronzed Aussie set the bar high. I don’t recall much of what he actually said...
5. Best located Starbucks
Coventry University topped this category. Having a Starbucks located next to the Maths lecture theatre was a stroke of genius by the architect who must have also loathed maths. I walked into the Maths lecture theatre, asked if we were going to do any maths and then promptly abandoned my family saying I’m off for a Starbucks, you’ll find me there when you are finished.
6. Most interesting halls of residence location:
Nottingham Trent and Coventry are joint winners. Coventry for having some halls located behind a funeral parlour (that has to be a party pooper) and Nottingham Trent for having some halls located behind a gun shop that had a splendid window display of shotguns and handguns (I am not joking).
7. Best freebies - I was the self appointed head of collecting freebies. These ranged from bags to security gadgets. Led and York did pretty good on this score. Sussex were particularly poor on this.
8. Best free snacks
The Leeds nursing team did themselves proud with a very welcome cup of tea (DD was a hard taskmaster and was reluctant to let us have coffee breaks) and Sussex Maths department had some delicious looking pastries (I was allowed to look but the diet stopped me partaking).

Does anyone have anything they would like to ad to the list? 😉😉
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post
We have finished our tour of Universities. Personally I have really enjoyed it all and found it a very interesting experience.

University life has certainly changed since I went. With the introduction of student loans, it all feels increasingly like we are entering a business deal but the consumer (the student) is frequently getting a rough deal at the moment. Stories of kids paying £9,000 a year and then receiving 4 hours teaching a week is unacceptable and Universities need to raise their game.

I did smile at the expectations now around accommodation: ensuites, WiFi, games rooms, colour co-ordinated kitchen appliances. In my day, all unheard of and we lived to tell the tale! (I know - I sound old).

I found the Universities shouting about how high they were in rankings a bit spurious in the end. Depending on which publication you read, the rankings varied very wildly. The Times, The Guardian all had different results.

Instead I decided to put together my own rankings entitled ‘The smother mothers’ league tables and it would have criteria including:

York University easily wins this with the rather dashing, bronzed Australian head of department.
Newcastle University topped this with not only fluffy towels but also colour co-ordinated kitchen appliances
Sussex University won hands down. Street food trucks, bbq food and gorgeous sunshine all made for a great day out. Loads of families were filling the bars’ outdoor patios and chilling in the sun. To top it all, there was a music festival going on next door.
Well the York University bronzed Aussie set the bar high. I don’t recall much of what he actually said...
Coventry University topped this category. Having a Starbucks located next to the Maths lecture theatre was a stroke of genius by the architect who must have also loathed maths. I walked into the Maths lecture theatre, asked if we were going to do any maths and then promptly abandoned my family saying I’m off for a Starbucks, you’ll find me there when you are finished.
Nottingham Trent and Coventry are joint winners. Coventry for having some halls located behind a funeral parlour (that has to be a party pooper) and Nottingham Trent for having some halls located behind a gun shop that had a splendid window display of shotguns and handguns (I am not joking).
7. Best freebies - I was the self appointed head of collecting freebies. These ranged from bags to security gadgets. Led and York did pretty good on this score. Sussex were particularly poor on this.
8. Best free snacks
The Leeds nursing team did themselves proud with a very welcome cup of tea (DD was a hard taskmaster and was reluctant to let us have coffee breaks) and Sussex Maths department had some delicious looking pastries (I was allowed to look but the diet stopped me partaking).

I would love to give you an award for most entertaining and helpful post on this thread 😂😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Best food offering goes to Aberystwyth for us. We had regular free coffees including a snack/coffee at Starbucks and free fish and chips lunch.

Aberystwyth also gets most interesting freebie as we could have had free tickets to watch Aberystwyth Town play football that evening (sadly for DH we had to decline as we needed to set off home)

Aberystwyth also wins most interesting course talk as it involved a tour of the university’s aquarium while the lecturer gave a fascinating talk on marine Biology.

Best party atmosphere was Bristol who had lots of food trucks set around the garden areas, the gorgeous sunshine helped here too.

Not surprising that these 2 universities are DD’s favourites we have visited too😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Mobile

8. Best free snacks

Brilliant post!

I agree about the league tables and publications - they just chose the best ranking to show them in the best light of course. It all gets very confusing.

Has anyone been to Royal Holloway or Surrey yet? Both are next Saturday, but the accommodation is not open to look at Surrey.

Yesterday at Coventry and Warwick we were able to look at rooms while the students were in them. I loved the young lad at Coventry who opened the door in his dressing gown and had his Playstation set up playing Fortnite and did a fantastic job showing 8 of us around his room. He made sure we were all able to look in his wardrobe moving us around so that we could get a good view. Then the lad who was chuffed when I said his room smelt nice and the Uni Ambassador on the tour said he should put that on his CV!
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

8. Best free snacks

Love this.
Loughborough annoyed me banging on about their rankings in the psychology talk, you may be number one for sport but you don’t even have a department for Dds chosen subject. Although they did win for best party atmosphere and student union talk.
Best free snacks went to Colchester, pick n mix, popcorn, smoothies plus 15% off meals. UEA was runner up with Millie’s type cookies.
Best photo booth goes to Reading, had a great time getting dressed up and getting the photo for free.
Best restaurant goes to Nottingham Trent, Kitty Cafe in the city. Drinks with real rescue cats pouncing around, this is going to end up costing us £9 a month for a membership for Dd.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8

8. Best free snacks

Great post! That cracked me up

Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Brilliant post!

I agree about the league tables and publications - they just chose the best ranking to show them in the best light of course. It all gets very confusing.

Has anyone been to Royal Holloway or Surrey yet? Both are next Saturday, but the accommodation is not open to look at Surrey.

Yesterday at Coventry and Warwick we were able to look at rooms while the students were in them. I loved the young lad at Coventry who opened the door in his dressing gown and had his Playstation set up playing Fortnite and did a fantastic job showing 8 of us around his room. He made sure we were all able to look in his wardrobe moving us around so that we could get a good view. Then the lad who was chuffed when I said his room smelt nice and the Uni Ambassador on the tour said he should put that on his CV!
We have been to both Royal Holloway and Surrey. Both had ok accommodation, not the best we have seen but not the worst. But we were impressed with all other aspects at both Unis. The grounds at Royal Holloway are stunning, you will feel like you are at Hogwarts.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List