Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 17, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Do You Always Tip The Full Amount?
In short, yes.

If I was disgruntled about the tip amount (or couldn't afford the extra) on an expensive meal then I wouldn't go.

There's plenty of other alternative places to eat that won't rack up a large (or sometimes any) tip.

Of course bad service is different but as that wasn't mentioned i'm not taking that into consideration on my above answer.

Edited at 02:50 PM.
MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by WDWMAD View Post
Totally understand that, but, getting angry, come on, that is just wrong, you haven't stole their wallet.
But you have stolen part of their pay for the evening.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

CRT includes tip (as someone already said) but yes, you're expected to tip around $40 on a $200 meal. That's just how the US system works, as their pay structures are different to here. Average tips are included in the amount that the staff are expecting to earn so their rate is calculated accordingly. As such, their base salary can be well below a living wage. I think the legal minimum is something shocking like $2/hour before tips.

I will pay below, but only if the service was shockingly bad. I've also paid well above for excellent service. And once when it was fine, but I couldn't be bothered waiting for change.

ETA: This is why I always say to factor in tips when people are trying to maximise their TS credits by ordering really expensive menu items. Disney recommend 18-20%, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving anything less than 15% even on average service.

Edited at 02:56 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
They are included at Cinderella's Royal Table and the three dinner shows.
Just checked and you're right, we have paid $29.58 (£23) in Gratuity, before the meal and service.
WDWMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
But you have stolen part of their pay for the evening.
I think stolen is a bit harsh personally.
WDWMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucyjane45xxx
Imagineer

I would say that it isn't that harsh. In America the system works very differently to how it works in the UK. People working in table service restaurants get paid well below those who work at counter service places for the reason that they get tipped.

It has been mentioned on previous tipping threads that the people working in table service restaurants get taxed on their wages under the presumption that they have been paid tips, therefore if someone leaves them a lower/zero tip then it does eat into their wages.

I just got back from my trip on Tuesday and we ate at a table service most evenings (and some signatures too) and we left 20% every night
"The Superfan & The Skeptic" - Trip Report Index Here
Lucyjane45xxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by WDWMAD View Post
I think stolen is a bit harsh personally.
You can call it what you want but everyone knows about the tip and if you choose not to do it, you're making a choice to deprive that staff member

I know you don't want to hear that, but that's how the US works and you're on holiday there
3family is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Ahh the old tipping conversation *grabs popcorn and waits for the show to start*
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by 3family View Post
You can call it what you want but everyone knows about the tip and if you choose not to do it, you're making a choice to deprive that staff member

I know you don't want to here that, but that's how the US works and you're on holiday there
I haven't got a problem tipping, I ALWAYS TIP, I'm just a bit concerned that we are expected to tip the full amount on meals costing a lot of money, what if the service isn't great?
Old 25 May 17, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lucyjane45xxx View Post
I would say that it isn't that harsh. In America the system works very differently to how it works in the UK. People working in table service restaurants get paid well below those who work at counter service places for the reason that they get tipped.

It has been mentioned on previous tipping threads that the people working in table service restaurants get taxed on their wages under the presumption that they have been paid tips, therefore if someone leaves them a lower/zero tip then it does eat into their wages.
And what if, people like myself, didn't have information like that, which is why I can't understand the 'getting angry' part.
Closed Thread