Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Jun 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Until you actually fly you haven't trchnically been downgraded which is why they won't entertain paying out before you fly.

Originally Posted by papamouse View Post
also very strangely they wont fully schedule these flights until 330 days out, so planes may change again!
Also why airlines don't pay out beforehand as well..

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by papamouse View Post
hello

SK would love your legal take on this as airlines are abusing these rules and CAA are backing them up.

OP you have been "downgraded" - you booked for a higher class and now have been move to a lower class - this is covered under EU rules and policed by PACT at CAA in this country.

heres the EU legislation europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...r/index_en.htm

I booked in June 2015 for July 2016 trip. 300 days out they downgraded me. I got the PE fund refunded and all the premium perks. When I returned I claimed and got back £1600 and £400 voucher for all the hassle.

Subsequently I have helped other dibbers - but the wording of the law is being used by the airlines to deny claims - but I think I know how to make the best of the situation.

Article 10 in the law covers downgrading - but earlier in the wording, article 2/3 it lays out the scope of the rules.

In relation to being completely bumped off a plane, Article 2/3 says you must check in... so airlines use this against claiming NOW for being downgraded.

I emailed CAA and asked about timescales in relation to downgrading and they emailed back to say there are no timescales!

One dibber who hadn't travelled raised a claim, airline denied it - then the escalated to CAA and they denied it! Due to timescales!

You have been downgraded, but you haven't checked in - therefore claim denied. If you are following the letter of this law.

BUT TC have been very fair to me and in my experience if you escalate and complain properly.

1) the chance to cancel with no penalty
2) move your booking to be on 2 flights with PE as planned,
or you can
3) take the flight, get your PE money back, keep the PE perks, free elr seats and they have in the past offer some cash back too (not up to 75% but people have been happy with what they have offered)
4) if you (following the wording) Have a booking for PE, check in, are downgraded and take the flight - can make the claim when you come back and any comp paid MUST be upped to the 75%, and they must pay within 7 days!

You can claim back up to 6 years ago but once we leave the eu I guess this rule just wont apply any more unless CAA still enforce something.
You don't need me PapaMouse, looks like you've hit the nail on the head. It sounds like the airlines are abusing the system, but the rules are not specific enough to prevent it. I wish it surprised me!
Old 1 Jun 17, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsFlorida
Trying for More Ears

I have now spent 4 hours trying to contact Thomas Cook. After being cut off twice for mentioning the EU rule I tried the online chat. I waited over 30 minutes to reach the front of the queue only for the box to disappear before my eyes. I tried again and after another 30 minutes I managed to be told that I am unable to change my premium from inbound to outbound without having to pay extra money. I was then given yet another telephone number which I tried once more. The lady told me that I would have to pay £2000 extra to move my premium from inbound to outbound. I was given a complaints telephone number which would not work. I am disgusted with Thomas Cook who in their email stated to contact them to discuss alternatives. The alternative seems to be that we pay £2000 more for something we had already which was taken away! Will keep fighting!
MrsFlorida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsFlorida View Post
I have now spent 4 hours trying to contact Thomas Cook. After being cut off twice for mentioning the EU rule I tried the online chat. I waited over 30 minutes to reach the front of the queue only for the box to disappear before my eyes. I tried again and after another 30 minutes I managed to be told that I am unable to change my premium from inbound to outbound without having to pay extra money. I was then given yet another telephone number which I tried once more. The lady told me that I would have to pay £2000 extra to move my premium from inbound to outbound. I was given a complaints telephone number which would not work. I am disgusted with Thomas Cook who in their email stated to contact them to discuss alternatives. The alternative seems to be that we pay £2000 more for something we had already which was taken away! Will keep fighting!
We already had premium outbound and inbound, so we kept premium by moving our booking by one day. I can understand Thomas Cook with your booking, you appear to want to upgrade a different flight, so you would need to pay as others would have to do. They are concerned with the inbound flight that they have changed, so you either take the money that they are offering and put this towards upgrading your outbound flights. Or you move your flight date so that you can keep your premium flight, which they will do for you. If you can't move your dates, then you have to stay on the flight they have changed to.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

you just haven't talked to the right person yet.

go and the resolver website its great and will email and escalate on your behalf.

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Well I called TC on the number given by 'Operations'(As the number detailed in the email is of no use!)

I asked to be moved to the flight the next day. They wanted an extra £850. I advised this was unacceptable and after checking with the 'helpdesk' he told me he couldn't help me and gave the complaints telephone number and email address.

Unfortunately I was unable to call before 8pm so email sent.

Thanks for all your advice papamouse and scalexander(and all the lovely dibbers) it's very helpful
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by shelle View Post
Well I called TC on the number given by 'Operations'(As the number detailed in the email is of no use!)

I asked to be moved to the flight the next day. They wanted an extra £850. I advised this was unacceptable and after checking with the 'helpdesk' he told me he couldn't help me and gave the complaints telephone number and email address.

Thanks for all your advice papamouse and scalexander(and all the lovely dibbers) it's very helpful
the peoplethey have told you to call sadly haven't been empowered by their company to help you! They are not allowed to waive fees - complaints/HQ people can. I just wish these guys 1) wouldn't change planes and 2) if they HAVE to, have a clear policy for customers to get sorted by the first person they speak to - as advised on the paperwork.

you will get sorted tho

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsFlorida
Trying for More Ears

Have now also sent an email. I tried the complaints telephone number but there is something wrong with that too as if you select option 2 it gives you advice on data then cuts off! Can't believe they want extra money even though its the same privilege no matter which flight you are on. I realise that it costs a different amount on different flights for premium but as they are the ones making the change then surely they should just change like for like. We booked extremely early as we had found a good price for premium and went for it. The flight prices have changed dramatically in the last month. It is not our fault that the premium price is now much higher and we should not have to pay the difference. Thank you Papamouse and all dibbers for your sound advice. Will keep trying to find someone who is empowered! Shelle let us know how you get on.
MrsFlorida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Have now also sent an email. I tried the complaints telephone number but there is something wrong with that too as if you select option 2 it gives you advice on data then cuts off! Can't believe they want extra money even though its the same privilege no matter which flight you are on. I realise that it costs a different amount on different flights for premium but as they are the ones making the change then surely they should just change like for like. We booked extremely early as we had found a good price for premium and went for it. The flight prices have changed dramatically in the last month. It is not our fault that the premium price is now much higher and we should not have to pay the difference. Thank you Papamouse and all dibbers for your sound advice. Will keep trying to find someone who is empowered! Shelle let us know how you get on.
I agree on all accounts MrsFlorida. Hopefully we'll get it sorted to our satisfaction soon.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 17, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by shelle View Post

It sounds as if one area of the business can transfer flights at no cost, but other areas are unable to do so. I got through on Wednesday using the phone number given on the email and got our flights transferred. I tried on Thursday to get through on the same number and kept getting through to a different area of the business. I had tried the normal service number on Wednesday, but they were unable to help at all.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List