Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Jun 17, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Sorry to hear about your family issues.

I would phone an adviser and tell them what the situation is and get them to help problem solve it with you.

Hope it works out.

Thanks, I did try that but they just said if I bought extra seats and nobody checked in the seats could be allocated they weren't very helpful and didn't have any other suggestions x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

I wouldn't risk a window and an aisle seat, I would feel safer booking an aisle & middle and have your other half sitting next to the stranger.

Alternatively, if its not a full flight, you could enquire at the check in desk, if there is any chance of 3 seats between the 2 of you.

I had a horrendous experience on a long haul flight to Australia next to a stranger, and since then I am very wary, and usually my best mate has the middle seat now, and I have the aisle!
If I fly by myself, I usually ask at check in for an aisle seat, and ask if there is any chance they can block the middle seat out, so no one else sits in it. I've never been refused yet, although the flights have not always been full so I understand it can't always happen, but if you don't ask, you don't get.
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
QueenElsa
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I'm not familiar with Dreamliner but most aircrafts have rows of 2 towards the back as the plane gets smaller, or in premium economy as the seats are bigger.

Have you looked on seat guru website to check the full configuration of your flight ?
QueenElsa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by QueenElsa View Post
I'm not familiar with Dreamliner but most aircrafts have rows of 2 towards the back as the plane gets smaller, or in premium economy as the seats are bigger.

Have you looked on seat guru website to check the full configuration of your flight ?
Hi there

There are 2 rows of 2 at the very back of the plane but they've already been taken. They are also right next to 3 lots of toilets so there are people hanging about in that area all the time.
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

As you were willing to pay for empty seats how about take 2 extra people from your extended family (assuming they don't compromise your daughters condition)?

They could then pay for their accomodation only, keep the seats occupied and they would have a relatively cheap holiday.
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Fiona35
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by TinkGlasgow View Post
Thanks, I did try that but they just said if I bought extra seats and nobody checked in the seats could be allocated they weren't very helpful and didn't have any other suggestions x
Okay, I don't have experience of buying extra seats, but I have had a lot of experience of asking at the check in desk, for the seat next to me to be blocked out, and I give the reasons why.

I've been very fortunate that this has been done at the check in desk, they just put a block on anyone else sitting at that seat, and no other check in person can use that seat for an allocation.

I get that it might not happen on a full flight, but so far, when flying solo, they have granted me this request. There is usually a stranger sitting at the window, no one in the middle seat, and I'm sat in the aisle.

For ref, BA, Easyjet & Ryanair have been able to do this for me.

Maybe you could ring again, and say that you know seats can be blocked out at check in, and is this something they would consider?
Fiona35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
QueenElsa
Excited about Disney

Oh I never thought of that. Have you explained your issue to Thomson - perhaps with supporting medical evidence they can find a compromise for you

I can't even begin to understand how difficult it must be for you to plan things like this but I really hope you find a solution that works for you xx
QueenElsa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
As you were willing to pay for empty seats how about take 2 extra people from your extended family (assuming they don't compromise your daughters condition)?

They could then pay for their accomodation only, keep the seats occupied and they would have a relatively cheap holiday.
I tried that but my parents and in-laws now feel that it's too much for them. They've been on the trip with us every year for last 12 years.

I don't have a big family so even with tempting them with a free flight there's not really anyone I could ask. I invited another friend of my daughter's and offered to pay her flight and put her up in our Villa which has plenty of room but her parents felt the tickets were too expensive when I quoted around £570 for the Disney and Universal Combos.

Yes I've submitted medical evidence and also had to obtain a Fitness to Fly Cert due to her medical condition being on the list they require a certificate for x

Edited at 04:01 PM.
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

There are three of us travelling which seems to be good now a days but on our flight I would say 2/3 of the triples have gone and most of them have been aisle and window, I don't know about your flight as it's a charter but all schedules overbook and I bet every one of those seats will go so all the people that have booked these will have a stranger in the middle who they will ask to move most will but some won't. Imho this tactic only works on quiet routes which is hardly ever an Orlando route.

I don't mean to be an ≈≈≈≈ but this is clearly very important to you why did you continue to book when PE was not available where you have a solution ?
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by QueenElsa View Post
Oh I never thought of that. Have you explained your issue to Thomson - perhaps with supporting medical evidence they can find a compromise for you

I can't even begin to understand how difficult it must be for you to plan things like this but I really hope you find a solution that works for you xx
Thanks it's just quite stressful because usually there are 7 of us on the trip as both sets of Grandparents come so we can form a protective circle around her.

There's nothing strikes fear into my heart like the sound of someone with a hacking cough close to us on a plane