Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 5 Jan 18, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mooray27
Excited about Disney

Always, always, always have good travel insurance!

I’m a believer that if it can go wrong, it will go wrong so paid £85 for gold level travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions coverage for our family of 4. Boy am I glad!

I had pneumonia when we went to Florida in October. It ruined the holiday unfortunately. Ive just come off the phone to the insurance company for an update because if they don’t pay within a set time frame it’s charged to our credit card bill automatically. I’m glad to say it’s nearly all sorted now and I won’t be a penny worse off for the experience.

I had 2 clinic visits and one night in hospital , as well as out of pocket expenses for medicines that have been reimbursed. Total cost... , almost $22,000!

Thank god for insurance. Please everyone make sure you are sorted. Bad enough being ill without also being bankrupt.
mooray27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
If insurance companies can escape from paying they will!

Father in law had a heart attack on a cruise, we'd took the insurance out for him, he was airlifted by life flight to Lisbon where he made a mini recovery before suffering another fatal attack.

My wife flew out to Lisbon with a friend and booked and i'd booked a hotel for them.

Insurance were contacted straight away, told us they'd cover cost of flight and hotel for wife, when wife contacted them to tell them of her fathers death the phone operator told her this and that and at the end asked if we owned our own home because the costs may be very high, this really unsettled her more and when she arrived home i set to work on the insurance company because it seemed clear due to costs being astronomical they were looking for a get out.

Ended up having the phone conversation sent to me in text via email, it didnt include the part my wife said she was asked, so i asked for the audio file. Only when i threatened them with legal action and my own costs did they start to shift.

In the end they tried to escape through a known knee injury, by known because he went to the doctor for a sore knee they claimed it was known and not mentioned on the policy making it void. All in all it was well over £300,000 overall, finally after a little to and fro where i gave up any recompense for days holiday missed after the heart attack they accepted to cover every other cost.

I'd read their terms and conditions countless times over that period of the claim and its mental whats in there. In this day and age we shouldnt have to read 20+ small text details but sadly due to a lot of fraud... we do.
Old 5 Jan 18, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mooray27
Excited about Disney

Oh how awful for you😢. Don’t get me wrong. My insurance company have been driving me crackers, both in the states and since coming home. And they can definitely be as slippery as an eel. I didn’t even bother claiming for holiday days lost, felt like it was too much hassle. I’m just relieved not to have a massive bill.
mooray27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
A very salutory post that brought it all back to me. $100.000 for my Sons operation and all ancillary costs back a good few years now. God love Celebration Hospital - awesome place.

Thank goodness the whole thing cost me the £50 excess only.

However for 48 hours your mind is in overdrive. Will they pay? Am I fully covered etc etc.

What focusses you is when you see the itemised hospital bill
2 x Tylenol $28
Patient requested extra dessert for lunch - 1 Jello supplied $25.

And it goes on and on.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 07:54 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

This is why having an NHS rocks. Glad the OP got it sorted.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post

6 hours in Celebration Hospital cost me $10,000. Really bad stomach bug but it I felt so ill, I thought I could die. They were fantastic... but $10,000?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Can't fault our insurance on our last trip 2 years ago. It cost $1000 for my DD5 to have Chickenpox 😮. The insurance company phoned or emailed every day to see how she was. On return from holiday we sent off our receipts and by return of post they paid out minus £50 excess. I appreciate this is small fish for them, but they were great to deal with.

Good luck with your claim and hope you're fully recovered xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Powlay View Post
If insurance companies can escape from paying they will!

Father in law had a heart attack on a cruise, we'd took the insurance out for him, he was airlifted by life flight to Lisbon where he made a mini recovery before suffering another fatal attack.

My wife flew out to Lisbon with a friend and booked and i'd booked a hotel for them.

Insurance were contacted straight away, told us they'd cover cost of flight and hotel for wife, when wife contacted them to tell them of her fathers death the phone operator told her this and that and at the end asked if we owned our own home because the costs may be very high, this really unsettled her more and when she arrived home i set to work on the insurance company because it seemed clear due to costs being astronomical they were looking for a get out.

Ended up having the phone conversation sent to me in text via email, it didnt include the part my wife said she was asked, so i asked for the audio file. Only when i threatened them with legal action and my own costs did they start to shift.

In the end they tried to escape through a known knee injury, by known because he went to the doctor for a sore knee they claimed it was known and not mentioned on the policy making it void. All in all it was well over £300,000 overall, finally after a little to and fro where i gave up any recompense for days holiday missed after the heart attack they accepted to cover every other cost.

I'd read their terms and conditions countless times over that period of the claim and its mental whats in there. In this day and age we shouldnt have to read 20+ small text details but sadly due to a lot of fraud... we do.
Which company was this? It’s quite shameful they omitted the part from the telephone conversation asking about the house
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Button17 View Post
Can't fault our insurance on our last trip 2 years ago. It cost $1000 for my DD5 to have Chickenpox 😮. The insurance company phoned or emailed every day to see how she was. On return from holiday we sent off our receipts and by return of post they paid out minus £50 excess. I appreciate this is small fish for them, but they were great to deal with.

Good luck with your claim and hope you're fully recovered xx
can you say who it was? I don't know how else to choose other than on the basis of peoples' experiences
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Mobile

Those who had good experiences, do you mind sharing who you were insured with?

We see lots of posts asking about cheap insurance and who is best etc, the reality with insurers is no one knows how good they are until they have to claim.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List