Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Mar 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Firstly, what a stressful situation for you. Personally, I would get the ball rolling for a visa application quickly. Your SIL’s criminal record is ambiguous at best and the worrying of whether or not he will be granted entry into the USA is going to spoil the build up for the holiday for all of you. I wish you all the best and hope that whatever route you choose works out well for you x
DisneyStacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Little offences?

So discounting whether he did them or not as he has been convicted each time, he has three pretty serious offences against his name, we aren't talking about someone who made one silly mistake this person is a serial offender.

ABH, Theft of car and perjury/interfering with justice.

I would say this is exactly the type of scenario that a VISA is applicable for.

In all this I'm not casting a judgement on the person, I'm looking at the facts (as we have been given them) and interpreting them the way a homeland protection officer might.

Good luck to the OP on getting to Orlando, but I think you will require a visit to the embassy and a visa
Totally agree - these are not small offences. Puy your self in the victims position.
To me ABH on its own would suggest "serious". Stealing a car would class as property damage.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
So you don’t know, just scaremongering?
No, not scare mongering, it was a link that stated how ESTA's are done but as it wasn't the official Esta site, I take it a mod removed it. A simple google will bring up the answers

Edited at 07:04 PM.
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Sad state of affairs when so many people on this thread are passing away a "few kicks and punches in a pub " as if its nothing.

For many people having something happen like that to them can cause serious mental harm if not physical.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Can we just remember this guy was 17 when the ABH charge came up - i don't think anyone is belittling the crime but more the fact that at 17 you are still pretty immature and do stupid things that you wouldn't dream of doing as an adult - this is 12 years ago, when he was a teenager. (and the second offence was at 18 - 11 years ago)

Im sorry but saying he was a serial offender is ridiculous, and from what i see from the third offence is that he was trying to protect someone (perhaps a silly thing to do) rather than evade the law.

Im not saying that he shouldn't go down the visa route - but in my opinion some of the judgments made about this guy seem to be a little OTT

Edited at 04:51 PM.
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
Sad state of affairs when so many people on this thread are passing away a "few kicks and punches in a pub " as if its nothing.
They're not and I'm not, but what are we are saying is that there is a huge difference between a drunken pub punch up and actively leaving the house with the intent of causing serious harm to another person. I have no time for violence but at the same time I'm not living on cloud cuckoo land and realise these things do happen. The law is built on different sentences for different crimes coupled with the severity of each crime. It doesn't matter what your, mine or anyone else's personal opinion is on the matter as it's the law. Equally, the ESTA question is quite clear and has been repeatedly advised throughout this thread that the person in question could honestly and legally answer 'no' providing the victims injuries from the original charge were not serious. Considering he had no real punishment, it suggests the injuries weren't that serious in the eyes of the law - and that is all that matters.
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lisa12000___ View Post
Can we just remember this guy was 17 when the ABH charge came up - i don't think anyone is belittling the crime but more the fact that at 17 you are still pretty immature and do stupid things that you wouldn't dream of doing as an adult - this is 12 years ago, when he was a teenager. (and the second offence was at 18 - 11 years ago)

Im sorry but saying he was a serial offender is ridiculous, and from what i see from the third offence is that he was trying to protect someone (perhaps a silly thing to do) rather than evade the law.

Im not saying that he shouldn't go down the visa route - but in my opinion some of the judgments made about this guy seem to be a little OTT
I totally agree. Especially when so many other threads complain about people doing the most trivial of things.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Daisy-Mai View Post
SIL's has been declined as I had to press yes on the arrest question
I've just read the OP again, if you filled it out on his behalf and then do it again with a 'no' which later causes problems, will it have implications for you in the future? At the moment you have done nothing wrong as you answered honestly , but it may be a good time to step away and let him sort it out for himself.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I would feel happier (in the long run) knowing that I've told the truth even though its going to be stressful waiting for the visa to get sorted.
If he is rejected (which would be a shame), then you know you answered correctly, and it can't backfire on you.
If he's granted a visa, then at least you can all go knowing he won't get stopped at the last minute as happened recently.
I think you did the right thing.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Plato
Serious Dibber

The advice from the US Embassy is that if you have ever been arrested or convicted for any reason in any country, even if the arrest did not lead to a conviction, you should answer ‘yes’ to this question. The only exception would be an arrest for a minor motoring offence that resulted in a fixed penalty notice or other out of court disposal.
Plato is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List