Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 8 May 18, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jessandjon2005
Apprentice Imagineer

Disabilites and Theme Parks

Hi all, never asked this question before, but does anyone know what the score is with Theme Parks such as Universal, Disney and SeaWorld regarding a disability?

The reason I ask is this year my partner developed a disability and has joint/bone problems with severe rheumatoid arthritis and cant stand up for long periods of time, so wandering if assistance will be provided?

I have heard a rumour that you don't have to prove it in the US and you literally go to guest services, or does my partner have to bring something with her please?

The reason i ask is because my uncle went a few years ago and is completely deaf with a hearing impairment, but because of personal issues we don't get on very well so I cant really ask him, but I was under the understanding that something was done.

Do Disney give you any extra privileges? i.e fast passes or wheelchairs free of charge to make your trip more pleasurable?

As I say, this is something that has never been an issue before, so we don't know what to do/how to do it/what options are available to us?

All help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
jessandjon2005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If the issue can be resolved by use of a wheelchair that is what guest services will recommend. Most of the queues are wheelchair friendly so no other accommodation would be needed. i.e. no other privileges.

Wheelchairs aren't free and can be hired on site or (cheaper) offsite.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
jessandjon2005
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
If the issue can be resolved by use of a wheelchair that is what guest services will recommend. Most of the queues are wheelchair friendly so no other accommodation would be needed. i.e. no other privileges.

Wheelchairs aren't free and can be hired on site or (cheaper) offsite.
Really? Not free.

That's bad isn't it?

So basically if you have a disability then Disney take advantage of that fact and charge you for that?

That's disgusting.
jessandjon2005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jessandjon2005 View Post
Really? Not free.

That's bad isn't it?

So basically if you have a disability then Disney take advantage of that fact and charge you for that?

That's disgusting.
No Disney would only be taking advantage if they forced you to hire a wheelchair. If you have a disability which requires a wheelchair to better enjoy Disney, then they allow you to bring your own, bring a hired one or as with their buggies for children to hire one. The hiring is an optional service. Believe me if you need a wheelchair then rent elsewhere as the Disney ones from experience are heavy to push and cumbersome to steer and that was even though my late Dad was not heavy.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Really? Not free.

That's bad isn't it?

That's disgusting.
Many people hire mobility scooters , don’t forget to update your insurance company if it’s a recent diagnosis. Nothing comes for free on the USA , not even a hospital wheelchair ( it’s itemised on your bill!)
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 18, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Disney do a DAS pass, whilst it doesn't get you to the front of the queue it does work like a virtual queueing system. Unfortunately nothing in the US is free as far as wheelchairs etc.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Disney do a DAS pass, whilst it doesn't get you to the front of the queue it does work like a virtual queueing system. Unfortunately nothing in the US is free as far as wheelchairs etc.
SD
If it’s only a mobility issue ie using a wheelchair you do not get the DAS card unless there is another issue such as a hidden disability.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

There are free wheelchairs but only to get you from disabled parking to where you can hire one for the day at the park entrances. However you have to walk a fair way and there is no guarantee one will be waiting.

If you will need one everyday and possibly outside the parks, hiring one from a outside company is much cheaper. I am not sure where you get free wheelchairs other than supermarkets in the UK but we had to borrow one from the British Red Cross (for a donation) as my daughter couldn't even get one on the NHS. We then bought one online for less than 200GBP. As airlines carry them for free and it might be very handy at the airport and for days out at home this might be an idea for you.

The good news is that Florida is very disabled accessible and you will have no problems getting around the parks or elsewhere.
Old 9 May 18, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Do Disney give you any extra privileges? i.e fast passes
The answer to the above is no, Disney does not provide extra privileges, such as additional fastpasses, to disabled people. They do have the DAS but that's not quite the same as extra fastpasses. You won't get on the rides any quicker but it does mean you don't have to physically wait in the line. As already mentioned, I don't think the DAS applies if you "only" have a mobility issue - Disney's website says, "A Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS". However check with Guest Services.

There's more information for people with disabilities here:

Main page: disneyworld.disney.go/en...-disabilities/
FAQ: disneyworld.disney.go/en...-disabilities/

Disney does a lot for people with disabilities, however providing free wheelchairs isn't one of them. It does at least provide the option to rent a wheelchair - many other places don't even provide this.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:56 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 18, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
The answer to the above is no, Disney does not provide extra privileges, such as additional fastpasses, to disabled people. They do have the DAS but that's not quite the same as extra fastpasses. You won't get on the rides any quicker but it does mean you don't have to physically wait in the line. As already mentioned, I don't think the DAS applies if you "only" have a mobility issue - Disney's website says, "A Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS". However check with Guest Services.

There's more information for people with disabilities here:

Main page: disneyworld.disney.go/en...-disabilities/
FAQ: disneyworld.disney.go/en...-disabilities/

Disney does a lot for people with disabilities, however providing free wheelchairs isn't one of them. It does at least provide the option to rent a wheelchair - many other places don't even provide this.
Those links are very useful and clear. I thought wheelchair hire was actually more expensive than it is. $12 a day or $10 for prepaid multi days sounds quite reasonable if anyone doesn't want to hire elsewhere. If they were free I am sure there would be a lot fewer available for those who rely on them.

Edited at 05:56 PM.
DonnaD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List