Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Aug 16, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Kestrel029
Apprentice Imagineer

Kestrel029's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lynda View Post
I find it very reassuring when we get frequent announcements from the pilots( when I can hear them that is)
Received Pronunciation

Clear and distinct at all times with a neutral tone.

That's never going to happen.

I am a First Officer with a large Airline frequently flying to the USA.
I am type rated for the Airbus A330 aircraft and I can answer any operational, flight, aviation queries you may have.
I can't answer questions about your seat allocation, IFE, in flight meals etc.
Kestrel029 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 16, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Kestrel029
Apprentice Imagineer

Kestrel029's Reviews
Some great terminal approach names as we fly into Orlando international ..

MINEE FIVE
GOOFY SIX
BUGGZ TWO
PIGLT FOUR

I am type rated for the Airbus A330 aircraft and I can answer any operational, flight, aviation queries you may have.
Kestrel029 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 16, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Kestrel029
Apprentice Imagineer

Kestrel029's Reviews
I pasting this from my other thread, as bar far it seems that turbulence is the most asked question I get on these forums.

Question I get most asked..

Turbulence

What is turbulence?

Turbulence is when the normal flow of air around the aircraft is disrupted. There are several phenomena that cause turbulence, but mainly we can avoid these (such as wake turbulence and weather / pressure turbulence). What passengers normally feel is "Clear Air Turbulence" which is undetectable on our radars.

There is no danger to an aircraft from any turbulence, we don't fly into these storms which is normally associated with heavy turbulence. We avoid them, to keep you comfortable. But rest assured, a modern airplane can fly into turbulence, be buffeted around, without consequence. Passengers don't like it because it is uncomfortable and unnerving. Sit down, put your seat belt on, no problem.

To quote from a company source;

"Air is good. It is always there. It has energy and potency in it. Aircraft stay up because of the air passing over the wing. The engines give the aircraft thrust, but they don't keep the aircraft up there once it's flying. The wings with the air passing over them do that. Aircraft are just like big gliders using the air to their advantage"

So when you get a pocket of air that has a "ripple" or a "wobble" in it, that is when you get the bumps associated with turbulence.

There is no danger to the aircraft during turbulence they are designed to withstand very high loads during any flight.

As for falling 400 feet? That's Hollywood for you!

Most turbulence will bump the plane a little, any drops you encounter will be as little as 10 or 20 feet, up to 50 at the very most. It is extrememly rare to cause any significant loss of altitude. If we are entering an area of CAT (Clear Air Turbulence) which cannot be identified by radar, we slow the aircraft down to turbulent air penetration speed. This provides the maximum protection against damage, or loss of lift due to slow speeds. The autopilot will normally fly the plane through this anyway, as it can change and react to bumps quicker than a human can. We're just there to keep an eye on it!

When you "drop" in a plane, you're body is actually reacting to a change in G forces, and not actually dropping. it's similar to the effect felt shortly after takeoff when we reduce the throttles. Some people ask me why the plane drops, it doesn't your just feeling the difference in G forces as we slow the acceleration. It's the same for turbulence.

After a bump, there may be a "wave" we coast along, and change altitude by 100 or 200 feet at the very very most, but it's minor, and you probably wouldn't notice it. Certainly not dropping anyway!

Hope this answers some questions regarding turbulence.

Old 19 Aug 16, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cantcook
Imagineer

Mobile

How long will it take to refit each A330 and how long will the whole process take?

Thanks!
Cantcook is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 16, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Kestrel029
Apprentice Imagineer

Kestrel029's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cantcook View Post
How long will it take to refit each A330 and how long will the whole process take?

Thanks!
Depends what refit is happening, few day for a minor upgrade, or a few weeks for a rehaul and repaint.

Edited at 07:34 PM.
Old 25 Aug 16, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Kestrel029 View Post
Depends what refit is happening.
I guess cantcook is referring to the up and coming refit due to start in October.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 16, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Kestrel029
Apprentice Imagineer

Kestrel029's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cabbie View Post
I guess cantcook is referring to the up and coming refit due to start in October.

-Steve
Ah that's only a UC refit, shouldn't take too long.

Unless the company is called Bodgitt and Scarper (again)

Old 26 Aug 16, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We flew out last week and had about 20 minutes of turbulence from Manchester. The pilots were great and advised afew moments before that the seatbelt lights were comming on and there was nothing to panic about. I'm not a great flyer in turbulence, watching the cabin storage doors shake about was unnerving, but you have to keep in your mind that it's perfectly safe! Sit back in your seat, breath and put some music on!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 16, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
lossieglen
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Why at times does there appear to be three pilots on board and at other times just two. Are they all pilots?
lossieglen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 16, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Kestrel029
Apprentice Imagineer

Kestrel029's Reviews
Originally Posted by Aanix99 View Post
We flew out last week and had about 20 minutes of turbulence from Manchester. The pilots were great and advised afew moments before that the seatbelt lights were comming on and there was nothing to panic about. I'm not a great flyer in turbulence, watching the cabin storage doors shake about was unnerving, but you have to keep in your mind that it's perfectly safe! Sit back in your seat, breath and put some music on!
And it could spill our coffee!