Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 9 May 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
janineo
Trainee Dibber

Channel Crossing - seasickness

I've just booked Villages Natures Paris for the October half term (28th Oct -1st Nov), for myself, hubby and two daughters (5 & 7).

It's been over ten years since I've visited DLP (with my sister) and we used Eurostar on that occasion.

This time we're taking the car, and trying to decide the best way to cross the Channel.
I'm leaning towards EuroTunnel, because I get seasick.
But it's significantly more expensive - £40 more for a return trip at the moment.

The ferry will also provide a longer break in the journey - we live about 2hrs drive away from Folkestone/Dover. My children will also enjoy it more, as there will be more space to move around, and things to see.

So, is there anything I can do to help with the seasickness? Or do I pay the extra for the eurotunnel? Do they ever have deals or sales?

Thanks,
Janine

Edited at 11:53 AM.
janineo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post

We always used to take the train - but lately it seems to be much more expensive so we often go by ferry instead. As you say the longer crossing can actually be a much needed rest for the driver and you can also use the time to grab some food meaning you don't have to stop elsewhere on the journey.

From what I have found they don't seem to have many offer or sales on the Eurotunnel these days. I suffer from seasickness - I just make sure I take a couple of tablets before the journey and haven't had any issues thank goodness!

We find that DFDS are often cheaper then P&O, not always though so worth pricing up both.

Hope that helps.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
janineo
Trainee Dibber

Thanks for the quick reply!

What tablets do you use for seasickness? I've never taken anything before, just suffered through it.
janineo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by janineo View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

What tablets do you use for seasickness? I've never taken anything before, just suffered through it.
No worries, I take these:

boots/stugeron-15-tablets

I am sure there are others but these have always worked for me and I wouldn't risk switching now I have found ones that work!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by janineo View Post
I've just booked Villages Natures Paris for the October half term (28th Oct -1st Nov), for myself, hubby and two daughters (5 & 7).

It's been over ten years since I've visited DLP (with my sister) and we used Eurostar on that occasion.

This time we're taking the car, and trying to decide the best way to cross the Channel.
I'm leaning towards EuroTunnel, because I get seasick.
But it's significantly more expensive - £40 more for a return trip at the moment.

The ferry will also provide a longer break in the journey - we live about 2hrs drive away from Folkestone/Dover. My children will also enjoy it more, as there will be more space to move around, and things to see.

So, is there anything I can do to help with the seasickness? Or do I pay the extra for the eurotunnel? Do they ever have deals or sales?

Thanks,
Janine
Do you have any Tesco clubcard points? We’ve used the ferry and the train, but we prefer the quicker train journey (we just walk up and down the train to stretch our legs.) It’s cheaper for us to use our Tesco vouchers for the train - we’ve always paid for the entire journey with vouchers, as we never use them for anything else. (In fact, I’ve just realised that I’ve probably just let some unused points expire since it’s nearly a year since our last trip! I really should look at using them for other things!)
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
janineo
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
Do you have any Tesco clubcard points?
I do have some, but not many - we do most of our shopping at Aldi.
I'll have a look and see how many we've got, and whether it'll make much difference.

Thanks!
Old 10 May 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

I use Sea Bands, bought from Boots for seasickness. They are pressure bands, work a treat for me. I use a child size as I have small wrists, they should be tight fitting to work.
I found the tablets sent me to sleep, not much good when you need to drive or navigate the other end!
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

My mum gets sea sick she was really bad once on the isles of scilly ferry but it's not a great boat and it was really rough. Dear old Dad 26yrs in the Navy thought it would be a good Anniversary trip!. For the way back she had tablets and a wrist band. Dad also tried to keep her midship on a lower level as youll feel the motion less in that area. I'm hope it will be all okay for you😊
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

Another tip, sit as far back and as low down (lower deck) as you can, the movement will be reduced to that of a higher deck nearer the front.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Love Euro tunnel because DD gets seasick. Always bought the tickets using Tesco points.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List