Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 5 Feb 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
new1322
New Poster (2)

Ambrosia Custard !

We are flying to Orlando from Gatwick at the end of May with Virgin. I will be taking all my family (5 of us) for three weeks and staying in a villa in the Davenport area. My eldest son who is 27 has a type of cerebral palsy which means he has no speech and is unable to eat any solid foods. His diet is made up of milkshakes and Ambrosia custard. He will eat 3x750ml cartons of the custard most days (will not eat the custard made from powder). So to my problem, does anyone know if it is possible to buy custard in the orlando area ? do any of the big supermarkets have european sections ? or am I going to have to take 45 kilos of custard with me !
Virgin have told me that it will not be a problem taking a couple of cartons on the journey (as far as they are concerned) so that he has something to eat onboard, but what are the chances of getting them through security ?
Any help or advice much appreciated
new1322 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
johnb
Imagineer

I have never seen Ambrosia in the US, but you can definitely buy custard. Although it is known as "vanilla pudding" over there.
Some popular brands are Jell-o, Dr Oetker and Kozy Shack.

If getting some past security is a problem at Gatwick, maybe you could pick some up after security by ordering in advance?

Edited at 06:49 PM.
johnb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

if you search Custard on the walmart website it shows multipacks of Ambrosia custard tins and lots of others. There are also lots of custard types under 'Vanilla pudding'
Mariesmith is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

You can get custard in the British aisle at Walmart or Publix
As you are in Davenport and yes I inow it's a huge area you could try the Proper Pie Shop on the 27 they sell British goods I'll see if I can find an email or phone number for them if you like so you can check
Helen
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby29
Imagineer

I guess they might have some in boots at the airport after security? To help you for the flight.
Old 5 Feb 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

It looks as though Walmart has it sometimes although the link shows it out of stock at the moment

walmart/ip/Ambrosia-...of-12/35176744

or you could order it from Amazon.com

amazon/s?k=ambrosia+...nb_sb_ss_i_1_6

Edited at 07:49 PM.
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
thefourDs
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

If I was you I’d try to get some ordered online to collect when you get there. Is there a personal shopper you could have it delivered to? At least then you know that it’s all arranged in advance saving you the worry of not knowing if you’ll be able to buy it once there. I’d definitely take some as back up in my main luggage too just in case.

I hope you find a solution.
thefourDs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

They do have the tins in Publix. However there is not usually very much in stock. Probably no more than 6 tins. I would definitely use Angelbabes personal shopping service so you could order some in advance for delivery to her.

The vanilla pudding referred to above is not the same. It tends to be thicker I'm my experience.
Old 10 Feb 20, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Maybe if they don’t stick much it’s worth e mailing a personal shopper well in advance and explaining your situation. That would give them chance to build up a stock for you as they shop over the weeks.