Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 May 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

[QUOTE=metalguru;13853654]
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I I agree not everyone can get a credit card but I am puzzling over your claim that not everyone can get a savings account, not come across that, other than if there are money laundering concerns of course.

I said a nice savings account, one with higher interest. Which is normally based on your credit score. So not open to all. Maybe I wasn't clear.
“ Nice” escape on that one
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I am sorry but paying for a holiday by direct debit seems utter madness what possible benefit is there ?

You don’t gain interest on your money and unless part was paid by credit card you have no s35 protection and if you want to cancel this far usually they would only Be holding your deposit.

Far better to set up savings account pay to that monthly and then pay by credit card and clear from savings account you may also get cash back or miles. Seems like pure stupidity to me.
I've booked my hotel and tickets with Disney direct and pay in instalments as my credit card limit is too low to pay it all in one go. And why does it matter to you how people pay for their holidays?

Edited at 02:43 PM.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bennyboy0751 View Post
im sorry to argue with you but it was i who was talking to the person not you my son is a top manager with spanish tui he has mates in thompson he phoned us from gran canaria as he lives their and told us to cancel booking also go to financila timess today they say thomas cook shares are now actually worthless and give it a couple of months at best sorry but i dont lie or scaremonger thankyou very much but you keep your head in the sand because i have a duty as a dibber to tell people who are booked with thomas cook they are in trouble real trouble
Seriously rep gossip from abroad is hardly an insider source !
I've had the misfortune to have worked for a tour operator when they went under . Staff at Cooks below board level will be as uninformed as the rest of us and will have been told to parrot the "business as usual " line regardless. So not only are they dealing with worrying about their own jobs but customers asking and competitors spreading gossip as "fact" like the TUI staff are.
In the meantime Cooks will be seeking investment injection which is kept very quiet and not discussed with the ordinary staff whilst negotiations are ongoing.
(Incidently TUI and Thomson (no p) are the same company the Thomson brand was renamed TUI so it'd be a bit like me having "insider info" about Virgin Media when I work for Sky. Industry gossip ... yes ... fact no ! )

Edited at 02:40 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

We've been into TC today, more to ask about our payment card and quite a few people in there booking holidays. The rep we spoke to said for some reason they seem to be making an example out of TC this year, every year after the winter season sales are down and are often at a loss but picks up over spring and summer. We were also told they are not the only travel agent in trouble. Media can scare monger and reps can say things in order to try and reassure but we won't know what happens until it happens. If people are cancelling them this will mean they lose more money but you can understand people worrying about their money. It's an individuals choice as to what they do, how they pay for things and should not be told they are being daft/stupid for doing what they are doing. Everyone has their way of doing things. We are individuals and don't have to agree, advice can be given but doesn't have to be followed. I admit I am worried but will face what happens when it does.

Edited at 03:23 PM.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Stretch
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Well we bought 7 flight only tickets last year to fly in August 2019. Payed on debit card
That’s us screwed if they go under
Hope somebody buys the airline asap
Stretch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think everyone is struggling this year, the confusion over Brexit in general and passports in particular has definitely contributed. No one is having a good time of it

Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
We've been into TC today, more to ask about our payment card and quite a few people in there booking holidays. The rep we spoke to said for some reason they seem to be making an example out of TC this year, every year after the winter season sales are down and are often at a loss but picks up over spring and summer. We were also told they are not the only travel agent in trouble. Media can scare monger and reps can say things in order to try and reassure but we won't know what happens until it happens. If people are cancelling them this will mean they lose more money but you can understand people worrying about their money. It's an individuals choice as to what they do, how they pay for things and should not be told they are being daft/stupid for doing what they are doing. Everyone has their way of doing things. We are individuals and don't have to agree, advice can be given but doesn't have to be followed. I admit I am worried but will face what happens when it does.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
Post of the day!
Old 19 May 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

I have insurance and paid on credit card... will be no problem getting a refund and you can always get a seat on a alternative flight. See no point in worrying.

Edited at 03:40 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I think the issue for many is not getting a refund on flights, but getting replacement flights at short notice for a similar cost. I’d expect that to be hard, so if I had booked with TC I’d consider cancelling and rebooking elsewhere now.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Jillzo
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Well we bought 7 flight only tickets last year to fly in August 2019. Payed on debit card
That’s us screwed if they go under
Hope somebody buys the airline asap
Not necessarily! Your holiday insurance may cover it? Simon Calder has done a q&a in The Independent today regarding Thomas Cook, maybe worth a read!? Im going with TC package holiday in September, paying by DD, which is due to finish next month. Until I hear otherwise its full steam ahead and continue the holiday planning!
Jillzo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List