jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We did New York! and Loved it! Day Four

Day four
Sunday

Slightly better nights sleep but still up really early. Had our skype with the men then decided to stick with the hotel for breakfast. It is expensive but really nice so we are on vacation so blow the expense!
After breakfast we exchanged our Duck vouchers and walked towards Broadway. We were a bit early so we went into m & ms Had great fun here and got a few souvenirs.

Managed to fill our bags with a various selection of coloured m & ms and also a few bits and bobs.

Then we got on the duck.

Experience the first land & water tour in New York City! Start in the world famous Times Square and navigate the streets of Manhattan to the waters of the Hudson River aboard our amphibious vehicle!

They had someone dressed up in a duck costume to try and attract business. We had a bit of fun with him. The kids loved him.

This is a tour which goes part on the road and part on the river. We had a fab guide and we were the only two on there for this trip so he sat next to us and was so informative. The weather was great – not too cold unless we were straight in the wind. It was lovely.

Saw the Christmas windows at Macys

We went round some of the streets then into the water. The little film part about the river wasn’t working due to a computer glitch so we got a bit more time in the water.

He took us right up to Concorde and then on the way back to land we saw some canooists in the river. I felt they were really brave on such a cold day.

The Duck made its way back towards Times Square and we both decided it was great fun and worth doing.

Clarion Inn formerly Comfort Inn LBV twice a year since 1991
jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
We then set off to walk to Grand Central Station as it was a lovely day. We saw loads of fire engines around Toys R us. Some sort of private event the sign said.

We then walked along 42nd street stopping off in Bryant Park where they had some Christmas market stalls.

We had a look round but most of the stuff was very expensive. Not quite the same atmosphere as the German markets. There was a lovely ice rink there and it was about to open but we didn’t stop to have a go – It would have taken us all day to get round one lap! I remember a few years ago when Barbara and I were in Düsseldorf we tried it, it was so funny as neither of us had any sense of balance!
Before we knew it we were at Grand Central Station, catching some great views of the Chrysler building on the way.

The station was a lovely building

We had a look round and then as it was a lovely day we walked back towards Times Square rather than venture onto the subway.

jeanwales is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
jeanwales
Imagineer

jeanwales's Reviews
Girls! Guess who we saw! Yes the Naked Cowboy! I got quite excited and took quite a few photos.

Fascinated us that he was stood there on a freezing day when everyone had coats hats and gloves on and there he was with next to nothing on! We decided he must make a heck of a living as ladies were feeding money into his guitar like nobodys business.

We stopped off at Roxys as the only other thing we had left to do in New York on our list was have some cheesecake.

What a size it was when it came. Barbara had the banana and I had the raspberry and white chocolate one.

This is the corned beef sandwich that the people next to us ate!

We walked back towards the hotel via a couple of touristy souvenir shops before having a rest in our room so that we would have the stamina for the evening!

We relaxed for a while then set off towards Broadway and went to Ellens Stardust to eat. This is a fantastic restaurant where the servers sing non stop songs and generally have fun.

The food is not haute cuisine but it is great fun.

We had plenty of time so relaxed while we ate our soup, salad and the most gorgeous brownie sundae.

While Barbara went to the rest room I asked the waiter if he could say happy birthday to Barbara for this Saturday. He said he would see what he could do as they normally only do them if it is on the day. True to his word, when Barbara came back, he got the mike at the end of one of the songs and came over and sang happy birthday to Barbara. She was gob smacked! As we left they had all the guests doing the conga in and out of the place and some Americans were shouting happy birthday to Barbara as we left. Great fun.

We finally moved on and luckily only had to go next door to see our Broadway show at the Winter Gardens. Mama Mia!
We were in the third row with a fantastic view and from the second this started we were totally hooked.
The evening flew and we loved it all. I thought no one would shape up to Pierce Brosnan but the actor who played the part of Sam was gorgeous. In fact all the cast were brilliant and we were blown away by the show. We came out on such a high and back to the hotel to crash once again as we had our very very early start next day going to Niagara Falls.

Edited at 09:15 PM.
Old 2 Dec 08, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great report Jean. Your photo's are again fantastic. I feel like I have been to New York now
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
nattyk
Imagineer

fab fab fab reports - dh and I are off in Jan (to visit BIL who lives there) can't wait..

x
2008 (April) - Villa Windsor Hills, 2009 (Dec) - Villa Tuscan Hills, 2012 (Aug) Regal Palms/Marco Island 2013 (Aug) NY & Orlando, 2015 (Aug) AMI & Orlando, 2016 (Aug) Cabana Bay & AMI, 2017 (Dec) Orlando Villa Formosa Gardens
nattyk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkers
Imagineer

Really enjoying your report, can't wait for the next. Niagra falls is next on my list to do!

Suzanne x

Hilton Head April 2018
China & Japan Sept 2018
Portugal Oct 18
Tinkers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
A great day Jean glad u enjoyed the duck tour, fantastic pics
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
pepsicube
Imagineer

Loving your trippie, but didn't the people next to you mind you photographing their lunch?
pepsicube is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post

fantastic! im very jealous!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 08, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I'm still loving your reports Jean (though shame on you for not making it to K Mart today )
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List