Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 4 Aug 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Canada - May you said, oh yeah!- Lake Louise May 28th

Tuesday May 28th

Today we had to leave Jasper with hindsight we would have stayed another couple of days but the good thing is we have another reason to go back

Today was probably one of our most varied animal days and most in terms of quantity as well.

We were still waking early, probably a combination of going to bed earlyish, hearing the trains on the other side of the road, the fact it started to get light around 4.30 and remains of jet lag. It actually worked quite well for us as it meant less cars/people around and more chance of spotting wildlife. We were up and out and headed to Maligne Lake before 6. Lots of animals on the way up including Elk on the outskirts of Jasper and a black bear that we had probably seen before beside Medicine lake. In fact Medicine Lake was one of the best spots for birds as well including bald eagles on a nest and ospreys.
We stopped at the Maligne canyon wilderness kitchen for fruit, muffin& hot chocolate (me) and croissant & coffee(Neil) which we ate outside in the sun by the river. This seems a lovely restaurant and would love to have a proper meal here sometime in the future.

Back to hotel to finish packing before picking up a sack lunch and heading south back to lake Louise. Again my notes are a bit scrappy but I'm pretty sure we went via the 93a coming out at the Athabasca Falls but didnt' stop, stopping instead at the goats and glaciers viewpoint, Sunwapta falls, and across the road from the Glacier visitors centre en route. We had picked up a sandwich/salad lunch and ate this by the visitor centre.
I think along by Bow Lake we came across this happy little gang which had caused a bit of a traffic jam!

The drive was pretty uneventful and easy driving. It was very nice to drive into the Fairmont Lake Louise rather than slumming it in the public car park When we got to check in we discovered we had been upgraded to 1 bed suite with lake view, very fancy We were told that we had been chosen as guest of the day dh ever the cynic said that it was because we were only staying 1 night and they needed the basic room to keep the Rocky Mountaineer passengers together. I didn't care why, it was just lovely that we had been upgraded. We certainly would have got fit if we had stayed any longer though as it was quite a route march to get to the room! Anyway it wasn't quite ready when we got there so we had a wander round the shops while we waited for it. Dd had wanted a new Roots hoody so we facetimed her with me modelling the different ones for her to choose. We also had a browse at the concierge desk to decide where to eat later.

Anyway we went back to get our room and wow it was lovely. It had a doorbell I've never had a doorbell in a hotel room Big long hallway with doors to the bathroom and coat cupboards then leading into bedroom with sliding doors into a lounge. The bed was sooo comfortable but really high especially for a smallish person like me! The photo is the view from our room but can't remember when exactly I took it!

We had already been for a short walk around the lake but dh decided he wanted to go out again. I decided to go for a swim instead. I did enjoy doing some lengths but the pool isn't really representative of the hotel as a whole, although it fits in with the 1930's age/theme of the hotel.
The changing rooms were quite small so I just padded back to my room in a big fluffy robe and had a shower there instead with the really nice rose toiletries

Once dressed again I decided to investigate the hotel and found these beautiful stained glass windows as well as the ballroom. The windows are all of different aspects of life in the rockies, there is a bear, a salmon, bird and I'm not sure of the other 2! I then went back and enjoyed the lounge in our room and read for a while waiting for dh to come back.

He had enjoyed his walk and had spotted a porcupine which he reckoned was newly emerged from hibernation and still to grow its spines for the year! I didn't know they shed them, but I guess it must be pretty uncomfortable to sleep for 6 months while you are all spikeyr

We decided to eat in the Lake View restaurant as we didn't have the right clothes for the others and we would have to stay inside! It was still warm and the terrace had blankets and heaters so outside we went. We weren't going to pass up the chance to eat with the view we had!

Our server was Kevin, who was just fantastic. He obviously thought we were barmy as we stayed out until about 10.30 but it was still light so why go in! The meal although expensive was amazing, and to think this is the casual restaurant! I started with a Seedlip non-alcoholic cocktail - I had read about this drink and thought I would try it.
It does really taste like gin IMO!
Unusually we both went for the same meals, squid to start
followed by duck.
I can't remember what dh had for dessert but I had some kind of apple bombe but forgot to take a picture until i was halfway through!
We finished with a mint tea for me and I think dh had a nightcap but can't remember sorry We waddled and swayed back to our room to find some lovely chocolate covered blueberries waiting for us which strangely we couldn't resist!

We then hit the ultra comfy bed not sure if we would make our plan of getting up early enough to get to Moraine for sunrise!

Edited at 05:03 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
dibdobber
Serious Dibber

dibdobber's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Fab photos!
dibdobber is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Beautiful. Your early starts are really paying off with wildlife spotting.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Oh my . How fantastic to see all that wildlife and wow to the upgrade, fab hotel and spectacular view.
Dinner sounds perfect .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List