General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 1 Sep 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
HEMANCLOFTY
Dibbing with Tink

HEMANCLOFTY's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Europa Park(s): Planes, Coaster-Trains & Autobahns (Aug 19) - Travel Day

Europa Park(s): Planes, Coaster-Trains & Autobahns (Aug 19)

Travel Day - Tuesday 20th August

The Index is here

An early start for us today – our flight (from Stanstead) wasn’t until 1:50pm, but we didn’t want to risk getting stuck in traffic, so we set off at 6:30am.

The sat nav said that the M6/A14/M11 and M40/M25/M11 routes were similar ETAs - we opted for the M25 option, knowing that the A14 can be a bit of a nightmare.

As usual, we stopped at the local shop to stock up on soft drinks and crisps for the journey (£4.99).

Not much traffic for a Tuesday morning and we were at Beaconsfield eXtra services by 8:30am – getting a Bacon Roll for Tom (£3.39) and a Cappuccino for me (free with loyalty card)...

We chilled until 9am, then got back on the road. The M25 and M11 were also clear and we were pulling in at Welcome Break Birchanger (which is the junction before Stanstead) at 10:25am.

Our parking (at Long Stay) was booked from 11am and it was about 10:50am as we were driving through the barrier. We parked in J/K Row 8 - Bus Stop 5 was closest, but not in operation – Stop 6 was only 100 yards away...

We’d just missed a shuttle, but it was only 10 minutes until the next one, and we were at the terminal by 11:15am...

Rich had a smoke, then we went to Zone F for the Ryan Air self-bag-drop. Our cases weighed in at 18.6kg for the hard-shell and 15.8kg for the soft-shell.

Another smoke for Rich and we joined the Security line at 11:50am – waiting about 10 minutes or so to get through.

Usual mooch around Duty Free and various shops – getting a bottle of Pepsi Max Cherry each for the boys from WHSmiths (£3.50). I fancied some chips so we checked out the various restaurants, deciding on Burger King (£8.67 for 3 Large fries). They weren’t the best and not very hot, but filled a hole...

By the time we’d eaten it was time to go to our gate, which was a bit of a trek…

We took off on time at 1:50pm and landed in Baden Baden at 4:10pm (German time) – Passport control was quick and we waited about 10 mins for our cases.

Tom and I waited here whilst Rich popped for a smoke…

I’d thought that we had to get a shuttle to the Car Hire village, but the Europcar desk was literally around the corner from where we were sat. Sorting the car was simple, I just had to sign the paperwork, show my drivers licence and then a guy took us out to the car – an Opel Corsa...

It was just over an hour’s drive from Baden Baden to our hotel in Ringsheim – we got to see the new Rulantica entrance / waterfall as I took the wrong lane off the exit roundabout - it was very impressive (pic from Google)...

Our hotel (Holiday inn Express Ringsheim) was only 5 mins from the Rulantica sign and we arrived at 5:45pm…

Check in was nice an easy and they gave me a choice of paying now or on checkout – I chose checkout.

Our room was really nice – Tom had a good-sized sofa bed…

You could see Silver Star in the distance...

We rested for a bit and I unpacked, then we rang Mom and headed out for something to eat at 7:30pm. There was a McDonalds and Burger King about a 10-minute drive away – we opted for Maccys.

I went for the Signature Fresh meal, Rich had a Big Mac with Bacon meal, plus a small Chicken Burger… and Tom had the Royal Kase (Quarterpounder with Cheese) meal - Total €26.56.

I only got a pic of mine...

We all fancied something sweet, so got some desserts - a McFlurry for Tom, a Karamel Sundae for me and a Dragonfruit Tart for Rich - Total €5.29...

A tyre pressure warning light had come on the car in the last 10 minutes of the drive from the airport - the panel was now showing that we needed some air, so we'd have to sort it in the morning (luckily we were right by a petrol station)...

The sunset was lovely...

We’d spotted a Norma supermarket around the corner from the hotel, so we parked the car and walked around to it – however it closed at 8pm, so we just popped into the petrol station to get some cigarettes for Rich (approx €7).

We were back in the hotel by 9pm...

...ready for an early night ahead of a full day at Europa park tomorrow

My Netflix app was playing up, so I ended up watching a show called American Housewife on Amazon prime - this ended up being my go-to watch for the trip and I watched all 24 episodes of season 1 over the week

Today's Stats:
Step Count: 10,351 (= 4.5 miles / 7.25 km)
Driving: approx 85km

Day 1, Europa Park is Here

Edited at 10:14 AM.
HEMANCLOFTY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List