Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 22 Aug 19, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

book a cruise direct with cruise line or through an agent?

So I'm pretty used to booking Disney holidays... sometimes I'll do it all directly with the airlines, hotel etc. and other times when the cost works out I'll go with virgin holidays or similar.

With the cruise lines, is there any point in going to one of the many cruise line agent websites or is it best to book direct?

Are there any great savings or advantages to be had going through an agent? for example rolcruise was on TV a few moments ago listing all the cruise lines they could book, but if there's no advantage...
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 02:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

We booked our cruise which we are on at the moment through cruise 118. It saved us about £200. The travel agent was useless with her knowledge about our particular ship though. For example I asked her when we can book the shows and she said oh you don't book you just turn up. However due to the DIBB I knew that we could pre book. We also missed out on dining slots because she said we couldn't pre book. I have read several times though that you always get a better deal through a travel agent but you might also need to do some research and not just rely on your travel agent for information.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

It really does depend on the cruise company. Disney for example it is unlikely you would have any advantage booking with a UK travel agent. A US agent might offer some for of Onboard Credit for you which would be a bonus.

For September I was looking for a Disney & Cruise holiday and Virgin Holiday's did actually price out cheaper but I couldn't tell which part that was on - the cruise or WDW
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We have booked cruises both with U.K. agents and direct but the decision depends on price. Our preference is direct because we are able to make adjustments or iron out problems direct rather than go through the agent - who can be less than helpful once they have secured the booking.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I looked into all 3 options

Book myself direct through Disney
Book with an Irish travel agent
Book with an American Travel Agent - Dreams Unlimited

I decided to book with Dreams Unlimited as they were the only ones to give me onboard credit. However, I did alot of research before and gave Dreams Unlimited a request for a specific stateroom.

When I made the booking my specific room request wasnt available so I accpeted the next best room. However about 2 days later the Dreams Unlimited agent contacted me to say that my original request was now available and she changed my room for me. If I had booked direct or with an Irish travel agent I would have missed this.

With Dreams Unlimited I got my Disney confirmation number about 36 hours after paying my deposit and can log into My Disney Cruise on the website and App.

Another advantage to using an American Travel agent is that you book and pay in US dollars. This means that you can book things like stateroom gifts online once you log into My Disney Cruise. If you book with Pounds Sterling or Euros you have to phone and you can only do this once you have paid in full.

I'm only using the American Travel Agent for the onboard credit, all the other info I'm researching myself here and other Disney Cruise forums and websites.

Edited at 09:26 AM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
I looked into all 3 options

Book myself direct through Disney
Book with an Irish travel agent
Book with an American Travel Agent - Dreams Unlimited

I decided to book with Dreams Unlimited as they were the only ones to give me onboard credit. However, I did alot of research before and gave Dreams Unlimited a request for a specific stateroom.

When I made the booking my specific room request wasnt available so I accpeted the next best room. However about 2 days later the Dreams Unlimited agent contacted me to say that my original request was now available and she changed my room for me. If I had booked direct or with an Irish travel agent I would have missed this.

With Dreams Unlimited I got my Disney confirmation number about 36 hours after paying my deposit and can log into My Disney Cruise on the website and App.

Another advantage to using an American Travel agent is that you book and pay in US dollars. This means that you can book things like stateroom gifts online once you log into My Disney Cruise. If you book with Pounds Sterling or Euros you have to phone and you can only do this once you have paid in full.

I'm only using the American Travel Agent for the onboard credit, all the other info I'm researching myself here and other Disney Cruise forums and websites.
We have used US TAs (not Disney cruises)and I would agree that they are generally more attentive, give greater incentives and work harder for their clients. Unfortunately, the falling exchange rate has ruled this out for us over the past few years - too big a gamble.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
We always use a US TA, but I would recommend newbies book direct currently in ££ unless the US TA can take ££ payments.

The exchange rate is way too dodgy currently and anything booked in $$ could end up costing you more than you had originally thought.

I'm a massive advocate of most US TAs, but right now, I'd just book direct.
Old 23 Aug 19, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

In the past we've always booked direct with the cruise line. However for our P&O cruise this month we booked with Planet Cruise and they saved us about £75 on the cabin price. Not a huge deal but as we were booking 3 cabins for a family trip it added up. They gave us log in details for the P&O website so we were able to manage the cruise on there just as if we booked direct. I sent P&O several requests and queries and they didn't tell me I had to go back to the agent. Just had to make the payments through Planet Cruise. So I'd say it was definitely worth saving a bit and going with an agent.

Try ringing the agent as well as looking online- the online discount was only small but they gave us extra when we rang.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I think the answer to this is - it depends which cruise line you want to sail with.

If it's DCL, I'd currently do direct.
Anyone else, you may get a better deal direct or through a TA. Once you've chosen your cruise line, it may be best to come back and ask then - someone with experience of that cruise line can step in to help.

Joa