Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Sep 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Totally depends what you want to do. I have been to Atlanta multiple times (and Six Flags there which is good) and DC.
I'd say you could fill a week with Atlanta if doing Six Flags- that's 3 days as you can do 2 days at the park and one at the water park, , things like downtown, aquarium, Coca Cola factory.
DC is fabulous, especially if you like monuments and museums.
Is this a 1 week standalone trip?
Atlanta is a great start to a 2 week road trip. Say 3 nights there, then drive into the smokies, then the Carolinas.
A good hotel near Six Flags Atlanta is the Hilton Garden Inn Lithia Springs.
In DC we stayed at the JW Marriott which is as good as it gets location wise (close to White House).

Thank you. We are only looking at a week, unfortunately. I would love to do a road trip in the future, so will definitely keep Atlanta for a couple of days in mind.
Love Marriott, we would most likely book through them as we are part of Bonvoy Will look at JW
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Washington DC is my absolute favourite. I have been half a dozen times or so and still havent seen everything it has to offer. The museums and sights are amazing and mostly free! I love the cool vibe of the different areas like Alexandria or National Harbor. Its just fabulous!
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk

Mobile

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
Washington DC is my absolute favourite. I have been half a dozen times or so and still havent seen everything it has to offer. The museums and sights are amazing and mostly free! I love the cool vibe of the different areas like Alexandria or National Harbor. Its just fabulous!
I hadn’t heard of these areas, fab! Thank you
Lindsk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lindsk View Post
I hadn’t heard of these areas, fab! Thank you

Dont forget Georgetown as well. It has the Exorcist steps and St Elmos Fire was filmed there. Its brilliant to wander around in. Also we went to a baseball game last year. Go to ticket booth on day and ask for their cheapest tickets. We managed to get them for $5 each. We had been going to visit the hotel across the roof as it has a very col roof terrace but for $5 we couldnt refuse! Great day out
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindsk

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
Dont forget Georgetown as well. It has the Exorcist steps and St Elmos Fire was filmed there. Its brilliant to wander around in. Also we went to a baseball game last year. Go to ticket booth on day and ask for their cheapest tickets. We managed to get them for $5 each. We had been going to visit the hotel across the roof as it has a very col roof terrace but for $5 we couldnt refuse! Great day out
Ooh St Elmos Fire! Love that film Will definitely have to visit those sites as well. And great idea for a baseball game - $5 is amazing! thanks
Old 6 Sep 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
janey2000
Excited about Disney

Dc 100 percent! I just said last week its the one city id go back to in the U.S. lots to see, we rented bikes too which was fun!

Pre trip report - Aug 2014 Florida and Georgia
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=794593
janey2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We had 5 nights in DC last year and loved it - and will definitely go back at some point.
Maybe I am just a tight git - but did not think the hotels were very reasonable, especially if you had a car to park which is very expensive.

City was wonderful. So much different things to see and do, felt very safe there.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
Maybe I am just a tight git - but did not think the hotels were very reasonable, especially if you had a car to park which is very expensive.
I agree that prices in DC are generally expensive (as in most major cities), however we stayed next to the Pentagon at the Residence Inn, where we had a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite with kitchen and living room for our family of 5 (3 teens) and it included breakfast and an evening reception of drinks, snacks, hot food like nachos, and it was approx £150 a night which I think is a bargain! It was a less than 10 min subway ride to the national mall and I’d stay there again without hesitation. We booked early with a ‘pay on arrival’ option and I kept checking prices and rebooking every time it dropped.
TinkerBabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just back from Washington - absolutely fantastic. Great walking city, the areas you'll want to visit are all walkable or use your Uber app to pick up an electric scooter or electric bike.

We walked miles and loved it.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Blast Furnace
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Another vote for DC! Came back Tuesday after a 5 night trip. Took in a couple of the museums, Arlington Georgetown and many of the sites. Didn’t apply for White House or CH tours as didn’t think we’d have time but will definitely go back and do this, Alexandria, National Harbour. City is easily walkable but with the heat, we used the old town tram, the 3 day metro pass (30$) and also the water taxi. For the inner nerd in me, took the Amtrak from Union Station to Newark before flying home, a 3 hour trip going through Baltimore, Philadelphia, Wilmington and Trenton. I really enjoyed but my wife was underwhelmed. Another tip is for Tyson’s Corner, a good sized mall with great eateries on site.
Blast Furnace is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List