Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Sep 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I have a question.

If it is announced that TC has gone into administration , at what point would we book new flights? Is it something we would do straight away or do we have to wait for some official notification that our flights are cancelled.
I have never been in this situation before.
I was about to ask exactly the same question.

We are booked flight only with TC next spring with a CC. In terms of worry and stress we are a million miles away from travellers whose flights are imminent. However we checked both BA and VS this morning for our 2020 dates and currently we could book at maybe only £200 more than we've paid TC. But obviously like you we don't want to have two "live" bookings until we know that legally our CC repayment will kick in.

We did consider doing a BA Fly-drive with only a small deposit and cancel but even that might be just throwing money away.

Mick
Old 21 Sep 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
I was in this situation with monarch. I got online and rebooked new flights immediately. Within hours the prices had seriously increased. The moment they announce administration at that point the fleet will be grounded. I didn’t get any notification from Monarch - I got a letter from the administrators weeks later.
Cheers - you answered the question as I was typing - very slowly

Mick
Old 21 Sep 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I was about to ask exactly the same question.

We are booked flight only with TC next spring with a CC. In terms of worry and stress we are a million miles away from travellers whose flights are imminent. However we checked both BA and VS this morning for our 2020 dates and currently we could book at maybe only £200 more than we've paid TC. But obviously like you we don't want to have two "live" bookings until we know that legally our CC repayment will kick in.

We did consider doing a BA Fly-drive with only a small deposit and cancel but even that might be just throwing money away.

Mick
Do you know Mick, that’s a pretty good idea. I would be tempted to do that if I had a booking for next year and was able to cancel if need be. Or even move the deposit to another booking at a later date if able to do so.
We are all just playing a waiting game.
The flights I have seen for the week after next aren’t hugely expensive, but yes, will be more than we have paid so if they do ( fingers crossed for everyone they don’t) go down at least the money we will get back from our CC will at least go some way towards paying for them.
As I said before, if it was just myself and my dh I honestly wouldn’t be as bothered. But as we are going with 6 other people, 4 of them kids , that haven’t been before I’m a bit gutted for them that the focus has changed from getting excited to being worried. the kids don’t know right enough just the adults but that’s bad enough.

Edited at 03:44 PM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
SophieLou
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Junogirl1 View Post
We’re due to fly out next month with Thomas Cook. We have been looking for new flights but can’t do anything until we hear something because we don’t have the money. We booked flights only and are not ATOL/ABTA protected. I think we are with insurance but if not, would we be able to claim Section 75 on a credit card as we booked with a credit card?
We're booked for Cyprus in less than 3 weeks (though on here as DIBBers know best!) - like yourself flight only. Our travel insurance told me today not covered unless we're actually out there and spending extra to get home (though he didn't sound like he knew much so I could try again - he was saying ATOL covered which it isn't and think he was reading stuff off Google). Also there is usually an excess on these policies so sounds like credit card route is the best one to try. I'm hoping to rebook Jet2 flights but waiting to have it confirmed while worrying about price increases. Good to know that I should do it immediately and not wait to hear from TC. Stressful!
SophieLou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi, I don’t work for Thomas Cook but have worked for many years at the sharp end of credit management. I would really think they are desperately, desperately trying to find a way to raise funds to survive. It won’t be burying heads in the sand.

If they go into admin (which seems pretty likely) there are pretty much no winners. Creditors will get pennies on the pound and so on.

I really hope everyone involved in this (staff, travellers, everyone) isn’t too badly affected.
sorry Karen did not mean to come across blasse worded badly but you got my drift i agree i believe they will be working their socks off to get something done no doubt
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
Do you know Mick, that’s a pretty good idea. I would be tempted to do that if I had a booking for next year and was able to cancel if need be. Or even move the deposit to another booking at a later date if able to do so.
We are all just playing a waiting game.
The flights I have seen for the week after next aren’t hugely expensive, but yes, will be more than we have paid so if they do ( fingers crossed for everyone they don’t) go down at least the money we will get back from our CC will at least go some way towards paying for them.
As I said before, if it was just myself and my dh I honestly wouldn’t be as bothered. But as we are going with 6 other people, 4 of them kids , that haven’t been before I’m a bit gutted for them that the focus has changed from getting excited to being worried. the kids don’t know right enough just the adults but that’s bad enough.
Sandra

We've used BA Fly-drive before and perfectly happy with them as I know that the car is fully insured. I've also just check the VS (flight only) Ts & Cs and they say they will hold a booking for 24 hours and up till then you can cancel without charge. I guess BA may say the same

Board meeting tomorrow says an unnamed source at "The Times" so we might just hang on till Monday at least.

Mick
Old 21 Sep 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

If you can reserve it for 24 hours, I would do it first thing in the morning. This will then give you until Monday morning to make a decision- cancel it if TC pulls through (then its waiting for the DC committee on Monday, then the shareholder and court hearing on Friday) or you can see what prices are like and if they are shooting up- confirm the booking.
Old 21 Sep 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Markpc2013
Imagineer

My step daughter is due to fly out Flight Only on 28/10/19. She has today “booked” new flights with United EDI-EWR-MCO using their hold the fare option for 7 days. Cost £20 but she now has backup flights booked for the same days for £500 return (cheaper than the original TC flights) with seats reserved in case TC do fold. Hopefully they decide within 7 days or goodness knows what she’ll do next but might be useful for others to lock in prices for a week before they go up if the worst does happen!

Edited at 04:18 PM.
Markpc2013 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
I was in this situation with monarch. I got online and rebooked new flights immediately. Within hours the prices had seriously increased. The moment they announce administration at that point the fleet will be grounded. I didn’t get any notification from Monarch - I got a letter from the administrators weeks later.
I heard Monarch was going under about midnight on the Sunday.

I got up 6am and booked Ryanair flights (for Portugal which was 5 weeks away).

As you say, prices then went up, but I got in before people realised.
Old 21 Sep 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Markpc2013 View Post
My step daughter is due to fly out Flight Only on 28/10/19. She has today “booked” new flights with United EDI-EWR-MCO using their hold the fare option for 7 days. Cost £20 but she now has backup flights booked for the same days for £500 return (cheaper than the original TC flights) with seats reserved in case TC do fold. Hopefully they decide within 7 days or goodness knows what she’ll do next but might be useful for others to lock in prices for a week before they go up if the worst does happen!
Smart.