Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Sep 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all some very helpful ideas. I think she would be able to reach a bolt that he could also reach. The one on the front door (if it was on) is quite near the top of the door. I think I could reach it and I’m smaller than MIL.

The floor mats are a great idea and the door alarms would work too.

They are not in the place yet of considering a care home (I know it’s inevitable at some point).

Thank you all again.
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

In the early stages of having Alzheimers we tried a couple of things which worked initially :-

- Put a mirror on the inside of the front door
- A sign on the door saying "Violet, you live here".

Later on we added a tag to her keyring (she was obsessed with making sure she had her keys with her at all times). The tag alerted us when she left home and used a sat nav type app which logged where she was so that we could find her.

Eventually, the only option was a Care Home.
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

My dad started to wander out in the early hours and the police took him home twice. My mum had to lock all the doors and windows and hide the keys so he couldn't get out. It worked for a while but he had to go in a care home eventually as he would turn on the gas but not the pilot light and turn on the bath taps with the plug in and walk away. He flooded the bungalow twice. He also got in the car to drive although his licence had gone back to the DVLA. It wore my mum to a frazzle and he happened to flood the bathroom while the social worker was there and the decision to have him in a care home was more or less taken out of mum's hands. She just couldn't cope any longer. She tried tying a bell on the door, putting an extra bolt on the top, and put a chair against the door so she could hear if he moved it. Sadly mum has now been diagnosed as well so I know what's coming.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Deggs
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I saw a programme about dementia once and they actually put a curtain across the front door as to them that doesn’t even register as a door and they left it alone. I have looked after someone with dementia and we had a door alarm on the bedroom door, and a mattress sensor pad on the bed. They all came from Lifeline.

Deggs x
Deggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

I used to work in the training department of adult social care and recall a training document on Alzheimer’s where they mentioned having a curtain across the door because patients were always on the way to somewhere but couldn’t always remember where once they got going. If the curtain covered the door they didn’t always use it. They also had a photo of themselves on the bedroom door to find the way back.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My Nan has dementia and we were getting concerned that this would happen. Unfortunately an incident on Xmas day happened and my mum and auntie decided to put her in a care home as they were getting increasingly worried.
Having her in a care home has meant my mum and auntie don’t need to worry about her as much with regards to getting lost etc.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

More fantastic advice - the mirror and the curtain is definitely worth a try!
Old 22 Sep 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Karen, I’m so sorry to hear this x

I haven’t got any practical advice, but if there is anything we can do to help you all, we are here xx
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
JP13
Apprentice Imagineer

My mum got out in the early hours and fortunately somebody called the police and she had her phone with her so the officers called me ( another tip- if they have a phone have your name as ‘my daughter [name] ‘, makes it easier for you to be contacted).
We tried alarm pad in her bed, on the stairs and on the door- she became quite ingenious at bypassing them all...
Eventually I had to have a live in carer as it was a 24 hour job looking after her- she’s now in a care home and because there’s plenty to occupy and distract her she doesn’t seem to need to wander anymore.
Good luck with it all - it’s such a cruel illness.
JP13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 02:49 AM  
Link to this Post
BeJimmieDaw
Looking for my Ears

Keeping AlzheimerÂ’s patients safe at night

After all these years and all my lurking and long hiatuses, this still feels like home. Dont take my home away. Your brain is evil. Also good to see you
BeJimmieDaw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List