Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Aug 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

I get why people do it, but as a special experience, it has to be on the way out. No way would i pay thousands just for a sleep on the return leg. id want to enjoy the experience as much as i could, especially if its a 1 time thing.
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you only fly Business Class then they "save you money" for sure!
Agree. There is no way I would get on a ten hour flight unless I am in club / upper. We manage to get most of our flights with points and companion vouchers, but sometimes we pay cash and it helps to top up points too.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Agree. There is no way I would get on a ten hour flight unless I am in club / upper. We manage to get most of our flights with points and companion vouchers, but sometimes we pay cash and it helps to top up points too.
Are you not into the old cattle class then?
Egon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Are you not into the old cattle class then?
I'm with Claudette here and am not into flying long haul in economy. I guess we all have choice and mine is to find a way to travel in club, upper or first.

I am not overweight or tall but simply dont enjoy travel in economy, I like space and see of access. I dont care about the food or the alcohol. I like a comfy seat where I can put my feet up and relax, sleep if I want and read or watch a movie.

Its worth every penny to me and my choice if I couldn't fly buisness would be to stay home where I'm equally comfortable.

I work hard at saving avios, currently have 1.1 million, we get two companion vouchers a year and I do all I can to work the system to get reduced prices buisness travel.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
I'm with Claudette here and am not into flying long haul in economy. I guess we all have choice and mine is to find a way to travel in club, upper or first.

I am not overweight or tall but simply dont enjoy travel in economy, I like space and see of access. I dont care about the food or the alcohol. I like a comfy seat where I can put my feet up and relax, sleep if I want and read or watch a movie.

Its worth every penny to me and my choice if I couldn't fly buisness would be to stay home where I'm equally comfortable.

I work hard at saving avios, currently have 1.1 million, we get two companion vouchers a year and I do all I can to work the system to get reduced prices buisness travel.
This absolutely fascinates me. As i am the complete opposite. When i looked, it was an additional 12k for business/upper and that just doesn't even compute with me. i was tempted a few years ago to try but i just could not justify it. an extra £1300 per hour for you to put your feet up astonishes me. with saving Avios etc how much would it cost to go business/UC for you? if you dont mind me asking?
Old 12 Aug 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

This absolutely fascinates me. As i am the complete opposite. When i looked, it was an additional 12k for business/upper and that just doesn't even compute with me. i was tempted a few years ago to try but i just could not justify it. an extra £1300 per hour for you to put your feet up astonishes me. with saving Avios etc how much would it cost to go business/UC for you? if you dont mind me asking?
Why do you think it is an extra 12K.

I now travel business class mostly and the return fares over economy that I have been consistently getting (mostly peak) are £600. My target price (which I generally achieve) is £1200 to Florida. But I would pay up to £1500.
I dont know why it "astonishes" you. What do you spend your money on? Your wording seems to try and put those down that spend in this way.
I will fly BC every time I can.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Why do you think it is an extra 12K.

I now travel business class mostly and the return fares over economy that I have been consistently getting (mostly peak) are £600. My target price (which I generally achieve) is £1200 to Florida. But I would pay up to £1500.
I dont know why it "astonishes" you. What do you spend your money on? Your wording seems to try and put those down that spend in this way.
I will fly BC every time I can.
In no way am i 'putting anybody down' im genuinely interested. I have several watches which for some people would tut and sigh at the price tags and say its "only a watch" whereas i see them as investments. So i totally get people spend their money however they see fit.

For me in the past when ive looked at prices to cover the family in UC with VA is usually around £4k each. which equates to 12k on top of an already expensive holiday. Im asking more to find out if i am missing out on something, am i looking in the wrong place, are there ways of boosting avios/miles?

Edited at 03:30 PM.
Old 12 Aug 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

For me in the past when ive looked at prices to cover the family in UC with VA is usually around £4k each. which equates to 12k on top of an already expensive holiday. Im asking more to find out if i am missing out on something, am i looking in the wrong place, are there ways of boosting avios/miles?
You must be looking in wrong place and at the wrong time, we (family of four) have never paid more than £2600 per person for UC from MAN with VS. This included Xmas, Easter and summer school holidays. Well over 30 sets of return UC flights and many reward seats earned and redeemed too using VS miles earning credit cards. I jumped on a bargain for DD at Xmas - £1430 UC return.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Egon
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
You must be looking in wrong place and at the wrong time, we (family of four) have never paid more than £2600 per person for UC from MAN with VS. This included Xmas, Easter and summer school holidays. Well over 30 sets of return UC flights and many reward seats earned and redeemed too using VS miles earning credit cards. I jumped on a bargain for DD at Xmas - £1430 UC return.
ill do a dummy booking, but i swear ive never seen it below 4k. Im not into credit cards to be honest. I have one for emergencies but it has never been used.
Old 12 Aug 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Many flights for £2061 in May June next year with 30 seconds of searching.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List