Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Apr 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile Which Amex credit card

Currently have a Lloyd’s Amex duo which earns Avios points. However Lloyd’s are changing it to a MasterCard only, something to do with UK lenders not being able to issue Amex cards.

So I’m going to cancel this as I would like an Amex as it’s useful for Costco plus I will put all our household spending on it as I do with the current card.

However I can’t decide between the Amex Gold or BA Exec.
We are flying BA this year as we got a good deal. But are nearest airport is Manchester so to use ba it’s either drive down or internal flight. Not a big issue just wondering if it’s better to go for a generic card so I can transfer points to either virgin or ba.

Or go for the ba one with the 2-4-1 voucher. How easy is it to use these? We are tied to school hols but don’t mind a few days out side of school hols, just not two weeks.

Amex card is fee free for the first year then £140. BA card is £195.

Sorry for rambling, any advice appreciated.
Thanks
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We use the ba exec one. We have already used 1 x 2 for 1 flight voucher last year and have another sitting. I really like it. My dh also has one and we go between them to get the best use. We have our avois linked in a household account. I almost have enough for 2 x business class flights to the west coast but I will hang on to that just now as I don’t need them till 2021 so just balancing the spends to ensure we have a valid 2 for 1 to use.
However I live right beside Glasgow airport so don’t have to travel far to get flights, but would always have to go indirect via London , but this doesn’t bother me.
Sandraoh40 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post

We have the BA Amex, the one with a fee which I think is worth it because it mean the 2-4-1 vouchers come around quicker.

We find it is very easy to get reward flights, we don’t go school holidays but I usually do a full year search and there seems t be lots of availability to various US airports. You do need to book well in advance though.

I couldn’t get Orlando for our trip in September as I did not book as early as normal, however I got flights to Atlanta, first class out and business back. We get away if first or business at least once a year and sometimes twice.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I used to have the Virgin AmEx but like your BA one it had to finish. I went with the Gold Preferred AmEx as t allow you to move your Amex point to LOADs of different loyalty programs inc Virgin, BA etc etc so you’re not tied down to any specific program. It also allows you to use the points on Amazon and other shopping and hotel websites so it’s a very versatile points program.
Old 4 Apr 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everybody.
Think I might go for the BA one. That 2-4-1 voucher is too good to pass up.
Don’t mind booking early and doesn’t have to be mco. Plenty of other places in the world.
Although definitely going for my 40th in 2021 would be nice to go club again for that.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
malt1977
Apprentice Imagineer

We’ve got the BA premium Amex (£190 annual charge, or there abouts), you get more Avios per pound and only have to spend £10k to get a companion voucher instead of the £20k that you have to on the free card.
malt1977 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would recommend the gold card. It has the best sign up bonus free for 1 year & comes with 2 airport lounge access!

You get a bonus of either 20,000 amex points or 22,000 which can be transferred to a wide range of airlines/hotels
Old 5 Apr 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cherylc5773
Helping Mickey

Look at the Costco Amex card, you get cashback in the form of Costco voucher, has no annual fee, and doubles as a costco card.
2019 - Rosen/RPR/Ft Lauderdale/Caribbean/Celebration
2020 - Tampa/Bermuda/Azores/Mallorca/Alicante/Barclelona
cherylc5773 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Both you and a partner can get a card each.

So you could get the gold now. Get the sign up offer, refer your partner. You both get extra for that referal.

The 2-4-1 voucher has a 2 year expiry date. No advantage to it if you will not have the 100-150k points and plan to travel biz/1st in that timeframe (and be able to book after 12 months ish). But once you are in sight of those points it is worth a lot.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sneezy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cherylc5773 View Post
Look at the Costco Amex card, you get cashback in the form of Costco voucher, has no annual fee, and doubles as a costco card.
Agree with this plus you get double cash back on travel purchases