Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jun 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

As others have said, follow the complaints procedure and I think if you’re not happy you can then complain to the Legal Ombudsman, although I think the person you complain about has to be a Solicitor and often the people doing conveyancing are not.

It’s annoyingly when lawyers don’t treat their clients properly, gives the rest of us a bad name.
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Thank you all.

I have had an email from the solicitor herself explaining that there had been issues with a sick relative which has got in the way of her work and the stand in at the office had also been off due to personal reasons.

This was a red rag to a bull. I do sympathise if she had family issues but it shouldn't get in the way of the basic right of a client to kn ow what is happening with their engagement.
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Mobile

Never had a good experience with conveyancing or other matters. Currently trying to evict a tenant in a buy to let property and solicitor is slower than the letting agents, who are dire, real headache!
Good luck with your complaint and I hope you get it sorted.
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
As others have said, follow the complaints procedure and I think if you’re not happy you can then complain to the Legal Ombudsman, although I think the person you complain about has to be a Solicitor and often the people doing conveyancing are not.

It’s annoyingly when lawyers don’t treat their clients properly, gives the rest of us a bad name.
Sadly this is true of a lot of professions not just the legal sector.
Old 18 Jun 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

See, every time I’ve dealt with conveyancing solicitors (either buying or selling) they’d been less than helpful and often not very proactive in contacting you or passing things on so you have to do a lot of the chasing to get things done. I have come to accept that this the way of conveyancers in general as virtually everyone else I know reports the same experience. Not very helpful I know, sorry OP!
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm a secretary in the conveyancing department of a firm of solicitors, a job I hate. I'd hate to do the solicitors job even more though. It's very complex and very highly pressurised. I had no idea of the complexities until doing this job. On top of that estate agents are a pain, frequently ringing for updates as they want their commission.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
We moved 2 years ago, and I had to hound the solicitor to get things moving. I'm sure they didn't appreciate it and I won't have been popular but it was incredibly frustrating not to get any communication, or just keep getting sent back the same 'list' of issues with no progress on any of them.

We were told our house (built by Bellway) didn't have any planning permission. That seemed unlikely to me but the solicitor was adamant and advised we drop out of the sale at the 11th hour. I ended up ringing the council myself and of course there was planning permission (I'd have been impressed if Bellway had built a huge estate without any), it was filed under Plot x, rather than our street name, but it took the lady at the council minutes to sort out, if I'd followed the solicitors advice I'd have lost the house, and the whole chain would have collapsed.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
We moved 2 years ago, and I had to hound the solicitor to get things moving. I'm sure they didn't appreciate it and I won't have been popular but it was incredibly frustrating not to get any communication, or just keep getting sent back the same 'list' of issues with no progress on any of them.

We were told our house (built by Bellway) didn't have any planning permission. That seemed unlikely to me but the solicitor was adamant and advised we drop out of the sale at the 11th hour. I ended up ringing the council myself and of course there was planning permission (I'd have been impressed if Bellway had built a huge estate without any), it was filed under Plot x, rather than our street name, but it took the lady at the council minutes to sort out, if I'd followed the solicitors advice I'd have lost the house, and the whole chain would have collapsed.
Although this must have been frustrating for you I found it an interesting read. Surely solicitors must have processes in place for new builds ? Or were they acting correctly by saying "this address doesn't exist"?

But I'm guessing you got it sorted which is the priority .
Old 19 Jun 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Although this must have been frustrating for you I found it an interesting read. Surely solicitors must have processes in place for new builds ? Or were they acting correctly by saying "this address doesn't exist"?

But I'm guessing you got it sorted which is the priority .
I don’t know the answer to that. Our house was 5 years old so maybe they didn’t follow the new build procedure. The solicitor said she was checking her system and ‘computer says no’ and she couldn’t seem to get past that.

In these situations I always feel for the solicitor you are one of many cases they are dealing with. If there is an issue it’s easiest for them to put it to one side and move onto the next case.
For yourself it’s the only ‘case’ you are dealing with. And your top priority. So you need to push it forward as no one else is as interested in it completing as you are.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I had a very bad experience a couple of years back when I sold my ‘student let’. It was 4 occupant and not a ‘HMO’ in my area. My estate agent recommended a company and an individual . That is where my problems started.
She was young, naive, clearly inexperienced and listened far too much to a Solicitor handling the affairs of my buyer.
1. On advice of buyers Solicitor, she demanded an electrical safety certificate. Non HMO’s do not require one.
2. At advice of buyers Solicitor, she pointed out that the Central heating boiler had gone 12 months and a week Between servicing and that the buyer sought a reduction on the basis that the warranty was invalid. I pointed out that it was not marketed with any remaining warranty.
3. The buyers Solicitor advised her that there was an issue with ownership of a parking spot. There was not and she already had land registry documents to prove it.
4. She went on holiday for a fortnight and didn’t re-allocate the job. She never told me that this was going to happen and her return left a mere fortnight to get things through.

31 March 2016 was crucial as stamp duty rules changed on that date for 2nd homes . On 1 April, another 3% would be payable and the buyer didn’t have it (as advised to her buyers Solicitor. My Conveyancer felt it highly unlikely that we could get it through in time. I told her to grow a spine, wise up and act for me, rather than the buyer and to keep trying as that was what she was being paid for. I was surprised that she didn’t sack me. I dictated a letter for her and this was sent to the buyers Solicitor. We got it through at 1645 on 31 March 2019.

Believe it or not, this was only a précis of the various issues that her incompetence and intransigence created. There were many more. My issue afterwards was that I have rather a high regard for the Estate agents that I have regularly used and it turned out that the Conveyancer was a personal friend of the Senior partner. To make a formal complaint would have alienated that partner at a time when they were marketing and selling my own family home, (successfuly).

With hindsight, I realised that my legal knowledge was greater than that of the Conveyancer. She was incompetent. Many Conveyancers are probably only suitable for very simple jobs and can get tripped up by any anomaly. Perhaps she should have consulted with a more senior colleague, rather than swallow any rubbish that she was fed by the opposition?

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:10 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List