Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Dec 16, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Amazon Echo "Witness" to murder?

Although it is tempting to make fun of this has a very serious aspect and I am posting because I know there is interest in these devices in this forum.

bbc/news/technology-38450658
Old 28 Dec 16, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Big brother really is watching the details about the amount of water used are interesting
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
hackaday/2015/07/18/hacki...gh-its-remote/

Either this, or ones ISP probably has the data.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Sort of takes shine off my witty comments about ours a bit... easy to forget it can pick up a lot of what's said... like the choice words I said this morning to the dog 🐶
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Sort of takes shine off my witty comments about ours a bit... easy to forget it can pick up a lot of what's said... like the choice words I said this morning to the dog 🐶
Luckily I've been single since I've had them. Lol.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

"Amazon objects to overbroad or otherwise inappropriate demands as a matter of course."

the wording of that is interesting, implying they could be open to supplying answers to more specific questions.

however, if its any reassurance, i'd run a packet sniffer/network trace on the device, and i know it definitely isnt sending everything it hears to amazon. it's only when triggered via its wake word(s)

but if youre ever in a similar situation, it might be worth saying something like "alexa, my husband/wife/friend dave is trying to murder me"... i know i would!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
"Amazon objects to overbroad or otherwise inappropriate demands as a matter of course."

the wording of that is interesting, implying they could be open to supplying answers to more specific questions.

however, if its any reassurance, i'd run a packet sniffer/network trace on the device, and i know it definitely isnt sending everything it hears to amazon. it's only when triggered via its wake word(s)

but if youre ever in a similar situation, it might be worth saying something like "alexa, my husband/wife/friend dave is trying to murder me"... i know i would!
I don't know much about the internal workings of the echo devices but where is the conversion of the spoken word to word data takes place?

Let me try and explain better...If I say "Alexa tell me a joke" does the Echo device just send the spoken waveform to the back end servers which is then converted to words ? Really struggling to explain what I am trying to ask here!
Old 28 Dec 16, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
Luckily I've been single since I've had them. Lol.
Lol
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 16, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by wanye View Post

It's well known the Alexa voice service sends your voice to an Amazon Web Server for decode and action, what is only now becoming apparent is that it's being stored. You can sign up to do it on your own web pages etc.

Like your idea about a packet trace, but we don't know exactly what or how long said data gets stored at AWS. I think that's an issue I'd like an answer to in light of this. 😀
Old 28 Dec 16, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I don't know much about the internal workings of the echo devices but where is the conversion of the spoken word to word data takes place?

Let me try and explain better...If I say "Alexa tell me a joke" does the Echo device just send the spoken waveform to the back end servers which is then converted to words ? Really struggling to explain what I am trying to ask here!
the voice conversion is done online, it uploads the sound clip to amazons servers, which is then converted to data. i'm not aware of amazons data retention policy on those uploaded voice files - but i would like to imagine that due to the size of storing them all, the recordings are dumped as soon as they've been converted...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List