Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Dec 16, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Very difficult. If overweight people can be charged extra then those underweight people will want a refund. There has to be an "ideal" weight that it is all based on. But then surely underweight people can balance out some overweight people ...

Having a total weight of the people in the booking plus their luggage would work maybe. Then the weight is averaged out between them all. Even so it can still be rather a humiliating experience for some people if this is all done in public. You can imagine some in the waiting line making horrible comments such as "bet they will get charged extra" etc etc ... then you will get the families that perhaps argue it saying the scales are wrong etc etc ...

Then there is me, I am well well overweight ... but if we were weighed as a family everyone else would balance me out, so we would not get charged extra ... that would upset some other people ...

I can see so many problems with weighing and paying ...
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

I remember the days of 2 cases per person in economy, now I am possibly wrong but wasn't this reduced to allow more cargo ?
Old 29 Dec 16, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
simbamad
Imagineer

simbamad's Reviews
Being over weight myself I would feel violated and discriminated against if I was forced to be weighed before taking a flight.
Old 29 Dec 16, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mazzie
Imagineer

mazzie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
I remember the days of 2 cases per person in economy, now I am possibly wrong but wasn't this reduced to allow more cargo ?
Exactly.

The average weight per person has also not been increased in over 30 years. People are (generally) bigger than they were then so the first thing that needs to be done is that.
mazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

How long will check in take if every passenger has to be weighed or will they just pick out the fat people to scrutinise for a weight check? Can of worms springs to mind.
Old 29 Dec 16, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
Nope... done so people pay for the 2nd bag. If it was for cargo no one would be able to pay for 2nd, 3rd etc bags.

Also less work for the baggage handlers so don't have to pay them so much for their services.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
All sounds like a load of rubbish to me, if every single person wanted to pay for a second bag the airline would happily take your money yet your telling me a few extra overweight people would cause the plane to crash?!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by simbamad View Post
Being over weight myself I would feel violated and discriminated against if I was forced to be weighed before taking a flight.
But there would be no discrimination if every person and their luggage was weighed.

To be honest I'm surprised that it doesn't already happen. A baseline of say 100kg, and extra paid for each 20kg over. That would be a greater incentive for the holiday diet, stop excessive luggage, and holiday spends would be reduced (less food and shopping ).

A typical family of 4 would easily be within the 400kg allowance, even me with my huge bottom.

Edited at 12:09 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Any system that goes on weight would be open to abuse - want to be the first airline to charge extra for a wheelchair, a pram, tall skinny athletic family over short fat one? No... so we will have exceptions - and wherever there are exceptions there are people willing to abuse them and to push all definitions to the edge.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
AndyJ
Imagineer

AndyJ's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 16
Let me say again, I don't think larger people should be charged more. I'd have certainly been in this category in 2003 at 23 stone.

My thoughts are more about distribution. It's a big subject, the FAA manual on this runs to 216 pages right now. I would not be against anonymous weighing as long as it was that.
AndyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List