Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
In light of TC how many dibbers actually use a high street travel agents

Is the high street travel agent dead

Good point Bozza. Trying to change poll

Edited at 08:52 AM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I do both online agent or direct with airline, depending on what’s the best option at the time. I never use a travel agent anymore, haven’t for years. We’ve popped into the stores on occasions but we seemed to always know more than them, and always could get a better deal going direct.
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Not sure what this question is intended to illustrate as Thomas Cook did a substantial amount of business online too. Without looking, I wouldn't be more surprised if they did more online than through their high street presence.

So, some of those who reply "online agents" may well be using Thomas Cook (many won't, of course).

Surely a more pertinent question is those who use an agent (high street and/or online) v those who book DIY.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I've always booked in store, usually TC or TUI, I like the whole experience of being in a store, even if I have been more knowledgeable than the staff in store. Years ago I used to go see same woman in my local high street store, tell her where I wanted to go, how much I wanted to spend and be there all morning having coffee with em, think high street booking though is seriously gonna die a death there's not many to choose from
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Not sure what this question is intended to illustrate as Thomas Cook did a substantial amount of business online too. Without looking, I wouldn't be more surprised if they did more online than through their high street presence.

So, some of those who reply "online agents" may well be using Thomas Cook (many won't, of course).

Surely a more pertinent question is those who use an agent (high street and/or online) v those who book DIY.
Any ideas how to change poll?
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I booked via a local travel agent this year. Glen Travel in Blantyre, they were able to get us pretty good direct Virgin flights and car hire for not much more than I would have paid booking direct and separately. I was able to pay a deposit with balance at ten weeks so it made sense. This is the first time in many years I have booked that way and I probably would again but possibly not a chain company more like an independent.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I tend to book any which way... I use online "travel agents" BA.com, build the holiday round a BA flight, or Virgin Holidays etc...

but also tend to do the scan of the travel agent window for the last minute bargain breaks - like in Oct 2015 - a weeks holiday for 4 in Lanzarote - looked on a Tuesday, left that Saturday, poolside apartment + flights + transfers, £349... was very nice.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Last time we went to Florida we booked with MMH, the times before that we have always done it ourselves. I think in the 90s we booked with virgin holidays.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Bit of everything tbh. Our May 2020 trip, I costed up online but went into our local VH store to book it. I just like booking face to face with a person so I can ask questions etc. I’m currently in Sorrento in Italy with DH and we booked this online through TUI. I’ve not tried DIY yet as I’m not 100% confident I won’t fudge something up.
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

I rarely buy anything outside of my grocery shop on he high street these days to be honest, so easy to buy on line and also to check you are getting the best price.